Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations 914-6 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinP
Need to start looking for a muffler for my 2.7 conv. Whats being used? I have no problem with fabing the valence for dual exhaust. Thoughts on performance, noise, ect.
mepstein
Ben's/MB911/914-6Werkshop muffler on sale -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler
Optimusglen
I'm loving the muffler I got from Ben @mb911 (https://914-6werkshop.com/)

I had one of his dual outlet mufflers on my 4 when I had it and it sounded amazing. I have a different one of his for my 6, but that isn't running yet so I can't comment.
Steve
I was running Ben's quiet muffler, but it was too quiet. I switched to the M&K dual in and dual out muffler. Much louder and obnoxious, but puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car. Curious on the sound difference between the sport muffler and the M&K dual out?
I also tried the Triad muffler, but the drone was horrible. The M&K muffler has no high pitch drone, just a low hum/rumble sound in the normal drone range (around 2-3k rpm's).
https://mkexhaust.com/dual-inlet-dual-outlet/
https://youtu.be/X6NgcZ-nQds
My car with stock DME injection sounds exactly like the above video.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the dansk factory duplicate, or if you want noise and performance the dansk GT style dual pipe

QUOTE(KevinP @ Jul 2 2021, 07:23 AM) *

Need to start looking for a muffler for my 2.7 conv. Whats being used? I have no problem with fabing the valence for dual exhaust. Thoughts on performance, noise, ect.

john77
I second this. I just fitted a Dansk sport muffler to my 2.7RS spec. Not too loud, not too quiet.

Dansk Sport Muffler, 50mm, 911 (2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7) (65-77)
Part #: 92.510DUAL

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 2 2021, 08:59 AM) *

the dansk factory duplicate, or if you want noise and performance the dansk GT style dual pipe

QUOTE(KevinP @ Jul 2 2021, 07:23 AM) *

gereed75
Getting a two out exhaust with no drone is quite the trick. Congrats to M&K. That in itself is a good basis to recommend them.

How about the Dansk two out sport? Drone?
Coondog
Just be done with it and buy Ben's muffler. Quality 1st.
mlindner
Yup, Ben's sport muffler, will make sound video tomorrow. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 2 2021, 12:29 PM) *

M&K is or was Ben’s company. I think he sold it to Rarly8 Motorsports. Curious if Ben makes the mufflers for them. Same style and quality as the quiet muffler I bought from Ben.
mepstein
I don’t believe I will have any of Ben’s sport mufflers available for a while, other than the one I have for sale on post #2. That one is $100 off because it has a couple miles on it. We do have quiet muffles available for $850 shipped with mounting hardware and gaskets. They are made to order.
mlindner
Just look at Ben's work, both header and muffler.Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 2 2021, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 2 2021, 12:29 PM) *

M&K is or was Ben’s company. I think he sold it to Rarly8 Motorsports. Curious if Ben makes the mufflers for them. Same style and quality as the quiet muffler I bought from Ben.

Ben started M&K and sold it off about 8 years ago. He doesn’t make their mufflers but does know more about mufflers and welding than most in the business. He developed all the 914-6werkshop products.
914Toy
I run Ben's muffler on my 2.7 with Webers carbs. Performance is excellent.

Click to view attachment
Van914
Ben’s products are great. Very high quality. Why would you buy anything else?
mb911
Thanks for all the kind words. I don't currently supply m&k anything but looks like I will be shortly. And yes I did start that company. The dual out may be fine on Steve's car but that is an anomaly as the dual out m&k drones much like the cheaper loud muffler Mark referenced.

My quiet versions now are not as quiet as the original but a perfect blend of sound/performance/ loudness. Recent tests show 84dbs wot

campbellcj
FWIW I have an early M&K "R" (wide-spaced 2-out) and I don't find that it drones per se but it is really too loud to be reasonable for a street car and doesn't sound quite like a typical six. It does sound and look really good though and my car runs well with it. One pipe can be capped-off to quiet it some.

I tried a Triad briefly and just did not like the sound or looks on my car nor was my engine happy with it. It makes peak power at 7500 and really needs to breathe.

What's on there now is a stainless Dansk 2-in/1-out sport muffler, which sounds fantastic with a classic 911 sound but throatier, and the car runs well. Not easy to find or cheap though. I lucked out and found one around 1/2 normal retail.

Lately I got another Dansk which is a stainless R/RSR type (wide 2-out) which I think has the same/similar main sausage as my 1-out. I haven't tried it yet but it looks killer and I'm hoping is not too brutally loud. I will definitely report back and get a video when that's on that car.
campbellcj
The ceramic coated megaphones are of course my fave -

IPB ImageMufflers for 914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
mb911
So just to expand a bit here. If you have. Single out regardless of brand you will get almost zero drone. The 911 R muffler mentioned was all about a look almost no consideration initially to sound levels. Brian the new owner of m&k has very little technical understanding of the internal baffling. I have consulted with him over the years.

My current baffling on my mufflers are very similar to the original factory muffler porsche provided. Dansk mufflers have a chamber with some fiberglass packing in there design.

So if you choose a single out muffler regardless of brand you will get a nice porsche sound it will then all be about tone, cost, construction, availability.
gereed75
“Single out regardless of brand you will get almost zero drone.”

I think what I am hearing is the converse is also true - “every two out has drone”.

That has been my experience in playing around (amateurishly) trying to build a drone free two out. I have tried what I thought were some clever internal baffling schemes to no avail.

The water cooled sixes seem to use a lot of two outs without drone. One would think that the acoustic harmonics are similar.

But if Ben says that it can’t be done that would be enough to convince me.

I have been thinking a removable plug in one of the outlets is the way to go - out for a social drive and want relative quiet, - insert the plug. Out to a car cruise and want unfettered wail - pull the plug and tolerate the drone.

Care to confirm or deny Ben so that I can give up on the quest for a drone free two out ?
mepstein
Here’s a Rally muffler that Ben built for me and offers in limited production. It’s based on a 914-6Werkshop quiet muffler with the additional 2 out for when I’m feeling rowdy.
mb911
My quiet 2 outs have no drone but that took years and years of trial and error. Capping one outlet will for sure kill the drone.
KevinP
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'll see what is available. I do like the dual set up and its going to be a weekend driver only, so we'll see how this plays out.
gereed75
Thanks for confirming that Ben. I think I’ll do a removable cap and keep my Gt3 style two out since I really like how it looks.
Justinp71
Knight racing talked me into doing a magnaflow like in the link below for max power. It sounds great but drone is pretty bad from 2-3k rpms. I like the sound so much I've left it on for the last 6 years.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...fore-after.html

sound clip of mine just holding an iphone in the cabin- https://youtu.be/X279KTSExs4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.