Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Motor Dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Edit* - So I was jumpering the connection incorrectly. I didn't realize I needed power to go to 53 and 53a/b at the same time to get hi/lo. Both old motor and new motor are working. They both click when running which I assume is normal. The linkage was indeed locked up on both. I ended up having to loosen the large nuts. This allowed the linkage to flow more freely. This seems like a poor design as if you tighten both nuts it could make the linkage impossible to move. I doused every moving part in oil. Ill clean it up with a rag before putting the linkage back on the motor then test it out again. Once question is how do I check the park? I read to jumper 31 and 53, but it never seems to do anything. Should the jumper be placed while 53a/b also have power?

One of the items on my Okteenerfest checklist is to have working wipers in the event of rain. Since I needed to take the tank out anyway to add the return fuel line I figured I would swap out my dead (bench tested) wiper setup. I got a nice one from a local member that claimed it was working. Got everything installed and went to use my new switch and it didn't work. I tested before installing and it was rocking inside the frunk. I started to play around with the connections and sent power directly to the top connecter (slow) It started to move, in its rotation it would come to a stop and then go again. I pulled the plug and decided to check the lower spade (high) it did nothing. I went back to the top spade nothing. So I got 3-4 rotations before dying. I thought maybe something else was going on so I took the battery directly to it. ground the neg and pos to the top, still no movement. I realize these 50 yr old things need some grease, but it managed to die that quick. Is there a way to rebuild these things?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 1 2021, 06:41 PM) *

Edit* - So I was jumpering the connection incorrectly. I didn't realize I needed power to go to 53 and 53a/b at the same time to get hi/lo. Both old motor and new motor are working. They both click when running which I assume is normal. The linkage was indeed locked up on both. I ended up having to loosen the large nuts. This allowed the linkage to flow more freely. This seems like a poor design as if you tighten both nuts it could make the linkage impossible to move. I doused every moving part in oil. Ill clean it up with a rag before putting the linkage back on the motor then test it out again. Once question is how do I check the park? I read to jumper 31 and 53, but it never seems to do anything. Should the jumper be placed while 53a/b also have power?

One of the items on my Okteenerfest checklist is to have working wipers in the event of rain. Since I needed to take the tank out anyway to add the return fuel line I figured I would swap out my dead (bench tested) wiper setup. I got a nice one from a local member that claimed it was working. Got everything installed and went to use my new switch and it didn't work. I tested before installing and it was rocking inside the frunk. I started to play around with the connections and sent power directly to the top connecter (slow) It started to move, in its rotation it would come to a stop and then go again. I pulled the plug and decided to check the lower spade (high) it did nothing. I went back to the top spade nothing. So I got 3-4 rotations before dying. I thought maybe something else was going on so I took the battery directly to it. ground the neg and pos to the top, still no movement. I realize these 50 yr old things need some grease, but it managed to die that quick. Is there a way to rebuild these things?

Opened mine up and greased it good, then rigged up a switch to put it into park position.

This may help a little.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=304921&hl=
nditiz1
Funny enough I was reading through your thread last night. I never found your end result rigging to get it to go to park.

I also think I have a bad wiper switch since it always wants to be on. I could of sworn I swapped it out. I will be updating to a VW electric washer switch so two birds one stone when I do that.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 2 2021, 10:57 AM) *

Funny enough I was reading through your thread last night. I never found your end result rigging to get it to go to park.

I had a picture somewhere of the switch I used. Should have added that to the thread.

Can't seem to find it now.

Sorry
Olympic 914
Ok I found my picture of the switch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You connect power to the Red wire

Yellow to 31B

Green to 53.

Pretty sure that's how it worked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.