Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color blind
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Front yard mechanic
This wire was plugged into one of the four terminals on the board not sure where or what it does it looks yellow or light green?Click to view attachment
falcor75
Yellow
ClayPerrine
It is yellow, and goes into either of the rear two spade connectors on the left rear side of the relay board.

It tells the double relay on the L-Jet that the starter is engaged so it can turn the fuel pump on.

And just a tip.. you can put a spade connector on either of those connections and feed it 12v to make the engine crank. That helps if the ignition switch fails on a trip.

mate914
The red one has an issue, cut or sliced maybe flag.gif .
Matt
Front yard mechanic
Thanks I was unsure . The front spades test positive and I didn't want to fry something. Do I even need to use this if I'm running carbs?
burlybryan
No. It's not plugged into anything on my carbed engine.

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 8 2021, 08:21 AM) *

Thanks I was unsure . The front spades test positive and I didn't want to fry something. Do I even need to use this if I'm running carbs?

Ansbacher
Agreed- I have carbs too and nothing goes to those spades.

So, Clay: Are you saying I could run a wire from one of those spades to the battery, interrupting it with a momentary switch, and I would have an emergency ignition cranking switch in the engine bay? If true, how cool is that.

Ansbacher
Front yard mechanic
thanks for the help im inspired now and searched for a better solution to wire my fuel pump and found a great "how to wire for carbs" smilie_pokal.gif Andy & Perry
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 8 2021, 11:18 AM) *

So, Clay: Are you saying I could run a wire from one of those spades to the battery, interrupting it with a momentary switch, and I would have an emergency ignition cranking switch in the engine bay? If true, how cool is that.

Ansbacher

That is 100% true. I have a spade connector on a short piece of wire that I use when hooking a remote starter button to Betty's car. It is far easier than crawling underneath.

Clay
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 8 2021, 02:40 PM) *

Ansbacher

That is 100% true. I have a spade connector on a short piece of wire that I use when hooking a remote starter button to Betty's car. It is far easier than crawling underneath.

Clay

@ClayPerrine Could you post a sketch schematic, wire gauge and type of switch? I’d really like to do this “hack” but don’t want to fry something. Also, hoping Betty’s car is coming along well; if you need a replacement 1.8 engine tuneup sticker (see Originality Forum) let me know and I’ll mail you one. Thanks for all you do on the Forum.
mate914
I am also interested in this. Having a Double spine fusion issue, this would be very use full.
Matt flag.gif

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 9 2021, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 8 2021, 02:40 PM) *

Ansbacher

Clay

@ClayPerrine Could you post a sketch schematic, wire gauge and type of switch? I’d really like to do this “hack” but don’t want to fry something. Also, hoping Betty’s car is coming along well; if you need a replacement 1.8 engine tuneup sticker (see Originality Forum) let me know and I’ll mail you one. Thanks for all you do on the Forum.

ClayPerrine
I just use a short piece of wire, an a spade connector. I use my blue-point remote starter button I have owned for years as the switch. It just has alligator clips on the end of the wires.

The switch kinda looks like this....

Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 9 2021, 01:16 PM) *

I just use a short piece of wire, an a spade connector. I use my blue-point remote starter button I have owned for years as the switch. It just has alligator clips on the end of the wires.

Click to view attachment

@ClayPerrine . So this switch connects the positive terminal to the wire with the spade connector? Any particular gauge wire (8)? Just checking so as not to fry things.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 9 2021, 03:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@ClayPerrine . So this switch connects the positive terminal to the wire with the spade connector? Any particular gauge wire (8)? Just checking so as not to fry things.

One alligator clip goes to the positive battery post. The other connects to a piece of wire with a spade connector, and the spade connector is plugged into the relay board on one of the rear two connectors of the 4 pin connector on the left rear.

I just matched the wire size with the yellow wire that attaches to the spade connector on the starter.

Clay
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 10 2021, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 9 2021, 03:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

One alligator clip goes to the positive battery post. The other connects to a piece of wire with a spade connector, and the spade connector is plugged into the relay board on one of the rear two connectors of the 4 pin connector on the left rear.

I just matched the wire size with the yellow wire that attaches to the spade connector on the starter.

Clay

Thanks! Off to my FLAPS...
rgalla9146

Great idea Clay
Some vintage English cars had a built in under-hood starter button.
Can be very handy for tune-up and maintenance work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.