Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THe Ulimate Humiliation??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenie
So we get back from the John Walker Swap meet with by bounty, driven about 50 miles,the car running perfectly. Start it with no problem, drive to the gas station,off & on again,home etc, running great.

We decide to go to the British car show at the community college. Park it for about two hours come back it won't start.

Start checking things , fuel pump relay clicking, fuel pump running ,pressure to hose (but didn't pull a line ). Getting spark to plugs, car will run with starter fluid.

I don't feel my injectors pulsing when cranking, get my multimeter out & getting 12 volts at the 4 plug connector on the relay board. No voltage measured at the little injector connection while cranking engine WTF??

Probably two hundred British, Lucas, electric equipped cars fire up & driveoff.

I wait for the sun to go down & call AAA, my self esteem is shot!

Help please.

Greenie
skline
That is just too funny, I am sorry you had to endure that kind of humiliation, check your trigger points, that would be my first guess.
Joe Bob
This should be in the FAQ......describe "won't start"......

1) Turn key, nothing?
2) Turn key, click?
3) Turn key, click and starter turns over engine?

1) could be ignition switch, relay for seatbelt buzzer uner seat (some models), hot start problem with starter....BANG on solenoid....
2) Hot start problem, loose ground on battery or trans strap, low battery, etc...
3) fuel pump, trigger points, etc....

Feel free to add.....suggest admin put in FAQ......

Bruce Allert
I'm on my 4th tow cool.gif

Check the wire to the AAR. If it''s grounded it will cause problems. Also the CHT might be unplugged. Won't even start if it's that.

good luck

........b
brp914
injector trigger? to test: pull connector from distrib. put ohm meter btwn ctr and outter terminals. turn engine and look for open and close circuit.
neo914-6
waiting for the sun to go down was good but did they hear you crank it and make strained faces? laugh.gif

I did that once at Laguna Seca but it was because I fell asleep drunk and loaded and then lost my keys. screwy.gif
greenie
A big thanks!

Popped the distributor cap off, the contacts looked a little carboned, so I used a little fine sand paper to clean & what daya know.. she fired right up.

I guess it's time for new cap plugs & points.

I'm not the greatest mechanic so I really don't fully understand the relationship of what I did to " no voltage to the injectors.

Greenie
SGB
I think what he meant was "too high, too low, or incorrect 'spleen'-retriculation" That shouldn't be left uncorrected. It can lead to hardening of the arteries and its associated condition of erectile disfunctiion. I really have probably said too much already.
redshift
huh.gif
Seagrave
I know how you feel. I've had to be towed twice in the last 18 months. Both times for fuel pump relays. The first time was at my house (shown here) and they replaced a relay. The second time (two weeks ago) was at work. Replaced another relay and some fuses but they think the problem (which is intermittent) may be a short in the board itself. Problem is finding another. They're looking. Thank goodness for Hagerty. Sign me, a former British car owner (many years ago) who never had any electrical problems...but enough from every other component. The 914 has been a very reliable car overall, especially considering its age.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (greenie @ Jul 24 2005, 03:58 PM)
A big thanks!

Popped the distributor cap off, the contacts looked a little carboned, so I used a little fine sand paper to clean & what daya know.. she fired right up.

I guess it's time for new cap plugs & points.

I'm not the greatest mechanic so I really don't fully understand the relationship of what I did to " no voltage to the injectors.

Greenie

get a compufire or pertronix... damn points are a bitch!
rhodyguy
sp wires too if you've never replaced them.

k

greenie
So I thought it was fixed but........ drove to the store Sunday morning running great! Come out it won't start again
"fuck a duck"! I refuse to call AAA again within a 12 hr period. Call my wife to bring the SUV & tow rope, drag it home.

Monday I order up new points,cap ,rotor cond. plug wires & the mystery trigger points from Pelican. You guys talk about these trigger points but I could never figure out where or what they are. I now know.
balljoint
While my car is still up on jackstands "cough, cough", and I am on a road trip with my wife in my truck, I often point out to her where on the trip the 914 would break down and I would have to call CAA, and how long we would have to wait, and how we will wish we had brought some snacks and some pop (soda). I am trying to get her ready for the inevitable. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif unsure.gif dry.gif

Hopefully your tune-up will solve all of your problems. smile.gif
greenie
So we pull the destributor put in all the new stuff (including coil), set the dwell /timing perfect last night.

WE had to start it the 1st time with starter fluid ..

It has never ran better.... for the 1st time I have to open up my idle screw to keep it running. Normally it's cranked all the way down & it still would idle @ 1200. The little bit of "popping is gone"

Note to newbies "it take about 3 seconds to melt the green condensor wire when hooked up wrong "

We start & stop the engine a least 10 times LIFE is GOOD!

This morning before work I hop in just to hear it one more time. "NO START AGAIN"

I guess I start looking a fuel pressure now huh?? I know it will start with Fluid, once it gets going it runs like a champ.
[
greenie
My wife refuses to get in the car with me. I tell her it just needs a few bugs worked out but she is a little leery.

She still hasn't quite got over the gas leak episode.
jhadler
Check to make sure the CHT is plugged in and that the connection is sound. A loose CHT connection can easilly give you fits. I know it did to me....

-Josh2
lapuwali
It it starts with starter fluid, then always keeps running, then I'd guess it's part of the cold start system.

There's a connection on the relay board that "tells" the ECU that you're cranking. There's ANOTHER connection on the relay board that activates the thermo-time switch, which runs the cold-start injector. Note that "cold" in this context means "below 90dF engine temp". I'd guess your cold start injector isn't firing, so you're mixture at start time is way too lean. If the connection at the relay board is bad, then the ECU also won't see the "cranking " signal, which also richens up the mixture. You need a pretty rich mixture to get most air-cooled engines to light when cold. When "half-cold", like after sitting for an hour or so, starting is usually the most difficult.

If, after starting and running for awhile, if you shut off and start it again right away, does it fire OK?

In any case, look at my blog and/or the Haynes manual, and trace the relay board connections, esp at the 4-pin connector (relay board to ECU) and the 12-pin connector (relay board to engine). Clean all of these connections with alcohol and/or sandpaper. Intermittent connections here can cause all kinds of flakiness.
balljoint
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 28 2005, 02:23 PM)
Clean all of these connections with alcohol and/or sandpaper.

To clarify. Use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean (or 180 proof Rum) OR use fine grit sandpaper OR have a beer AND clean with sandpaper.

Do not try to clean anything with beer. Unless you get mustard on your shirt at the ballpark. wink.gif
greenie
Good advice Mr Asshole ( or is it Mr Lupiwali ?) & Mr Ball Joint I'll give it a go tonight.

I'll also check the CHT Mr Jhadler.

This is starting to get a little annoying.

Greenie
DNHunt
I've had 2 breakdowns lately. One I needed a tow. The wife actually took a ride last night, usually she asks if it will make it. The stars and planets must be in the right alignment. All drives are now known as test drives. The last time my son and I took off she packed a cooler with survival stuff.

The truth is the more I work on it the more often it breaks down. On the plus side I can fix most everything and I can do it faster than before.

Dave
smooth_eddy
My wife refuses to get in the car with me. I tell her it just needs a few bugs worked out but she is a little leery.

She still hasn't quite got over the gas leak episode.

agree.gif Yep, been there myself. Dumped about 1/2 tank down my driveway and even got a visit from the local fire dept. My car has been on top of a tow truck 3 times in 12 mos. Things are finally looking up now.

Greenie.... your car sure looked great with the new paint. Nice meetin you last Sat. Take care, Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.