Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fried something? not chicken. no start now.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quinn Moore
dumb move of the day....(car related anyway). troubleshooting a "tapping" noise issue. so, bought a compression tester gauge. The fancy one with braided hose. cylinders 1,2,3 went fine. on IV.....the hose was flapping around as I was threading it into the head and....BAM. opposite end tapped the battery + terminal and a had a spark at the head tin cover.

Then...it started to rain. so I covered the car and will go look tomorrow. so....did I smoke a relay? quick check, I pulled the coil wire off- pulled the boot back...long pliers and held it near the distributor cap center terminal, and have spark. (the coil was disconnected during the compression testing. ). When I turn ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump.

(2nd dumb move of the day, don't pull the car out of the garage to work on it when thunderhead is rolling in....might not get it back in the garage).

Thanks, best forum on the www.

QM

Superhawk996
I’ll wager you’re fine.

Electricity follows path of least resistance. Engine is grounded. As long as it hit battery positive only all current flow was in the braid of the hose flowing between battery pos and the tin and/or cylinder head.

Be glad it didn’t glow and burn your hand.

Lesson learned. Next time disconnect battery negative terminal when threading that thing in. Better yet rubber hose. Nothing about 120 psi requires fancy braided hose. But of course I understand fully - braided hose sure looks cool. biggrin.gif
fixer34
QMoore, as mentioned, you most likely did little more than give your battery a discharge test, albeit unintended...

If you are in FRG, just 'up the road' (14) from me a bit. I'm in Rolling Meadows. Working on getting brakes & master cylinder back together on mine soon so I can get it out while the weather is still nice.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 9 2021, 08:31 PM) *

I’ll wager you’re fine.

Electricity follows path of least resistance. Engine is grounded. As long as it hit battery positive only all current flow was in the braid of the hose flowing between battery pos and the tin and/or cylinder head.

Lesson learned. Next time disconnect battery negative terminal when threading that thing in. Better yet rubber hose. Nothing about 120 psi requires fancy braided hose. But of course I understand fully - braided hose sure looks cool. biggrin.gif

Agreed, braided not necessary for this application.
So, car won't start now. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, and the engine does turn over. Maybe a relay? I'll go through it today.

QM
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 9 2021, 09:58 PM) *

QMoore, as mentioned, you most likely did little more than give your battery a discharge test, albeit unintended...

If you are in FRG, just 'up the road' (14) from me a bit. I'm in Rolling Meadows. Working on getting brakes & master cylinder back together on mine soon so I can get it out while the weather is still nice.

Cool, yeah FRG. Not far . (Lived in Arlington Heights for 6yrs before coming here.) Do you know of a reputable 914 mechanic in the area?

Mechanic, not for the starting issue that I brought upon myself. But for the tapping noise.

Yes our days are numbered, weather. Hope you get yours back together and on the road.

Thx,

QM
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Aug 10 2021, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 9 2021, 08:31 PM) *

I’ll wager you’re fine.

Agreed, braided not necessary for this application.
So, car won't start now. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, and the engine does turn over. Maybe a relay? I'll go through it today.

QM

Fired right up this morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.