Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Honor The 914's VW Heritage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I know this will rub the purists wrong, but I figured out a way to emblematically honor the 914's VW roots. I purchased a 914-VW-Porsche emblem in black and then carefully removed the 914 portion of the script. I did that for two reasons-
First, the original emblem is a bit of a lengthy and ungainly fit on the rear panel, and second, leaving it on would have resulted in redundant "914" scripts. This way I was able to retain the original scripts on the right side without redundancy.

As someone who has studied Porsche history in depth, and taught classes about it, I truly appreciate and understand that Porsche and VW are one in the same historically. Just because the factory chiefs decided to only badge European cars (and -6s ?) with the VW-Porsche emblem does not mean U.S. cars are not worthy of the honor (yes, I see it as praise and honor) unlike most.

Ok....flame on shades.gif

AnsbacherClick to view attachment
KELTY360
I don’t know, after all these years of being told, “it,s just a VW”, it’s kind of tough accepting that Porsche moniker. smoke.gif
Cairo94507
I like the balance. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
If I owned a Veyron...I'd throw a \v/ badge on that bad boy too; for now let's celebrate everything 914 "Sports Car Together" (as Porsche says )...and this Bad Boy, which will turn 50 in 2024
Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
In case you are wondering what I did with the 914 script I removed from the emblem. Oh well, a little redundancy never hurts I guess....

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Looks like you had a 911 rear reflector prior to this, I like this better.
Dion
That’s pretty cool. Must admit never thought or seen that format on the back by anyone.
Nice. I like the engine lid as well. beerchug.gif
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jul 22 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Looks like you had a 911 rear reflector prior to this, I like this better.

Mike, yes the car came with one on it. I thought I would like it because I had them in my 924 days, but then I grew to hate it, so off it came. Home Depot had the perfect little white plugs to fill the four screw holes.

Ansbacher
914xr75
I like it.
Mike D.
Mine biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Had a 1975 2.0 back in 2010 or so and made a "Type 47" badge for it. Never got around to putting it on though.
orthobiz
A great question. I would say by soldiering on and embracing the NARP spirit in all 914 owners. A letter to the editor this month (Sep 2021) of Sports Car Market highlights how much our cars bother owners of "legitimate" sports cars and how they deny us any Porsche heritage (abridged):

"The 914"
Notice I didn't say "Porsche" because it really isn't one. At least the 914/6 had Porsche power, but at heart, this clown car is a VW.

Goes on to say:
Save the big bucks you'll pay for a fancy exercise machine and buy a 914 instead because, unless it is fully sorted, you'll have leg muscles of iron and arms of steel. Or you can just park it on a hill.

Further:
The 914 is probably the most unreliable and least enjoyable car I have ever owned, and it is inexplicable to me how these have suddenly become collectible...Save your money and buy a REAL Porsche (emphasis mine, of course), not a poor man's imitation. Sorry 914 fans.

Reminds me of the junior high schooler who talks trash about the girl in his class but is actually secretly in love with her.

For me a major factor in my 914 ownership IS the VW heritage, the humble origins, the back(stabbing) story of the beleaguered little vehicle VW abandoned and which I have come to love so much. Subtle snubs abound, even at current day Porsche. Witness: the tire/wheel size guide Porsche published a couple of years ago (I can't seem to find it right now) listed only the 914/6 sizes. The 50th Anniversary mats only fit the early passenger side dimensions, like the 914/6. Etc., etc., and so on.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/porsche/ doesn't even list the 914 in the "discontinued model" section.

Currently I'm down to three cars, all 4 cylinders. One even has a license plate ITZ A 4. Personally, and this is just me, I've never felt a compelling need to own a 6 just to satisfy my "real" Porsche desire. I'm happy where I am, I've owned 7 total on and off since 1975.

Luckily, thanks to all of us, this mighty VW lives on as I hereby honor its heritage!

Paul
930cabman
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 22 2021, 12:48 PM) *

I don’t know, after all these years of being told, “it,s just a VW”, it’s kind of tough accepting that Porsche moniker. smoke.gif

Bumped into a former (20 years ago) neighbor the other day. After some small talk, he asked about my 356, blah, blah. I continued with "the most recent purchases are two 914 models". His comment: they are only VW's. He is old and generally a decent guy, I let him off the hook by replying they are go karts with push
Al Meredith
A friend forwarded a youtube video titled Taycan inside the factory tour. The video was made by the official PORSCHE marketing team. In the English translation the narrator pronounced the word PORSC AH and PORSCH without the AH on the end intermittently . Is the Co trying to get away from using the Family name now that they are selling so many cars World wide?
AZBanks
Where can I get a "Team Narp" sticker?
wonkipop
30 years ago i used to tell the arse dragger contingent at least my car was designed by piech. i got blank stares back. beer.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.