Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pek771
I had the car in storage for a few weeks. I did some measuring and determined I can fit five (5) Tesla 22kW modules in the car handily...three up front and two in back. Also decided that I'm going with a Hyper9 motor, the lower voltage variety, with dual shafts. I have not yet made up my mind about whether to use the extra shaft to drive an AC compressor. I may just go with an electric compressor.

As I am cleaning it up for paint, I have noticed that it must have been hit in front. A new front (bumper) section has been welded in...at least it was a nice job of repair. I am going for a lightweight, so I'm scraping the sound deadener out. I'm thinking I can get under 2000 Lb fairly easily, even with the 290 lb of batteries. It should come out of corners like a rocket.
mepstein
Here's a list I made one day while waiting for a plane to take off. It’s not inclusive or accurate but may give you some ideas. Dropping 300lbs and adding an additional 600lbs for batteries will probably end you up in the weight range of a big six with much better weight distribution than all the guys putting big sixes in the back of their early 911’s.

10 - Firewall pad
10 - floor tar
60 - lids
10 - engine lid
5 - rockers
20 - glass bumpers
20 - targa top
5 - carpet
15 - exhaust
10 - Backpad
20 - air control
5 - door hardware
10 - Seat sliders
5 - interior padding
20 - headlights
10 - steel crossbar
10 - Heat flappers & lever
30 - battery and
5 - battery tray
20- Headers

Pedal board
Targa latches
Vent window & trim
Shortened sub dash
Sun visors
Glove box & ashtray
Trunk locks F & R
Glove box lock
Windshield wipers
Windshield washer
Trunk heat shield ?
Brake caliper shields
Radio & speakers
Engine lid latch & cable
Front trunk latch & cable
Front carpet board
Spare tire
Center tunnel covers
Shift knob
Antenna
Door cards
Door pocket

Shivers
I watched a documentary where the scientists had a drone in flight, had some kind of malfunction and it hit the earth. Wasn't that high up. The battery burst into flames upon impact. And not just a small fire, the dirt was frozen so two guys grabbed a big rock and started smashing the battery pack that didn't want to go out. Tesla may have crash zones for this reason, if they don't they should. Are you going to use some type of fire suppression system? Cool project
windforfun
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 10 2021, 01:17 PM) *

I watched a documentary where the scientists had a drone in flight, had some kind of malfunction and it hit the earth. Wasn't that high up. The battery burst into flames upon impact. And not just a small fire, the dirt was frozen so two guys grabbed a big rock and started smashing the battery pack that didn't want to go out. Tesla may have crash zones for this reason, if they don't they should. Are you going to use some type of fire suppression system? Cool project

So maybe batteries aren't really any safer than gasoline. Lithium ion & lead acid...

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
pek771
Update, March 2022
Waiting for the motor, still. NetGain has no Hyper9's in the 144V variant available at the moment. It has been 10 weeks.
I do have the transaxle adapter frome EV West, which is really shiny and nice. As is the aluminum flywheel, and the Stage 2 Kennedy pressure plate. Transaxle is done...A-F-M-S-Z. I took out the X fifth gear, and put in a stock 914 5th although the electric car guys tell me I will be mostly running is 3rd or 4th.
I did see some Tesla Model S modules, which I will be using. The mounting is a bit different than what I had pictured, but it is certainly do-able. I can get three batteries in the front. one where the fuel tank was, and two under the stowage area for the targa top. There is still room where the battery tray was, and on the opposite side, where the D-Jet control unit was.But, I do have to get in a coolant unit fr the controller and batteries, and an AC unit. There seems to be room for fender well condensers.
I stripped all of the road grime off the bottom, wheel wells, everywhere. The wells are once again orange. It is cleaned, and undercoated with Second Skin Spectrum. Some of it got treated with osphophospate to prevent any future corrosion, and then coated with POR-15 and topcoat. I installed 80 mil sound deadener in the floors and door panels. I cut out the old battery tray...I won't need it, and it was the only area of the car which appeared to have any rust at all.
Car is totally stripped of any trim, glass, interior, brakes, pedals, everything. Should be fairly easy to paint now.
I have left everything stock, except where I cut the wiring harness, and I even left that so it would be easy to reconnect. Just in case anyone ever wants to put an underpowered smelly engine back in it.

