Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Hello World -

I'm trying to R&R the ignition switch. And, I need a little help.

I've got the ignition lock tumbler out but cannot seem to get the holder out in order to get at the ignition switch below it. Here's a look at where I'm at.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

1973 model year
Knee pad is off
Allen bolt is out

I also have a replacement steering column switch to put in and plan to rekey some lock cylinders while this is all apart.
Is there anything else that need to get done at this time?

Thank you,

Sean
914Sixer
Put the lock back in. Turn ignition on to release the column locking. Should be clear and pull the whole assembly out in one piece. Replace electrical portion before replacing switch.

Side note your switch is 75-76 because of the black plastic cap and the roller cam entry.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 24 2021, 10:01 PM) *

Put the lock back in. Turn ignition on to release the column locking. Should be clear and pull the whole assembly out in one piece. Replace electrical portion before replacing switch.

Side note your switch is 75-76 because of the black plastic cap and the roller cam entry.

Thank you, @914Sixer! Both comments very helpful.

That switch housing was stuck in there pretty good. I had to use an 0.008” feeler gage to ensure the pawl was retracted and vice grips to get a solid grip to pull with and it eventually came out. Years of gunk kept it solidly in place.

And thanks for the heads up on the late model key tumbler. It certainly explains why the ignition key doesn’t work anything else.
More proof I have a parts car. headbang.gif

Cheers,

Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.