Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Current cost for 914-6 conversion parts less engine and 5 lug stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I am considering a 914-6 conversion project and in the interest of due diligence, need to get a read on current parts costs to do it.

Assuming I already had an engine and the 5 lug bits, what is a good ball park figure I can expect to spend on these parts?
mepstein
What size engine? Will it need a front mounted cooler? That alone can add a couple thousand. Headers or heat exchangers, again, a couple thousand difference. Big engine usually needs different axles and cv joints, another thousand.

It’s probably best to write down what you have and what you want and we can help fill in the blanks. beerchug.gif
Mayne
This is going to hurt... popcorn[1].gif
914rrr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 2 2021, 01:44 PM) *

What size engine? Will it need a front mounted cooler? That alone can add a couple thousand. Headers or heat exchangers, again, a couple thousand difference. Big engine usually needs different axles and cv joints, another thousand.

It’s probably best to write down what you have and what you want and we can help fill in the blanks. beerchug.gif

Shooting for a stock-ish 3.0
Likely use a front mounted oil cooler
Heat exchangers - Q: are the Dansk repros NLA?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 2 2021, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 2 2021, 01:44 PM) *

Shooting for a stock-ish 3.0
Likely use a front mounted oil cooler -
Heat exchangers - Q: are the Dansk repros NLA?

Having been through it for a "warm" 2.2, I am guessing you want to budget $9-15k for good conversion parts with a front-mounted oil cooler done right and good HEs (skip Dansk and get Ben's, all day long), depending on your timeline and appetite for new or used parts. It can always be done for less, but time is money one way or another.

Well worth a look:
https://914-6werkshop.com/shop/products/

And Perry is another great resource for stuff you need. His engine mount and wiring have had rave reviews:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24228

The rest will come down to hours and dedication…
mepstein
With heat exchangers, nice muffler and front mounted cooler you are closer to 15 than 10. If you look at recently sold cars, you can see a good market for properly converted cars. It’s worth spending the money for good stuff. And I agree with Pete that 914-6Werkshop.com/Ben/MB911 makes top notch parts. Get a mad dog Motorsport oem style bulkhead mount and save yourself a lot of hassle.
Optimusglen
It also makes a difference if you're going to go through the engine at all, or just buy something that runs and slap it in. Engine rebuilds, even my stock 2.2T that I just finished, are not cheap or quick. It was 6 months and nearly $3k for my case work alone.
mb911
Happy to help how I can. Just let me know.

I can provide most everything and my sheet metal kits will be available shortly again

Btw probably can do it as cheap as 7k if you have an engine
mlindner
I'm with Ben, 7 to 10,000. And thats not with GT flares, paint and body work. With the GT build I just finished I'm at $35,000. That was with my old 914 1.8 being free as a start point and then all the FREE labor and good friends. Best, Mark PS, for all the time your going to be under the car you will need a lift.
nditiz1
Without the front oil cooler I'm around 5k. Ben supplied most of the items oil cooler mod, shift rod mod, headers, muffler, engine tin, oil tank. I didn't go with heat which saved a chunk, might swap out one later so I can have heat. He also helped with what soft oil lines to buy as well as other questions along the way.

Mount was maddog oem - its the best. Patrick Motorsports linkage.
mlindner
And when your done, this is where all the jewelry is!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
5 lug stuff can be pricey too.... front struts, brakes, maybe drill the rear rotors. Plus wheels and tires. All said and done that could even be up near 3k depending on what you go for, or what deals you can find.
Justinp71

As for 5 lug I ran 3" front 911 struts with good shape early 911 calipers and porterfield RS4 pads front and rear for many years. I thought that was a good braking system. I now have 3.5" struts and wilwood calipers upfront its almost overkill. Goes 100-25 on the track in a hurry...
mb911
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 2 2021, 12:02 PM) *

Without the front oil cooler I'm around 5k. Ben supplied most of the items oil cooler mod, shift rod mod, headers, muffler, engine tin, oil tank. I didn't go with heat which saved a chunk, might swap out one later so I can have heat. He also helped with what soft oil lines to buy as well as other questions along the way.

Mount was maddog oem - its the best. Patrick Motorsports linkage.

No heat saves big money.

