Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another nice looking six on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Nice numbers matching unmolested yellow six on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-50/

In the wake of this It will be interesting to see what happens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-2-0-22/

Jett
I like the 75, and the other needs some TLC but good start.
rhodyguy
The bid on the 6 still has a long way to go. The frenzy should start in the last couple hours.
mb911
The prices are just crazy. I still feel my -6 conversion is worth mid 20s because it was built by me in my garage on a rusted out chassis that had been hit. It's nice but can't imagine getting some of these checks/money for it.. wow
930cabman
Matching numbers, clean cars hold on to your drawers boys/girls
914e
I don't get the final price on the 75. It clean on top and the interior, but for that price I would expect it to be close to perfect top bottom inside and out. Am I missing something special about that car?
john77
Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what I'm missing here too. Fair play to the seller, but given it's had a respray, an engine rebuild, and a handful of small non-stock mods what makes it a $60K car?

My friend has a completely bone stock, all original 75 with only 20K miles on it, so is that now a 6 figure car...

QUOTE(914e @ Jul 12 2021, 01:18 PM) *

I don't get the final price on the 75. It clean on top and the interior, but for that price I would expect it to be close to perfect top bottom inside and out. Am I missing something special about that car?

burlybryan
The 75 had some irrational exuberance going on. A healthy chorus of cheerleaders and some pretty seats. It appeared very clean in the areas that matter and the color is desired. The engine was a '73 2.0, so a better engine, but not original.
StarBear
agree.gif My self-assessed value of my original owner 74 1.8L, nearly all original, well preserved Zambezi Green with all documentation and COA REALLY shot up! My underside looks way better than that one (notice the rusted heat diverter boxes and exhaust piping on that one?) Or my value will get shot up when/if I sell.... beer.gif
drem914
QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 12 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what I'm missing here too. Fair play to the seller, but given it's had a respray, an engine rebuild, and a handful of small non-stock mods what makes it a $60K car?

My friend has a completely bone stock, all original 75 with only 20K miles on it, so is that now a 6 figure car...

What I want to know is how do not drive these cars? 20K in 46 years?

Based on the 75 on BAT, I have to go back to Haggerty and up my valuation on my '75, again.
bbrock
I think the missing factor is Hagerty. I don't know what algorithm they use for car valuation but it is hyper sensitive to the few rare unicorns that have sold for crazy prices.
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools...uto/Porsche/914

I've noticed every time one of these low mileage time capsules sold for top dollar, the Hagerty valuations jacked up.

Then they take those fantasy values and publish articles like this:
https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-magaz...ll-market-list/

It wasn't real, but now people can google 914 values and they quickly find that valuation which becomes the new "Blue Book value." Then it becomes real because everybody thinks if Hagerty says their car is worth $50K, then it must be. that influences both buyer and seller behavior and soon, people are paying those fantasy prices for real.

drem914
FYI the same dealer, European Collectibles in Costa Mesa, CA has 2 other 914-6's going for $78,500 (silver - 16kMi) and $93,500 (signal orange-47K mi.)
Superhawk996
QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 12 2021, 06:31 PM) *

agree.gif

I don’t believe 99% of those claimed low mileage cars. Unless fully documented and condition of other parts bears it out. Most claimed low mileage cars are erroneous. Either rolled the ODO, swapped the ODO, or it was disconnected for significant amounts of time.

Show me a ODO with the paint seal still in place and documentation from day one and we can talk.

Far too many sub 50k mile cars floating around for the math to work in my estimation.

The other problem is that the value in low mile cars lies in the low miles. Each mile it drives after sale = huge depreciation. No thanks. I often drive 300 mile days even if just joy riding.
Shivers
Didn't they screw the muffler heat shield on, rather than welded like the 4 cylinders. Maybe it is these old eyes, but I could not spot those screws. I believe they were under seam sealer.
914Sixer
Ben is so right. His home build is worth more than overpriced -6's. Nothing better than the best of the available parts.
Big Len
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 12 2021, 04:18 PM) *

I don't see the justification either.
wonkipop
QUOTE(drem914 @ Jul 12 2021, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 12 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Based on the 75 on BAT, I have to go back to Haggerty and up my valuation on my '75, again.

its easy, get a divorce, have your business partner screw you and everyone go after everything, but somehow keep the car and stash it away,......it happens.
0 miles in 16 years. i think i did 10k in 12 years before that. 2 of those years it was off the road getting converted to rhd. before that the previous owner had died and her husband had the car stashed for a good 6 years not bearing to part with it. it had done 35k in 10 years to that point from new. the cars do exist. not so many now, but you used to find them a lot more readily back in late 80s. my mechanic was of two minds when he started recommissioning mine 2 years ago as to what i said the mileage was.
until he started pulling things like the trans and finding factory build past ons, date stamps still on struts and idiotic rubber core clutches not seen for years.. there is a guy on here just found a white 63,000 miler. some people drove these things for a while early on and then just put them away. liked them too much to sell them and they were not worth enough to sell. just keep it instead in the garage.

i'm driving it now though. making up time. f6ck the depreciation.

i get the price on the green one.
it would probably cost you that much to build one up if you could not do the labor yourself or a good part of the labor. throw in a 10K buffer just to make sure you got it.
auctions can do that if the market is running a bit hot.
i think the cars have now moved into that kind of market.
soft hands, fat wallets?

