Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: adding M calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jims914
Hello,

Has anyone have any good input about adding M calipers on front 70 914.
Different rotors, thicker pads ?
Any pros or cons.
any help would appreciated.
mepstein
Positive- They have more stopping power (if you need/want it) than stock calipers.
Negative - They only work on 3” 911/914-6 struts and hubs.
jims914
QUOTE(jims914 @ Jun 22 2021, 06:27 PM) *

Hello,

Any pros or cons.

The rear 911 M calipers have a 3in bolt pattern like the 914 4, is there a rotor to use or thicker pad ?
mepstein
QUOTE(jims914 @ Jun 22 2021, 10:11 PM) *

Hello,

Any pros or cons.

The rear 911 M calipers have a 3in bolt pattern like the 914 4, is there a rotor to use or thicker pad ?

M calipers, except for the solid rotor model on 912’s use a vented rotor. To use M calipers on the rear, you need a 911 ebrake ( I believe early works best) and tangerine racing adaptors. And some grinding and welding.
jims914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2021, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jims914 @ Jun 22 2021, 10:11 PM) *

Hello,

Any pros or cons.

M calipers, except for the solid rotor model on 912’s use a vented rotor. To use M calipers on the rear, you need a 911 ebrake ( I believe early works best) and tangerine racing adaptors. And some grinding and welding.

Sorry you are missing the point.
Thanks
mepstein
Sorry, the point isn’t very clear.

Using rear M on a stock 914 front? Probably not due to rotor & hub spacing. The caliper also uses vented rotors.
If it’s some other configuration, probably not that either. 914 & 911 brake parts don’t usually play nice together.
dhuckabay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2021, 08:13 PM) *

Sorry, the point isn’t very clear.

Using rear M on a stock 914 front? Probably not due to rotor & hub spacing. The caliper also uses vented rotors.
If it’s some other configuration, probably not that either. 914 & 911 brake parts don’t usually play nice together.

Have M on the front, like them. Just did a rebuild, hard to get the right pistons. They have a guide rod on the inside. Will say that Sierra Madre sorted it out, after a few failed attempts earlier. From doing a 911 at the same time it looks like the rears are the same.
Mark Henry
I have vented Alfa Brembos on the fronts with V-calipers, 914/4 calipers with spacers and turned down 911 vented rotors, on the rear.

The wife's 914 has M calipers on the fronts and welded /redrilled hubs with stock brakes on the rear.

The project 914 will be getting Alfa Brembos on the fronts as well.
9146C
This is a difficult post to follow...(maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet...)

The OP's initial question was installing M calipers on the front which was quickly answered.

In post #3, OP comes back and asks (I think???) if 911 M rears will work on the front of stock struts (???).

It may be helpful if the OP helps refine his question on what the end goal is...ie, street or track/autocross, eliminate brake fade, improved braking due to high HP engine swap, etc.

I think it would also be helpful to readers if the OP specifies if this is only an enquiry for front brake upgrade options. Is the OP limited to a budget upgrade and not intersted in upgrading the struts?

Just my $0.02...
larryM

X2

QUOTE(9146C @ Jun 23 2021, 06:27 AM) *

This is a difficult post to follow..
The OP's initial question was installing M calipers on the front which was quickly answered.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.