The break down is that exhaust with heat ,muffler will cost around 4 k
Oil tank, sheet metal is about 1100
Oil lines (AN) is 200
Flywheel 400
Wire Harness 500 if you buy one from perry

Exhaust without heat about 2k
Shift linkage 150
Engine mount 500

Labor =0 if you do it yourself. If I do it for you 10k
930cabman
I am currently halfway down the /6 conversion road, and pricey it is. including a 2.7 it will probably come in around $20.k (hopefully). The car was free, and I should know better. BUY THE BEST CAR YOU CAN.
roblav1
A 3.0 liter car ought to have uprated axles and CV joints. You'll need transaxle flanges, hubs, stub axles, axles, and CV joints. Almost $2k there, and finding all of that is getting more difficult.

To keep costs down, find a 2.4T engine, add E pistons, E or Solex cams, and Weber 40 IDA carbs. No cooler needed nor axles CVs.

If you do a 3.0 liter or larger, you may as well go all in with the works, but you'll be in almost $40K total.

930cab is spot on. Don't waste your effort unless it's a good chsssis to begin with (unless you have close to Ben's welding abilities and a lot of time).
roblav1
I personally believe the best way to do the rear 5 lug conversion for a high torque engine:
- Find a pair of complete used 69-73 911 rear banana arms
- Use the stub axles, hubs, and parking brake components
- Purchase a pair of brand new 69-73 axles. Take off the CV's and use them
- Buy new sway-away axles at the right length
- Buy new Schoor washers for the CV bolts from a Hummer, much cheaper
- Flanges for non sportomatic, 901, 911, and early 915 boxes are getting difficult to find.

Tdskip
I’ve got two (don’t ask) I’m plowing through, doing your 3.0L build well so you can readily sell it if you need to is going to be $10-15K once everything is added up (skipping engine and 5 lug) .
dherr
This is very relevant as I am doing the same thing now (72 914 1.7) upgraded with a 2.7S motor. So looks like Ben's sheetmetal, headers and oil lines, Evilworks to rebuild one of my two transmissions and Maddogsmotorsports mount will be a good start.

Car is solid (sat in a garage since 1993), so we are tearing it apart for paint and I'll likely weld in some chassis reinforcements. I am also looking for a 911 suspension to gain the 5 lugs and brakes. Engine has not arrived yet, but looks really good from what I have discussed with the previous owner and I'll upgrade it to Carrera Tensioners as it is from a 1974 911S. Engine was converted to carbs. Body wise, looking to add the steel flares and matching lower rockers. Not a cheap project, but should be pretty awesome once it is done.
pek771
You are probably looking at $10k, if you do all of the work yourself. Likely $20k, counting the "while you're in there" stuff.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 2 2021, 12:46 PM) *

I can provide most everything and my sheet metal kits will be available shortly again

popcorn[1].gif poke.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Sep 2 2021, 05:42 PM) *

5 lug stuff can be pricey too.... front struts, brakes, maybe drill the rear rotors. Plus wheels and tires. All said and done that could even be up near 3k depending on what you go for, or what deals you can find.

Methinks the wheels alone will be over $3k judging by this auction...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/fuchs-76/...aign=2021-09-06
brant
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 6 2021, 07:47 AM) *

Those are one year 5.5 wheels
Pretty rare and pricey
Buy some 6 inch
mepstein
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 6 2021, 09:47 AM) *

5.5x15 is one of the special sizes of Fuchs that are very pricey. The way to get affordable 5 lug wheels is to buy 6x15 ATS cookie cutter wheels for $400-700 for a set of four. They fit a stock fender car and are strong and reasonable light.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2021, 06:05 AM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 6 2021, 09:47 AM) *

5.5x15 is one of the special sizes of Fuchs that are very pricey. The way to get affordable 5 lug wheels is to buy 6x15 ATS cookie cutter wheels for $400-700 for a set of four. They fit a stock fender car and are strong and reasonable light.

I agree with that as a great option. I feel that a person looking for deals and can DIY can really get everything done including -6 conversion parts and 5 lug setups for under 10k complete. The engine is not included in that estimate though.
914rrr
...and in case you wanted to do a 914-6 GT conversion, here's a set of wheels for ya:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/fuchs-porsche-6/
mepstein
QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 10 2021, 04:41 PM) *

...and in case you wanted to do a 914-6 GT conversion, here's a set of wheels for ya:

Just an overpriced set of 16’s. I think most GT’s used 15’s.
mlindner
I purchased the Maxilite wheels, looks like fuchs but not twenty years old. Light and strong.
dherr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2021, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Sep 10 2021, 04:41 PM) *

Just an overpriced set of 16’s. I think most GT’s used 15’s.

Yes, that is crazy. I'll be much happier with the set I am getting from you even if they are only 6' and 7" 16" Fuchs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.