Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: South SF Bay breakfast THIS SATURDAY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dave_Darling
Seems to me that it's about time for another breakfast. Since nobody else has said boo about it, I figure I'll post the note. And since I'm posting it, I get to decide when and where. happy11.gif

So, this Saturday at 9:14 AM at the IHOP in Santa Clara. That's on Stevens Creek just off of the Lawrence Expressway. Click me for a Google Map!

I'm making it early (as opposed to the very popular "lunch" concept) to get away from the worst of the day's heat. There are also a few "other" things going on this coming weekend (San Jose Grand Prix, anyone?) so the morning meet-up will leave people the afternoon and evening for their other activities.

So come one, come all, to IHOP this Saturday.

--DD
mightyohm
I want to go, but I'm moving that day. Funny thing is I am moving to Lawrence and Homestead, just a few blocks away. Please keep having these breakfasts in my backyard. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Lyressa Roberts
I'm in. I wish we could make it about an hour later, but I'll survive. 8^) That's a long drive for me. 8^)
JeffBowlsby
I would be there Dave...but I already have other commitments...

Next time.... wink.gif
richardL
Sorry, not me. I'm starting a drive upto Seattle on Saturday morning sad.gif

Richard
olav

I'll show up as long as there's Swedish pancakes though.
Midtowner
Dang! I've got previous commitments. And I live five minutes from the location! Catch you next time! biggrin.gif
Jenny
I can't make it. Driving up to Sac'to at 7:30, and hopefully returning in time to catch a bit of the Grand Prix. Poo. sad.gif Plus I'm sick, and wouldn't want to accidentally cough on Olav's swedish pancakes. chowtime.gif

Jen

Who gets sick in July anyway? It's ricockulous. rolleyes.gif
lapuwali
Slightly OT: I've been considering the end of August breakfast. There's an IHOP in Foster City with good access from 101 and a big parking lot that's surrounded by "closed on Saturday" businesses. Perhaps a location a bit furthur north next month? This makes it a lot closer for the East Bay types, and should be a bit cooler (in temp), too.

Alternatively, we could all show up at Felix's "conversion" get-together in Milpitas the next day, instead, and perhaps have the Foster City breakfast in September.
neo914-6
<!-- QuoteBegin lapuwali+Jul 25 2005, 12:46 PM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 25 2005, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> Slightly OT: I've been considering the end of August breakfast.  There's an IHOP in Foster City with good access from 101 and a big parking lot that's surrounded by "closed on Saturday" businesses.  Perhaps a location a bit furthur north next month?  This makes it a lot closer for the East Bay types, and should be a bit cooler (in temp), too.

Alternatively, we could all show up at Felix's "conversion" get-together in Milpitas the next day, instead, and perhaps have the Foster City breakfast in September. <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
That's Dublin on the 28th... <!-- emo&;) -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Dave,
Thanks for the Boxster top, I'm at City Beach that day and then Jason's in the PM. "May" be able to make the BF with Alexi if we don't hang around too long in the parking lot. <!-- emo&:lol: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->
Lyressa Roberts
Well, this stinks. Excuses, excuses, excuses. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Either the Foster City or the Dublin ones sound like reasonable alternatives to me. Though if we crash the Hybrid meet, those of us with "never a V8" mentalities will have to check their attitude at the door... wink.gif

There are other possibilities, as well. We could go back to a lunchtime gathering; lots of people seemed to like not having to wake up so early. And there are other breakfast places than IHOP.

--DD
mightyohm
No, you're not allowed to move the breakfast when I move across town just so I am closer to IHOP!

laugh.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jul 25 2005, 01:59 PM)
No, you're not allowed to move the breakfast when I move across town just so I am closer to IHOP!

laugh.gif

Oh shut up, I'm trying to move the location to be closer to where *I* live. biggrin.gif

I think a rotating list of places might get more people to show up. Santa Clara, Foster City, someplace in the East Bay. Means everyone gets equally inconvenienced. I propose: Santa Clara in July, Dublin in August, Foster City in September, and if someone Over There wants to scout out someplace in, say, Hayward, for October, have at it, otherwise we go back to Santa Clara.

Jenny
But everytime we move it around, people end up getting lost or going to the wrong location. laugh.gif

Jen
Dave_Darling
We did try that for a little while... Mr. Peridot hosted the breakfast up at his place in the East Bay; that was pretty neat to see the manufacturing/fab/machining setup he has. There was at least one up in the North Bay, but I couldn't make it... sad.gif

It seems like most of the people who are willing to organize this event (HAH! Organize???) are in the South Bay, and they want it close to home--so to speak. If any of you folks from other areas want "the gathering" to be near you, I would suggest finding an appropriate place (lots of parking nearby is a Very Good Thing!) and posting it up on the board a week or two beforehand. It's usually been the last weekend of the month.

