Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 gearbox cradle off the shelf ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vfe95
Hi there,
First of all, apologizes if information alreday on the forum, I'm not an expert of search engine wink.gif
I'm in restauration process of my 914 with GT flares, roll cage, chassis stifening, front cooler etc... and a 3.2 flat6 with custom efi biggrin.gif ... and so a 915 gearbox; my question concern this last subject:
I plan to install a cable shifter there : http://cableshift.com/915/915%20page.html , prefered to wevo/velios/bugat5speed kits, because of price ... and also the feeling that cable will be a more efficient/soft solution (free to locate shifter, no bad effect of motor movement on its bushings)
So, I have to build a cradle for the back of the 915 box, and I wonder if this part exists somewhere "off the shelf"; it will gain some time if so; nota: I would like to keep the bushings
Other question: the 915 I bought is a aluminium SC, so with elecronic tachy; for the same reason, does it exists a diff flange with a hole to relocate the tachy sensor "off the shelf" , in order to follow the diff rollover; if not, I will be obliged to drill it and weld something with my TIG, risky on alu

>Thanks for your advices
Vincent / France
mepstein
PMS - Patrick Motor Sports, used to make a transmission hanger. I had one as well as a cable shifter. I sold it for two reasons. 1. The cable shifter was very loose and imprecise. 2. The shaft from the transmission sticks far out the back of the car, necessitating twin mufflers instead of a conventional rear muffler. PMS no longer sells the hanger or the cable shifter.
vfe95
Thanks for your quick reply Mepstein, appreciated smile.gif

... I knew that cable shifter impose a splitted muffler but that didn't stress me ... but the fact that you had a negative feedback on accuracy of cable shift is of more concern for me... -> I'm in deep preoccupation consequently idea.gif

Was it the one from cableshift ?

-> I would be pleased to install Bott's kit (better than Wevo according to your 914world.com posts... seems that PMS has switched also from Wevo to Bott's one, correct?) but we have to compare 700$ to 2900€ biggrin.gif

=> Other advices with regard to compared precision of cable concept vs direct drive in order to guide me ? (considering that I have a maddog motor bracket with silent blocks, so engine maybe subject to torque roll)

Thanks, Vincent
mepstein
Porsche’s factory 914-8 and Brutus (916) used reinforced factory mounts with their 325hp engines.

What I was told with no confirmation from wevo, is that the former production run on the conversion pieces ran out and it wasn’t cost effective to make another batch. That’s why pms doesn’t have them anymore.

Putting a 915 into a 914 is expensive. That’s why most guys just stick with a 914 trans. You really have to budget $10k to do the 915. You have to add in a shift tower, linkage, axles, etc.

I’m no expert. This is all just my opinion. Mine was from cableshift and it was the one pms used to sell. They are still made but pms no longer carries them.

Another thing, of the many dozens of conversions I have seen over the years, I have never seen a working cable shifter. Not that they don’t exist but they sure can’t be many out there.
vfe95
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 18 2021, 10:45 AM) *

Porsche’s factory 914-8 and Brutus (916) used reinforced factory mounts with their 325hp engines.

What I was told with no confirmation from wevo, is that the former production run on the conversion pieces ran out and it wasn’t cost effective to make another batch. That’s why pms doesn’t have them anymore.

Putting a 915 into a 914 is expensive. That’s why most guys just stick with a 914 trans. You really have to budget $10k to do the 915. You have to add in a shift tower, linkage, axles, etc.

I’m no expert. This is all just my opinion. Mine was from cableshift and it was the one pms used to sell. They are still made but pms no longer carries them.

Another thing, of the many dozens of conversions I have seen over the years, I have never seen a working cable shifter. Not that they don’t exist but they sure can’t be many out there.

Thanks for these additionnal information mepstein-> If cable techno is really desapointing, i will invest the necessary money to have a fine solution (915 gearbox is already in my garage) -> I put in standby cableshift purchasing, time to contact Bott!
NB: Surprised no other guys react to that dilemna, according to the fact that some cars are "cable shifted" from factory sad.gif( for example boxsters)

Concerning elec tachy sensor new location to suit differential reverse, no feedback on options to do it? biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(vfe95 @ Aug 22 2021, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 18 2021, 10:45 AM) *

Thanks for these additionnal information mepstein-> If cable techno is really desapointing, i will invest the necessary money to have a fine solution (915 gearbox is already in my garage) -> I put in standby cableshift purchasing, time to contact Bott!
NB: Surprised no other guys react to that dilemna, according to the fact that some cars are "cable shifted" from factory sad.gif( for example boxsters)

Concerning elec tachy sensor new location to suit differential reverse, no feedback on options to do it? biggrin.gif

I have a feeling it's easier to cable shift a newer trans plus the boxster trans and shifter were designed together. It wasn't an aftermarket ad-on.
burton73
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t193540.html

Chris Hamilton
Sep 1 2012, 04:44 PM
1972 Porsche 914 Chevy 350cid v8, EFI, 930 Transaxle, Cage $20,000

For Sale: 1972 Porsche 914 v8. There are a lot of 914s around with v8 engines, but none like this. This car was built for the owner of Renegade Hybrids and has every major upgrade you could want.

This car weighs about 2500lbs. It has around 450hp. Redline is 7,000RPM. Electronic Fuel Injection is already tuned but is programmable with included module.

Body
-Clean title rust-free 1972 Porsche 914 chassis
-Registered in California. 1972 Does not require smog check
-Eight point rollcage tied to front and rear suspension mounts
-Steel slant nose fenders

Engine
-4-bolt Main Chevrolet 350cid block
-Edelbrock Performer RPM in-port programmable electronic fuel injection
-Mallory electronic distributor controlled by EFI computer
-Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads
-Edelbrock Performer RPM camshaft
-4-into-1 stainless ceramic coated headers
-Borla XR-1 stainless ceramic coated race mufflers
-Renegade Hybrids front mounted radiator with thermally controlled electric fans

Transmission
-Porsche 930 4-speed transaxle, has case machined for R&P flip
-Limited Slip Differential
-Porsche 930 CV joints and axles
-Porsche 930 clutch with custom control cable
-Custom Cable shifter. Precise short throw. This is the best shifting 914 you will ever drive.

Interior
-Custom made orange-on-black gauges by Hollywood Speedometer. These are the best!
-All new interior panels and carpets.
-5-point RJS camlock seatbelts

Suspension
-True 5-lug conversion using 930 hubs and flanges
-Porsche Boxster 17x8 alloy wheels
-Porsche 930 Bilstein front end
-Porsche 930 front swaybar
-SSBC Renegade ventilated brakes
-Bilstein rear coilovers
-Boxed rear trailing arms for added strength
-Solid suspension bushings
-225/45R17 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires

Not my car but some people liked the Cable Shift.
These things change as teck does but what is the answer. I was going to do the same with my V8 car

Bob Burton. Bob B

My 930 Trans mod for 914 with hydraulic clutch
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.