Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back up light switch on tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burlybryan
I have no reverse/backup lights. Jumpering the wires on the tranny mounted switch gets them to come on, so I figure the wiring is ok and the switch is flaky. I have no knowledge about the internals of our trannys, so before I replace it I wanted to verify if the switch is immersed in fluid or dry. If wet, I'd just plan a gear oil change as part of the process.

Thanks for any insight.

Bryan
76-914
Unscrew it. There is a 6mm pin that wears down. Probably the culprit. You can fab another one from th shank of a 6mm bolt or get in touch with @bdstone914 on this site for another unit. beerchug.gif
Shivers
it sits right around the same height as the filler plug on the other side. Put a pan under it, have everything clean, screw out old part then screw in new part. Then if you did lose a bit add it in the filler plug if the amount makes you uncomfortable.
bdstone914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2021, 07:11 AM) *

Unscrew it. There is a 6mm pin that wears down. Probably the culprit. You can fab another one from th shank of a 6mm bolt or get in touch with @bdstone914 on this site for another unit. beerchug.gif

@burlybryan
@76-914
It is smaller than 6mm. I think it is 3 or 4mm. Just buy a new one for $20 from Porsche or Pelican. Thanks for the referral but i dont think i have any and not worth reusing.
Part number 90530324502
914Sixer
URO makes a replacement part. About $4 Cheap insurance. Screenshot from Rockauto, click to open
burlybryan
Thanks guys! Perfect information. Makes sense that it's about level with the fill plug.

I have a new switch and tang/rod already, so I should be good to go.

Bryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.