Click to view attachment
DBF
Great article in Panorama about a 13-year-old young woman doing an EV conversion on a 76 914. To her (and her generation), EV's and EV conversions will be the norm, but she is also one of us since she also thinks a 914 "is really cool". I wish her luck, and looking forward to reading about the details of your conversion.
914e
@pek771 did you see the electric 914 on BaT. It looks pretty well done.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-pors...comments-anchor
It might give you some ideas for your project.
pek771
@914e
I did not, but I will check it out.
Pat
Mikey914
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 23 2021, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(pek771 @ Aug 23 2021, 10:33 AM) *

Well, it had these bumpers on it. There was a pile of bumpers there, and I took these as being the nicest. I don't care about period correctness. I Actually have no idea what should be on it. I do need to find some better seats, and some fiberglass to replace the front and rear lids.

I think 914 Rubber is still working on improved fiberglass and carbon fiber lids. Is there more piles of 914 parts where you picked this one up?

I have the fiberglass and carbon fiber in stock.
Mikey914
Ans if you look at the list provided we can even provide with a headlight delete option
pek771
We will talk in the near future. I still need door panels.
pek771
Short update: I brought the car to the painter yesterday. He said to grind the 40 year old Bondo off. It is all cracked, and would not make a good underlayment. Evidently, Bondo technology has come a long way in 40 years.
On the brighter side, my motor will be in in 3 weeks, supposedly.It was very nice of Karmann to put the oil line holes on either side of the floor pan (that is where the battery wires will go.

@shivers- No fire suppression system is planned. If I get a thermal runaway on the batteries, I jump out. I don't think there is a good way to put that sort of fire out in any onboard system.

@914e- I am trying to figure out a way to utilize the space on either side of the engine compartment for batteries. But, the batteries have to match the Tesla Model S modules to work properly (22.7V, 5.3kWh).

And, finally, did the 1970 have side marker lights? ( I suspect yes). The holes were filled in with 1979 Bondo.
Jett
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 10 2021, 01:17 PM) *

Kevlar bag for the batteries is a common protection mechanism, but you are spot on with the risk.
pek771
The car goes to the paint shop on 6 June. I think we are going with Porsche Murano Green, from the 80's. Everything else will bedliner black.
Car weighs 1200 lb empty (it is around 570# in front and 630# in the rear), including the wheels, front and rear lids, rocker panels and targa top-no glass, no powertrain. no seats. I sanded all of the 40 year old bondo off, which was cracked. Undercoated everything with Second Skin Spectrum.

Click to view attachment

Car started out as orange. someone resprayed everything in blue. Tough getting all the blue painted areas prepped sufficiently for new paint.
Cairo94507
Hi Patrick - Nicely done. Taking the extra time and effort to prepare the jams, trunks, engine bay, etc., will pay great dividends once painted as the new color will adhere nicely. Nothing worse than a color change when it gets a chip and you see the prior color(s) show through. BTW, I like Murano Green. beerchug.gif
pek771
Short update: Got this from the painter today. Evidently there are a couple (at least) of Porsche Murano Green, so we came up with this instead. Everything not shiny and blue/green is bedliner.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
That's a nice color!
autopro
Color looks great!
pek771
Click to view attachment
Quick progress report:
6 of the 7 Tesla modules are in. I managed to get two 2/0 wires in the tunnel.
Motor is mounted on the gearbox. I did install the Quiafe TBD. The charger is laid out, but I have to fab some brackets for it. No cooling system yet.

pek771
Click to view attachment

Doesn't take up much room.
DRPHIL914
@pek771

what tow bar did you use? the one on the first post , picture of it hooked up . that step up is what they need to line up with a hitch, I got the Harbor Freight one but its flat and i am going to have to use a lowring drop hitch on the truck, or get a different tow bar like that.