+ post first phase covid insanity factor?
its happening down here with houses.
and certain cars. mainly 1970s aus muscle cars.
i thought they had peaked. think again.

gereed75
Well that last yellow six did not meet reserve for $85,000 I thought that was a fair number for that car

Now there is another one, I think nicer detail and it appears to have generated a bit more excitement with a really well done driving video

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-14/

The details matter. Looks to be heading closer to $100k.
FlacaProductions
Details do matter - which is why it always confuses me when the little/easy things aren't done for the pictures.

On the latest yellow one - pictures 130, 139, 146, 150 - glue the dash vinyl down. It would take you 10 minutes to touch that up.
Pic 157 - no fuse cover - pics 201 and 208 - no door jam vents.

I'm sure there are others but I just don't get doing these little, easy things before you present it on a venue like BaT.
Cairo94507
That's a very nice looking yellow '70 914-6. Done to a very high level; should sell well. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
9140431683 Is in the VIN database
MCShack
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 12 2021, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(burlybryan @ Jul 12 2021, 05:02 PM) *

The 75 had some irrational exuberance going on. A healthy chorus of cheerleaders and some pretty seats. It appeared very clean in the areas that matter and the color is desired. The engine was a '73 2.0, so a better engine, but not original.

The seller is a dealer who sells other Porsche cars but this was his first 914. He did not know the history of this '75 914 at all, but I did having tried to buy it for $22k 3 years ago from Brad Mayeur of 914LTD in Peoria, IL who had just done the rebuild on it. The car was completely disassembled to do the "high quality" repaint, not just an overspray. 914ltd did not do the green tartan seats, those were brand new and did make the car pop in the pics. The '75 was originally a 1.8L before it was upgraded to a 2.0L, then 914LTD put in the Euro Mahle pistons and a bunch of other work which was listed in the auction, but not until after I gave that info to the seller. It only had a $25k reserve and I told the seller I thought it would go higher with the new information, thinking over $30k maybe, boy was I wrong, in a good way for the seller. There had not been a decent 914/4 on BaT or P-Car for a while and still hasn't been a decent one on P-Car for a while. It was just the right car at the right time and a couple of bidders really ran the price up to a stupid high number IMO. The information was there in the auction description to figure out it was originally a 1.8L if one looks at the pics or reads the comments.

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 19 2021, 11:05 AM) *

9140431683 Is in the VIN database

I put it in the VIN database when I saw it was not in there. The info came from the auction description and pictures. I thought that car should have sold for less than the high bid due to some questions that needed sorting out, but what do I know? Prices seem to be unstable and climbing too fast for my liking. How long will this continue is anyone's guess, but it will end or taper off at some point, and I believe this will happen before next spring.

Oh well, Peace and stay safe out there everybody!
raynekat
The latest yellow one is showing yellow paint beneath the engine grills....that should all be black. How does a car like this miss a beg detail like that? When I see something like this, I always wonder what has been missed?
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 19 2021, 05:19 PM) *

The latest yellow one is showing yellow paint beneath the engine grills....that should all be black. How does a car like this miss a beg detail like that? When I see something like this, I always wonder what has been missed?

That smacked me right in the face for an otherwise pretty gorgeous car. Also, I believe the headlight shrouds should be white, not black unless sixes were special in that regard.
SKL1
They fixed the listing. Originally had it as 1971 which several of us pointed out was wrong considering the VIN. The COA was wrong too, surprise surprise.
Cairo94507
Nope. Brent you are correct. The headlight surrounds should be white. But let's face it, that car is pretty sweet and the couple things we can see are very minor. That's a peach of a car. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 19 2021, 07:35 AM) *

Details do matter - which is why it always confuses me when the little/easy things aren't done for the pictures.

On the latest yellow one - pictures 130, 139, 146, 150 - glue the dash vinyl down. It would take you 10 minutes to touch that up.
Pic 157 - no fuse cover - pics 201 and 208 - no door jam vents.

I'm sure there are others but I just don't get doing these little, easy things before you present it on a venue like BaT.

Agreed, I noticed the same and then stopped looking. If these easy details were missed, what else was missed. I don’t want to have doubt when (if) we finally buy one of these very expensive beauties.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that car has a lot of things that need to be corrected. Look at the front of the left front fender line then look inside
Jett
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 20 2021, 11:09 AM) *

that car has a lot of things that need to be corrected. Look at the front of the left front fender line then look inside

Good eye, looking at those pics now the camera person really avoided the inner pocket.
FRUNKenstein
My ‘75 2.0 Laguna Blue just got accepted for auction on bringatrailer last week. They said it would be several weeks before its auction starts. I was planning to keep it forever, but had a beautiful ‘73 Bahia Red fall into my lap (friend of a friend thing). The only way my wife would allow me to buy it was to agree to sell the ‘75. So, it’s got to go.

I bought it last year, and I did quite a bit to it in that time, but still have several small projects to do. It’s got a few warts (TMU and inop odometer, slight fading on hood, heat exchangers replaced by headers, dual Webber’s with matching cam versus FI, non-matching numbers engine case), but overall drives and presents well. ATS wheels and some other nice plusses. Receipts back to 2008.

So, I am dreading the comments on its negatives, but want to be transparent about everything. So, please be nice when it comes up on bringatrailer!

The one coming up on bringatrailer:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The reason the blue one must go:

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Good luck with the sale. Your car looks nice and I am sure, despite the issues you identify, it will do well. The red one is drooley.gif beerchug.gif
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 21 2021, 08:46 AM) *

Good luck with the sale. Your car looks nice and I am sure, despite the issues you identify, it will do well. The red one is drooley.gif beerchug.gif

Thanks Cairo!
gereed75
sold for $102.000

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-14/

pretty healthy price for a nice car. Seems that these prices continue to slowly creep up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.