Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bloopers/screwups
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Many of us have seen all different screwups caused by prior owners and some of them by ourselves. Just thinking, should we have a thread just for this?

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
I don't use head gaskets biggrin.gif
roblav1
An eye opener for me was rebuilding an early 964 engine. No head gaskets!
infraredcalvin
PO - lost screw

Click to view attachment

ME - lost valve

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 25 2021, 03:41 AM) *
Just thinking, should we have a thread just for this?
there is one already LINK
barefoot
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 25 2021, 09:53 AM) *

PO

ME - lost valve

Click to view attachment

I just missed something like this. Taking apart my 2L heads, gave he valves a quick rap with a mallet just to make sure they were not frozen before compressing valve springs.
One exhaust valve stem popped right out as the head had fallen off.
never re-use 50 yr old sodium filled exhaust valves.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 25 2021, 06:53 AM) *

Oh my word, did it take out the top of the piston sending a big piece into the crankshaft, after the impact the piece exiting the case by creating a new viewing portal. It can you know. sad.gif
john77
I'm mid GT-ish conversion and stripped my entire car to see what was going on under the paint. It turned out bondo was going on under the paint... a metric sh*t ton of bondo to be precise.

The driver's door was the highlight. They drilled holes to pull the damage, and then just bondo'd straight over the holes. The fact it lasted for 30 years without the slightest crack is, I guess, testament to their repair skills...

IPB Image

IPB Image
That's my pinky for scale.

IPB Image
The aftermath, covered in fresh epoxy until I have time to fit the new fiberglass skins.
roblav1
Wish I had taken pictures back in 1985... a late '66 911, broke an exhaust valve and holed the piston going over Delaware Mem Bridge. Turned around and drove the car all the way back near Springfield, MA. The oil filter did its job, no damage to anything else after taking it apart later.
Also, I probably have pictures of my 964 that caught fire and almost took my house with it. Or the 912 that had a carb fire, or the 914 that caught fire at those lovely plastic fuel lines.
930cabman
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jun 25 2021, 04:59 PM) *

Wish I had taken pictures back in 1985... a late '66 911, broke an exhaust valve and holed the piston going over Delaware Mem Bridge. Turned around and drove the car all the way back near Springfield, MA. The oil filter did its job, no damage to anything else after taking it apart later.
Also, I probably have pictures of my 964 that caught fire and almost took my house with it. Or the 912 that had a carb fire, or the 914 that caught fire at those lovely plastic fuel lines.

And you live to tell about it!!
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 25 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Oh my word, did it take out the top of the piston sending a big piece into the crankshaft, after the impact the piece exiting the case by creating a new viewing portal. It can you know. sad.gif

Ohhh yeah, that’s why it’s apart!
Montreal914
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 25 2021, 03:41 AM) *

Many of us have seen all different screwups caused by prior owners and some of them by ourselves. Just thinking, should we have a thread just for this?

Click to view attachment

What's up with the spark plugs? confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 25 2021, 09:56 AM) *

I'm mid GT-ish conversion and stripped my entire car to see what was going on under the paint. It turned out bondo was going on under the paint... a metric sh*t ton of bondo to be precise.

The driver's door was the highlight. They drilled holes to pull the damage, and then just bondo'd straight over the holes. The fact it lasted for 30 years without the slightest crack is, I guess, testament to their repair skills...

IPB Image

IPB Image
That's my pinky for scale.

IPB Image
The aftermath, covered in fresh epoxy until I have time to fit the new fiberglass skins.

My 356 was like that, they gas welded it, warped every panel, pounded it with hammers, and mudded it up.
Thousands of dollars later, it now has very little filler.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 25 2021, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 25 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Ohhh yeah, that’s why it’s apart!

Must have been running beautifully before the teardown.....please notice the other
combustion chamber.......and the abundance of leakage
mlindner
Well, wish I could blame this on the previous owner but thats me (40 years with this car). After five years of restoration, body, suspension, engine and interior and just started the shake-down with a slow drive....forgot to put the hood pins in! Back to the body shop. Now done and ready to come home. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
930cabman
Most of us are still mere mortals, some more than others
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 26 2021, 05:30 AM) *

Well, wish I could blame this on the previous owner but thats me (40 years with this car). After five years of restoration, body, suspension, engine and interior and just started the shake-down with a slow drive....forgot to put the hood pins in! Back to the body shop. Now done and ready to come home. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

Ouch..... hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.