Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let’s try this again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I still have an oil leak at the oil filler. (Tuna can). Oil rests on top of the lip at the mid point of the can.
I also have a rubber 19mm line rated at 350psi at the vacuum opening.
I did change the stock oil filler to a 1975 oil filler and air cleaner due to no venting on my new heads.
If I could get some insight regarding this I may be able solve this one.

Timing is set at 27btdc at 3500 rpm. Even when first starting car it only idles around 1200 and once warms the idle falls and does a low hunt and then dies.

It has the original CHT and it works (1973 2.0)

A couple pics to maybe add some perspective and insight.

Many thanks.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TX914
@Wew , Certain you have it timed correctly? Red mark on impeller is TDC.
Hard to tell from photo, but unless your dizzy drive gear is off a tooth, vacuum cannister seems too close to flap cross bar.
Shivers
You mentioned new heads with no crank case breathers. So all that pressure is now coming out of the CCB at the filler. I do not see any sealer on the cork gasket or a hose clamp. Did you replace the gasket in the cap. Hard to see the leaks location with such clean oil.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wew @ Jul 6 2021, 09:09 AM) *
I still have an oil leak at the oil filler. (Tuna can). Oil rests on top of the lip at the mid point of the can.

Just fyi, the oil filler is *not* the same as a "tuna can".

The tuna can is an aftermarket "sump" that mounts to the bottom of the engine.
shades.gif

Wew
Thank you Sir. pray.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2021, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Wew @ Jul 6 2021, 09:09 AM) *

Just fyi, the oil filler is *not* the same as a "tuna can".

The tuna can is an aftermarket "sump" that mounts to the bottom of the engine.
shades.gif
Wew
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 6 2021, 10:20 AM) *

You mentioned new heads with no crank case breathers. So all that pressure is now coming out of the CCB at the filler. I do not see any sealer on the cork gasket or a hose clamp. Did you replace the gasket in the cap. Hard to see the leaks location with such clean oil.

Thanks shivers. The clamp is up the line at the time of the photo. I did not put sealer on the cork gasket. I installed it dry. I did not replace the gasket in the cap. Sounds like a new cap gasket is in order.

I am wondering what others have done to remedy leaking at the line?
Wew
QUOTE(TX914 @ Jul 6 2021, 09:42 AM) *

@Wew , Certain you have it timed correctly? Red mark on impeller is TDC.
Hard to tell from photo, but unless your dizzy drive gear is off a tooth, vacuum cannister seems too close to flap cross bar.

Hi Tx. Yes it seems to run a little better when I turn it counter clockwise from the position in the photo. I will recheck my timing.
Thx
brant
I bought a replacement base gasket for the tower from 914 rubber.
it was slightly thicker than the dealer part
I also sprung the clamp wire a bit tighter...
the 2 together stopped my leak from the oil tower

the increased venting... you are experiencing my add additional pressure to that gasket interface...

I actually changed out my tower at the same time to a late style tower with the larger port for the PVC. I don't use a PVC, but do think the extra breathing space might help alleviate some of the internal pressure.
Wew
I am looking through some images online and I did not replace the gasket that fits at the bottom of the funnel and into the sardine can. ( sorry sir )
I will search for those seals as well.
Makes sense since it is under so much more pressure that it leak out with old seals.

Thanks again.
Wew
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 6 2021, 01:24 PM) *

I bought a replacement base gasket for the tower from 914 rubber.
it was slightly thicker than the dealer part
I also sprung the clamp wire a bit tighter...
the 2 together stopped my leak from the oil tower

the increased venting... you are experiencing my add additional pressure to that gasket interface...

I actually changed out my tower at the same time to a late style tower with the larger port for the PVC. I don't use a PVC, but do think the extra breathing space might help alleviate some of the internal pressure.

Thanks Brant. Great idea to tighten the base tower clamp. I also changed out the tower with the bigger opening to help with venting.
I need to run down one of those base Oring type gaskets between the the oil filler tower and the base it screws into.
beer.gif
euro911
You can also apply some wheel bearing grease to both sides of that cork gasket. Oil doesn't mix with grease, so that helps to keep seepage at bay.

I also smear grease on my rocker arm covers' cork gaskets. 914 Rubber sells thicker gaskets for those as well, the combination of the thicker gaskets and grease work great idea.gif
Jett
@Wew

Just an FYI, I just bought the top air cleaner hose and believe it is cloth and rubber… here is the part.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-part...tm_campaign=map
Wew
Thank you Jett!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.