Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires needed, what are biggest tires to fit unmodified front fenders.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Movin6
Failed my state inspection for front tires... (How I never looked at the front tires while I had it on the lift for a week doing valve adjust, I'll never know...)

I have 225 50 R15 on rear, (Rears are slightly flaired, Front fenders appear stock.) 195 50 R15 on front with 6 1/5 15" rims all around. (Same sizes as it came from PO, with Yokohama A008 which I also had a set of.)

I have relatively new rears, was thinking of going with the same 195 50 15 for front replacement, but when I called Tire Rack they suggested those were small tires... (LOL load rating is 1,047 lbs per tire...)

But it raises the question - Should I consider a larger front tire? I'm guessing the 225 50 15 rears won't fit (I plan to jack it up and swap a rear to the front to confirm.)

Thoughts?

What are others doing, and should I change? (Have Kuhmo ECSTA AST on rear - A "High Performance All Season', so can match with a similar 195 50 15, I no longer track the car as when I ran the Yoko A008s...)
Chris914n6
Put the rear wheels on the front and if they clear, which is likely, get that size.
Craigers17
I THINK 205/55/15's would probably fit. On most tires, that would keep your overall tire diameter roughly the same as the 225/50's on the rear....just my two cents. You could also stick with 195's but increase the profile to 55's or 60's which would make it look LESS SMALL with respect to the wheel well.....again...just my 2 cents.
Shivers
I'm running 205's all around
Front yard mechanic
205 55 15 they only rub when you turn agree.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 18 2021, 04:54 PM) *

I've been running 205x65's on stock steel 5 1/2"rims for years, and only had a slight rub in the front inside well at full lock on my stock 914 fenders. I recently added 10mm spacers up front and no more rub, and with no interference with fenders on the edges of the wells. :headbanger:They are almost identical diameter to stock tires for which the speedometer was calibrated, so my speeds are accurately shown.
horizontally-opposed
205/60R15 is a really nice tire on the front of a NB 914, but there are so few good choices in that size these days. RIP, A-008R & A-008P.

Ran 205/55R15 all around for years with no issues. Maybe a little rub at full lock on the inside up front, but I don't recall that?

Have seen a NB 914-6 with 15x7s and 225/50R15 Toyos all around on slightly pulled rears. Looked great. Wonder if the fronts rubbed? Agree that the rear is the bigger issue.
Shivers
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 18 2021, 05:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Front wear from running a 205’s

Shivers
Wear in the rear of the wheel well. This is from 1984 until today.

Click to view attachment
Movin6
So I swapped fronts for rear, pics show the 225 20 R15 on Front.

(I'm not showing the 195 50 R15's on the rear, LOL)

There is plenty of clearance with the outer fender lip. At least when I lowered off the jack, maybe suspension will settle a bit after driving. Torrential rain started before I could test drive.

I assume tightest will be when turning at full lock? Like pics in above post, on the inside / body?

(added pic)Click to view attachment
SKL1
205's all the way around work great and are plenty of tire for that car. Just don't try and use Riviera wheels as the offset is wrong and you're lucky to get 165 or 185's to fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.