--DD
Jenny
Mr. Pickerell, I think. idea.gif

Jen
Trevorg7
Man, I missed the last one while traveling and now this one due to a family vacation. Do the kids really need to go to Disneyland?....think they would mind if I canceled?

T
grantsfo
If anyone is up for a Santa Cruz area breakfest I would be happy to coordinate sometime. We could do somthing like Davenport Cash Store or Whale Inn and then hit the twisties back to the bay area. Or maybe have a morning drive from Bay Area into hills with a lunch there. I have some great 914 roads scoped out here in Santa Cruz Mountains. I'd even entertain a gathering at my place, but you'd all have to be comfortable with parking in the dirt or gravel. Think I have room for about 15 cars here. My house is pretty well setup for parties - Decks with views of redwoods and ocean and not many neighbors.

There is a great loop we can do from hwy 84 to the coast onto Stage road back to hwy 1 up Bonny Doon road (by my house) to Empire grade to Jamison Creek Road to hwy 9 back to Bay Area.

Just some thoughts.
scruz914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 25 2005, 07:09 PM)
If anyone is up for a Santa Cruz area breakfest I would be happy to coordinate sometime. We could do somthing like Davenport Cash Store or Whale Inn and then hit the twisties back to the bay area. Or maybe have a morning drive from Bay Area into hills with a lunch there. I have some great 914 roads scoped out here in Santa Cruz Mountains. I'd even entertain a gathering at my place, but you'd all have to be comfortable with parking in the dirt or gravel. Think I have room for about 15 cars here. My house is pretty well setup for parties - Decks with views of redwoods and ocean and not many neighbors.

There is a great loop we can do from hwy 84 to the coast onto Stage road back to hwy 1 up Bonny Doon road (by my house) to Empire grade to Jamison Creek Road to hwy 9 back to Bay Area.

Just some thoughts.

icon_bump.gif

Pros:
For Santa Cruz folks, we wouldn't have to battle the beach traffic going home from SJ to SC (unless we take a back road).
For Bay Area folks, nice twisty roads both directions, and no beach traffic.

Cons:
For Santa Cruz folks, not much of a drive.
For Bay Area folks, longer drive.

Grant, I was thinking of something like this myself but the North Bay/East Bay people might not want to go the distance. There is also Duartes in Pescadero. They have a room for groups. The good thing about IHOP is they don't get too crowded. For a group our size the places over here would have a long wait.

I'm up for it though. There are some really fun backroads between the Bay Area and the Pacific! The SC guys could do a fun run into the mountains before breakfast.

-Jeff
Britain Smith
With several of the regulars bailing this weekend (including me), can we push this out to the first weekend in August? I am not sure how many more breakfast's we are going to have before October and it would be nice to see everyone before I leave. Even better, lets do lunch at the tied house.

-Britain
lapuwali
I'd be up for this, too. No reason we can't do all of the above, in order:

Santa Clara (this Saturday)
Dublin (August)
Foster City (September)
Santa Cruz (October)

Anyone in the East Bay want to handle November? Oakland, Berkeley, E-ville, Concord, etc?
Trekkor
Santa Cruz!!! Awesome.

I drove Hiway 9 last year with the FOUR up to Big Basin.
I'd love to run 9 with the SIX. rolleyes.gif

With all the a/x's, track days and spectator motorsport options, not to mention personal stuff, I'll check the dates as they are made firm.

KT

lapuwali
Unless something changes, the dates will always be the last Saturday of the month, as usual. The exception in the list above is Felix's conversion day in Dublin, which is on Sunday. The only question now is IF and WHERE on each day, but not WHEN.
Dave_Darling
Britain, if you think a lunch the following weekend would be good, then pick a place and post a note! smile.gif (It's not too hard to do!!)

--DD
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Jul 26 2005, 03:08 PM)
With several of the regulars bailing this weekend (including me), can we push this out to the first weekend in August? I am not sure how many more breakfast's we are going to have before October and it would be nice to see everyone before I leave. Even better, lets do lunch at the tied house.

-Britain

I think a lunch at Tied House the first weekend in August would be great!!! We haven't done that in a very long time. Are we all up for that?
Dave_Darling
Post it in another note, 'Rissa. smile.gif I bet you will get some responses...

