Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Black (041) 2.0L Apperance package car - will I be disowned if I put a /6 engine in it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a "spare" 2.4L engine needing a home. I know, I know, my car and I can do what I want but I don't think this black/appearance package/2.0L combination was falling off tree's back in the day. Original engine is long gone, so it won't ever be numbers matching but I do have a 2.0L in the right engine series for it.

I have a '74 1.8 shell I could build up instead of this one is better off being close to how it was born.

Thoughts?

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a good week.
DRPHIL914
if you had the original motor i’d say no, but a nice 2.4 you already have? i’d say yes. only modifications you are really making is welding the mount to the firewall. i’ve heard good things about Bob Seville’s NarroScapes (sp?) mount, but Mad Dog motorsport and Patrick Motorsport will all have their version for doing this. i guess the /6 tin has to be modified and side holes drilled for the stock oil tank for the /6. most say on a non-race car you don’t need a front oil cooler either. if i came along and could source a /6 2.4 or 2.7 let’s say, for same price as having to fix my /4, i’d store the 4 and put in the six. do what you want i think you will be glad you put in the six
mepstein
Whatever makes you happy
BillJ
If you have the patience/funds/desire to build another car go for it! If you are happy with the black car as it sits then you can customize the other car however you want. Plus you still get to drive a 914 while you build.

Agree without the original motor the value question is less relevant.
Mark Henry
A /6 conversion will be worth more than a non-matching numbers car.
But then a /6 conversion will be cost way more to build than a non-matching numbers car.
bbrock
I say go for it so my car becomes more valuable lol-2.gif

Kidding aside, I'm not really seeing that numbers matching is much of a factor in 914 values, at least not yet. I could be wrong, but with the exception of those rare low mileage, nearly pristine survivors (which obviously will be numbers matching) or an LE, I agree with Mark. Do what floats your boat.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 18 2021, 08:13 AM) *

A /6 conversion will be worth more than a non-matching numbers car.
But then a /6 conversion will be cost way more to build than a non-matching numbers car.

agree.gif

To do a six conversion correctly it's not going to be a money maker or even break even. As been said, whatever makes you happy. Either way sounds like a fun project.
ClayPerrine
It is your car. Do what makes you happy.

Clay
Shivers
The dimples for the oil tank are already there. It's almost like Porsche designed the 914 to have a six...Oh wait... smile.gif Boy the sound alone would make it worth the effort. And you have the engine, that is a tough one.
gereed75
the 2.0 four is not numbers matching It will never be an "original survivor" one owner, blah blah blah car. That possibility is gone.

build the six
PanelBilly
Put the 2.0 in it and drive it hard
Cairo94507
I don't think anyone has ever uttered the words "I wish I had not put that 6 in my 914..." beerchug.gif
Tdskip
First of all let me just say that I really really really appreciate the ability to post a topic like this and get peoples honest and experienced feedback. I consider myself very fortunate to be here as a member.

I think I’m going to juggle the build planning a bit to do this as a /6. Your thought above are kind of what I was thinking but I obviously I wanted to check out of respect for the car. That’s an a any incremental value gained or lost is secondary to my son’s enthusiasm and promise involvement in doing a build.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Shivers
A gentle prod biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 18 2021, 01:40 PM) *

First of all let me just say that I really really really appreciate the ability to post a topic like this and get peoples honest and experienced feedback. I consider myself very fortunate to be here as a member.

I think I’m going to juggle the build planning a bit to do this as a /6. Your thought above are kind of what I was thinking but I obviously I wanted to check out of respect for the car. That’s an a any incremental value gained or lost is secondary to my son’s enthusiasm and promise involvement in doing a build.

Thanks again gentlemen.

“secondary to my son’s enthusiasm and promise involvement in doing a build”

That’s the only thing that matters. People bring back rusty shells all the time. A six mount can be cut off and oil tank holes filled in an afternoon if the next possible owner couldn’t stand it.
SKL1
My son found a 2.4 we'll rebuild and since my '71 was my first car and will be in the family "forever" we will be converting it a 6 next year. As both my boys have told me over and over, I should have never sold our "real" '71 914-6 many years ago. It sounded reasonable at the time and it was replaced by a new 993 coupe...

So obviously I'd say GO FOR IT!
Tdskip
I will have my son introduce himself in the next month to so.

Thanks!
Chris914n6
Given the amount of work involved to swap I'd drive the 73 as is and build the 74 with the -6. The you will have 2 running 914s piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
I’d put a lot of weight on your personal color preference. If you really want a black six then go for it. If you prefer another color then keep the four in the black car and build the six in the other car with whatever color you want.
BENBRO02
If it had the original engine in it, I’d say don’t modify it but it doesn’t so I think a Brutus tribute would be cool.
Jett
Great advice on this thread.

Path 1: install / rebuild 2.0/4 - 6 weeks

Path 2: quality 6 conversion - 52 weeks (+/-)

smile.gif we are building a 6 conversion - 104 weeks (+/-)
Tdskip
Thanks for the discussion, I’m already down the /6 path with another 914 so have some familiarity. This would be the second conversation albeit easier since the 2.4L won’t need a front oil cooler. Notice I didn’t say easy, just easier.
Shivers
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 19 2021, 06:51 AM) *

Thanks for the discussion, I’m already down the /6 path with another 914 so have some familiarity. This would be the second conversation albeit easier since the 2.4L won’t need a front oil cooler. Notice I didn’t say easy, just easier.

You must live in the cooler part of town. My four is getting a front oil cooler. Gets hot around here.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Yikes, that is hot.

I love near the coast and generally take a modern car when it’s warm out.

Hang in there.
Shivers
Thanks. Four months of this then 8 months of nice. I'll work at night till then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.