Thanks,

Phil

PS, nice project, that paint looks great. In light of recent increase in prices but recent increase in interest of battery power conversions im not sure the value will be hurt by the conversion. Someone could always take it back to original. My son and i were going to do this about 12 years ago, thats why i bought my car, but we dident do it as the cost of batteries, LIPO at that time was rediculous and either way you would not even get 75 miles so it got restored back to original color etc. BUT he and i still have thought of doing this, maybe only to tub that had already been butchered smile.gif .

Looking forward to seeing the culmination of your effort.
pek771
Phil, I got that hitch plate from 914Rubber. It accepts a Super Beetle tow bar. The 914Rubber plate is still on the car..bolts up to the stock torsion bar housing in front. The hitch is a Curt, and it is a 5" drop hitch that goes into the receiver on the car..So, the 914Rubber plate and the Super Beetle tow bar cost about $300; well worth it.
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
@pek771
Any updates?
pek771
Update:
Moving to NC in two weeks. Been getting the car ready to pull up to NC from Florida. I am going to flat tow it. I have a TOAD portable braking system for it.I'm debating the merits of putting the front and rear glass in first.
I had two battery boxes built up in Tampa. All seven Tesla modules are in, but not wired. I have them in pretty secure, so this little trip will be a good test.
Rear battery boxes with batteries are 125 Lb each, and the motor and controller are 139 Lb, so this works out fairly closely to the original 4 cylinder weight.
When I get the car up to Carolina, I'll go through the weights and corner weights. I am pretty sure that the car will spin like a top, and not roll over:)

Click to view attachment
Dlee6205
Where in NC are you moving to?
pek771
Hi Doug, Rock Barn, in Conover.
FlacaProductions
Doubtful. It'll gain less than 200 lbs. and acquire rocket-like acceleration.
krazykonrad
This is a really interesting project. Where are you $-wise on the cost of the electric components? I'm interested to see where this lines up with a six conversion or a Subaru conversion.

beerchug.gif
pek771
@krazykonrad :
I am at approximately $41k on this, everything. Cost of the car, shipping to FL, motor, batteries, every nut and bolt almost. Paint, new rubber and trim parts, total refresh.

Like you, I am curious where it lines up. I think my old 914 racer was about the same. The Hyper9 motor and 7 Tesla modules are about the same as a well built 2.7. I think a Suby conversion would be more.
Jett
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 10 2021, 12:17 PM) *

IIRC. The RC folks wrap the batteries in Kevlar to protect them and control fire.
CCE
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 15 2022, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Aug 23 2021, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(pek771 @ Aug 23 2021, 10:33 AM) *

Well, it had these bumpers on it. There was a pile of bumpers there, and I took these as being the nicest. I don't care about period correctness. I Actually have no idea what should be on it. I do need to find some better seats, and some fiberglass to replace the front and rear lids.

I think 914 Rubber is still working on improved fiberglass and carbon fiber lids. Is there more piles of 914 parts where you picked this one up?

I have the fiberglass and carbon fiber in stock.

Wow! Nice, how do they look finished? And what is the cost?
VaccaRabite
Best of luck on the move!
pek771
@vaccarabite
Thanks!
pek771
BTW, I seemed to have made it to Conover, NC. Flat towed the 914 here from Florida.

Click to view attachment
pek771
Update, Decoration Day 2023.
Batteries are all in. 7 Tesla modules and 6 4s18 p 2170 cell packs I built for the lower voltage stuff. This way. I don't have to rob and power from the Tesla modules. 4 Tesla modules are astride the motor in the engine compartment, and three are in the front. Th 6 4s18p batteries are where the fuel tank was, and in the very from of the trunk. I got new CV's and booties from PMB, There is very little room for the axle shafts to clear the rear batteries. Frankly, I'm worried I may twist the shafts out and short the batteries.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

More to follow...
pek771
Click to view attachment

I am rewiring the lighting at the moment. Don't need most of the existing electric or the 50Click to view attachment year old wiring, but I am keeping some of the wiring (it's in the tunnel).
pek771
Last photo for today:

Click to view attachment
pek771
Update 1 October 2023:
Rear battery boxes are in (rev 2 boxes, I didn't like the HV terminals next to the axle shafts)
Wiper motor system doesn't work, so I am looking for a good motor
Today, I'll try to get the fresh airbox in (there may be a battery in the way)
I have to get two batteries re-repaired from 057 Tech in Hickory (I have 0 V on two cell taps, which I don't think the BMS will like)
Corbeau seats are mounted on the sliding rails (I had to weld in a new bracket in the drivers side)

Wiring is a PITA
I ordered a cell tap validation tool from Orion (although I have been shaking the wiring out with a voltmeter)
I got a motorcycle radiator for the cooling system, and ordered a pump and more rubber fuel hose
Mounted the charger under the rear trunk, next to the transmission
More that I forgot at the moment
Pat

VaccaRabite
How close are the axles to the battery boxes that you are worried?

So long as your CV bolts are good and properly torqued, and you are using new schnorr washers, you should be in good shape. I don't think the axles can wobble or really twist. That much torque would break the CV or the transmission before the axles.

In a stock application the axles are near the heat exchangers and the shifter bar. On my car they are also near the aux ol cooler.

SO long as an axle does not break the CV and start flailing around, you should be good.

Zach
Gint
QUOTE(pek771 @ Oct 1 2023, 04:04 AM) *
Wiring is a PITA

Yep!

Awesome project. Can't wait to see it finished. And you're getting close.
pek771
I lost two roll pins for the new CV joints (lobro). I'm going to make some new press fit pins, on my lathe, from a bit of steel.

And, I picked up a pump, mounted it under the rear trunk, by the radiator, It is so odd to have a radiator.

I have one Tesla module that has no voltage reading on cell taps 2 or 3. 057 Technology can fix these, but they seem to have stopped the battery operations, no one is at their shop; it's closed down. I can't get ahold of Jason (the former owner). I hate to have to fix this myself, but I will if I have to. It becomes a big problem with the BMS if I can't read these two cell groups.

pek771
I weighed the tub. 2100 with no windshield or rear glass, or Corbeau seats. Everything else is in…batteries, motor, wires.

I’ll corner weigh it after I look over the front suspension.
Geezer914
No such thing as a quiet sports car. Converting to electric will make the car heavy. Yes you will have instant torque, but you will sacrifice handling which is what the 914 is all about. By converting to electric you will end up with a fast turd stromberg.gif
Chris914n6
2100# is not a bad weight. My N6 is about that with a full tank.

Should make for a fun 100 mile round trip.
nimblemotorsports
I converted a Boxster to EV and think that is a better option than a 914. Back in the day, an air cooled car was a good donor, but today plenty of cars to choose from.
The 914 isn't really built to hold a lot of weight, so yeah those V8 swaps are horrible, so I am thinking a v8 swap into my 914. But with a complete suspension swap too.
I already have another 2 EV projects.

There is a 914 EV on the Sacramento CL right now, is this a members car?
Only asking $18k and it has a Tesla motor.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sac...7690362519.html
IPB Image

Look forward to seeing the finished project!
pek771
weight on the proform scales:
2004 total, no driver, hoods, targa top, glass, one battery is out of the front (55 lb)

this is the first iteration, Now that I know how to work the scales and can get the car to stay on them, I can do the suspension.
FR 450
RR 508
FL 484
RL 562

not as heavy as some think
Chris914n6
That's a matter of context.

My car will go 400 miles on a tank, which would get me out of town as fast as I want.

You've got an estimated 100 miles between breaks. 400 miles of battery would be much heavier.

QUOTE(pek771 @ Jan 9 2024, 04:02 AM) *

weight on the proform scales:
2004 total, no driver, hoods, targa top, glass, one battery is out of the front (55 lb)

this is the first iteration, Now that I know how to work the scales and can get the car to stay on them, I can do the suspension.
FR 450
RR 508
FL 484
RL 562

not as heavy as some think

targa72e
I have found for me the drive around 2 hours and stop (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc) and then drive 2-3 hours more to be the sweat spot for long drives in a old car. Still keeps things fun.
When I need to slog out long distance (not for fun) then a modern car with comfortable seats and all the tech makes the long days bearable .

john
pek771
How much range is unknown at this point. I am hoping for the best… I figure I weigh half as much as a Tesla and I have half as much energy storage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.