--DD
nebreitling
bummer sad.gif i can't make this weekend 'cause i need to spend time with the gf, and the following saturday i'm doing the PCA HSDS... sad.gif
mightyohm
McMark - are you coming? If so I may be able to stop by and give you your KYBs...

McMark
For the people who say, "What about this place or that..." All you have to do (as Dave mentioned) is post a note here. You might only end up having a meal with 2 or 3 people, but you won't be alone! Organizing an event in this place is really too damn easy. Location, Time, Date, Done. wink.gif

Tied House in August sounds great!
neo914-6
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 26 2005, 03:37 PM)
Unless something changes, the dates will always be the last Saturday of the month, as usual. The exception in the list above is Felix's conversion day in Dublin, which is on Sunday. The only question now is IF and WHERE on each day, but not WHEN.

I'm changing (again) the Dublin meet to Saturday the 27th. All are invited smilie_pokal.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (McMark @ Jul 28 2005, 08:20 AM)
For the people who say, "What about this place or that..." All you have to do (as Dave mentioned) is post a note here. You might only end up having a meal with 2 or 3 people, but you won't be alone! Organizing an event in this place is really too damn easy. Location, Time, Date, Done. wink.gif

Tied House in August sounds great!

So true, just step up and post.

If you make it, can you swing by my place to look at Neo914-6 and the fab projects? I can send pics but it's not like being there...

I have to be somewhere at 11-4 so time is tight or you can come by later to crash Jason's BBQ. beerchug.gif
mightyohm
So who else is going to the Grand Prix on Sat?

Lyressa Roberts
My question is Saturday (this Saturday) still a go with some people. I don't want to drive all the way down (45 minutes to an hour) to just turn around and leave because I'm the only one showing up...

Is this Saturday still on for some?
neo914-6
I'm still in,

Dave better be too, being the organizer. wink.gif

Jason is going to the GP on Sat...
lapuwali
I'll be there, and I'll be at the Tied House if Lyressa gets a date set up. Not going to the GP. I hate street courses. They suck on TV, and they suck even more when you're actually there. All you see is chain link fencing and jersey barriers, with maybe the tops of the driver's helmets and the roll hoop.
neo914-6
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 28 2005, 06:59 PM)
I'll be there, and I'll be at the Tied House if Lyressa gets a date set up. Not going to the GP. I hate street courses. They suck on TV, and they suck even more when you're actually there. All you see is chain link fencing and jersey barriers, with maybe the tops of the driver's helmets and the roll hoop.

I think they're cool, you just have to shell out the $ and get grandstand seating and paddock or pit passes...

They should let a few street cars on the track for "legal" street speeding. biggrin.gif I guess you'll only live that out on a virtual game.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 28 2005, 03:49 PM)
Is this Saturday still on for some?

There'll be at least two of us.... smile.gif

--DD
Lyressa Roberts
Ok, then. As long as I'll not be the only one there, I'll show... biggrin.gif
mightyohm
I can't make it. I thought I'd be able to drop by, but the grand prix events start earlier than I anticipated...

dry.gif
Lyressa Roberts
Well guys, I hate to say it, but there doesn't look like much of a turnout...I don't want to be the only chicky amongst the roosters.

If we can't get more than this, I'm out. I'll keep tabs through the evening to see of some people change their minds.

unsure.gif
neo914-6
Brent is coming and Dan (Almaden) is a maybe. I believe Olav mentioned he would come.

Not everyone confirms they are attending.

Maybe Bill and Doris will show...
Brent
Sorry for not chiming in. I will be there for my first meet and greet, sans jackstand cars.
scruz914
I'm in if it is still on. I should have chimed in sooner but wasn't sure I could make it. I'll check back to confirm it is still on.

-Jeff
olav

Somethings come up and I can't make it this time. sad.gif

Next time...
scruz914
QUOTE (olav @ Jul 29 2005, 09:03 PM)
Somethings come up and I can't make it this time.  :(

Next time...

They aren't serving Swedish Pancakes? dry.gif
DanT
I should be there with the new toy.
wink.gif
Carl
Hi Dave,
Mer and I are busy tomorrow morning. Sorry we can't make it this time.
Lyressa Roberts
Yep, I'm bailing...my lunch isn't sitting well and I've been tossing my cookies all evening. I'll be ready for that brewsky at the tide house when the date is set though beer.gif
grantsfo
I'm 75% there. I have one early call to make and if things arent confimed I'll be there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.