Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped Ground strap bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I did the bonehead maneuver of leaving the ground strap attached to the transmission and the body (below the rear trunk) when dropping my motor.

I have a harbor freight tap set but that didn't work trying to rethread the bolt.

Any other suggestions and or work arounds at the motor is back in the car and am waiting on a few things on order and would like to address this issue sometime soon.

It does look like its a bolt that actually goes all the way through and I was considering using a cut off wheel on the top and re welding a new bolt into the opening.

Hoping their is an easier fix but if I have to, what the heck.

Interested in seeing what other members have done to remedy this issue.

If you did replace the bolt please let me know what size and type you used so I can go pick up the correct size.

Thanks,

Gary
GregAmy
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 23 2021, 12:14 PM) *
I was considering using a cut off wheel on the top and re welding a new bolt into the opening.

Or just drill a hole through the floor at that location and run a button-head bolt down through it with a nut on the underside to retain it. Make it as long (or as short) as you want it.
930cabman
ALL of the power for the car goes through this cable. make sure you get a clean/solid contact area.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 23 2021, 09:31 AM) *

I was considering using a cut off wheel on the top and re welding a new bolt into the opening.

Or just drill a hole through the floor at that location and run a button-head bolt down through it with a nut on the underside to retain it. Make it as long (or as short) as you want it.

Exactly what I’d do too. Good advice!
Spoke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 23 2021, 01:31 PM) *

agree.gif

After drilling the hole, grind/sand/scrape all of the paint off around the hole top and bottom to ensure good electrical contact.
Krieger
Maybe try the next size smaller die on it. Not much to loose...
worn
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 23 2021, 09:14 AM) *

Hi all,

I did the bonehead maneuver of leaving the ground strap attached to the transmission and the body (below the rear trunk) when dropping my motor.

I have a harbor freight tap set but that didn't work trying to rethread the bolt.

Any other suggestions and or work arounds at the motor is back in the car and am waiting on a few things on order and would like to address this issue sometime soon.

It does look like its a bolt that actually goes all the way through and I was considering using a cut off wheel on the top and re welding a new bolt into the opening.

Hoping their is an easier fix but if I have to, what the heck.

Interested in seeing what other members have done to remedy this issue.

If you did replace the bolt please let me know what size and type you used so I can go pick up the correct size.

Thanks,

Gary

My suggestion will trash some paint but I would put a bolt in and braze it to the body. The orange flux covered silver bearing rods seem to flow better than most and they cost more than most, but not that bad. MAPP gas will work but the heat affected zone will be larger than if you use acetylene. One thing to keep in mind is that the factory covered this region in brass. That is where your electrons are going, not through the bolt. So if you replace the bolt with one that goes through the body to a nut, it will work fine.
Wew
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I ended up taking a cut off wheel to the top of the bolt in the rear trunk.
Other end of the bolt fell out after cut off complete. I did see the brass doughnut.
I ground things down just a touch to get a level paint free surface.
Then I took a bolt, same size as original and welded it into place.
Primed it and will paint with rattle can (matching color)
Hopefully this solves my problem and give me a nice solid ground.

Thanks again,

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.