Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California aftermarket--1976
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
It was 1976, I was just about wrapped up with a 2 year course in graphic arts and in my spare time, had already modified my 914 and a couple of other 2.0 type 4s with forced induction. An article was published in the old Argus Publishing/ "VW Greats" magazine with my '74 going down the original Irwindale 1/4 mile (today the Budwiser plant) running against editor Jay Amestoy in the 930 press car. About 2 months after the article hit, orders for my turbo kits started showing up in the mail, only one problem; these could only be sold in the 49 states...not legal in Cali !
So I penned up this little caricature of my "Feels" on the topic of Cali's tough DMV laws biggrin.gif
Inclusive of a smokey cigar chompin' politician, earthquakes , and a special shark !
Click to view attachment
Shivers
It was Miller beer, did bud buy them out? I was two off ramps down, went tuesday for speedway, wednesday was grudge night, thursday was bracket racing. The weekend was loud. I lived at the top of glendora, and we could still hear them on the weekend.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 12 2021, 11:03 PM) *

It was Miller beer, did bud buy them out? I was two off ramps down, went tuesday for speedway, wednesday was grudge night, thursday was bracket racing. The weekend was loud. I lived at the top of glendora, and we could still hear them on the weekend.

Today's relocated "Irwidale strip" is an 1/8th mile...I've never been on a strip where at 2-gears (most cars) and you're at the lights ! idea.gif
Miller, Miller-Coors, Molson-Coors, and today might be Pabst as the current 225 acre brewery owner.
There once was a hamburger shack at the old 1/4 mile track, run by Esther + Harry Snyder. They were partners in the property ownership...and had another business to run "In-N-Out" jsharp.gif
Porschef
Roads, weather, and In-n-Out be the things I miss most about Cali
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 13 2021, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 12 2021, 11:03 PM) *

Today's relocated "Irwidale strip" is an 1/8th mile...I've never been on a strip where at 2-gears (most cars) and you're at the lights ! idea.gif
Miller, Miller-Coors, Molson-Coors, and today might be Pabst as the current 225 acre brewery owner.
There once was a hamburger shack at the old 1/4 mile track, run by Esther + Harry Snyder. They were partners in the property ownership...and had another business to run "In-N-Out" jsharp.gif

It was like Disneyland to a young gearhead. I did not know they were the In-n-out family. I've never been to the new track. By the time the track moved, I had discovered the joys of right and left turns and had moved my activities into the canyons. I do miss those days. @Maltese Falcon
Maltese Falcon
If you're looking for a new crib @Shivers in the Glendora Hills, the Snyder's current home in Bradbury is on the market for 16.8 rolleyes.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 13 2021, 10:30 AM) *

If you're looking for a new crib @Shivers in the Glendora Hills, the Snyder's current home in Bradbury is on the market for 16.8 rolleyes.gif

Hahaha My Dad bought his house there for $67,950 and zillow says it's worth over a million. Crazy, almost as bad as parts for our cars. wink.gif @Maltese Falcon
Maltese Falcon
Top pic is the 1976 930 press-car that appeared in a 2009 Excellence article.
Lower pic is the same 930 press-car getting Christmas tree'd at Irwindale by yours truly biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
At the end of the Irwindale 1/4 mile, in the safety sand pit for this pic.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Howard's '75 2.0L ( Nevada neighbor) with his new boosty friend ready for the return trip home on the 15. Note the coating of cosmoline all over the undercar + 901 gearbox biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Working out of my buddys independent " Porsche Factory" in Mar Vista, Cali. Non-Osha approved juaracha sandals in use, due to the proximity to Venice Beach adjacent to Dogtown smile.gif
Click to view attachment
FL000
Very cool - you were way ahead of the times doing that in the 70’s. Thanks for sharing.
JOEPROPER
Love the shop boots... Um sandals... Must be a '70 thing.
sixnotfour
My lust for 60-70s ..CA. paid off ,,My Son is an engineer In San Diego...always love to visit,,so nice to be Home..middle of nowhere..UT.
Montreal914
Very cool! smilie_pokal.gif

Thank you for sharing some of the history beerchug.gif

davep
Marty, how did you handle the fragile first gear for the quarter mile runs?
rhodyguy
A 930 for $26k? Really?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 17 2021, 10:16 AM) *

Marty, how did you handle the fragile first gear for the quarter mile runs?

That 1 ¹/² car length lead at the Green ...actually learned to beat the red light by leaving when the last amber went out...comes with a price.
Hard launch at about 1500 rpm dump was damage to the T/O/B, a bit of clutch smell and driveable although noisy.
A couple of days later, still digging the hard launching and spirited street challenges...the box started howling. Pulled the 901 and needed to replace; Intermediate bearing, ring + pinion, and drained all of the silvery oil out. The rest of the box went into the solvent tank.
NO more drag racing for me...but the gearbox o'haul was cheap & Bozanni Porsche had the R+P on Saturday biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
It's in the blood... <3
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2021, 10:31 AM) *

A 930 for $26k? Really?

Yep...in 1976 dollars ! Most dealers marked them way UP, cause they knew they could hook the sale. Today (current market) these early 3L non intercooled / small brake Turbos are worth as much or more than the '78/ '79 USA model 3.3s
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 17 2021, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2021, 10:31 AM) *

A 930 for $26k? Really?

Yep...in 1976 dollars ! Most dealers marked them way UP, cause they knew they could hook the sale. Today (current market) these early 3L non intercooled / small brake Turbos are worth as much or more than the '78/ '79 USA model 3.3s

euro grey market,,1995 20k for a 1984.. sold 1996, 22k totaled in less than a week
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2021, 12:41 PM) *

It's in the blood... <3

Eric, either puro sangr Or in the imbibement of the juice biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.