Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie question - engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dherr
So like many of you, I have gone from one to two 914's in just two months. The first one is a 1972 1.7 that will be getting a 2.7S motor. That car was sitting in a garage for 35 years indoors on jack stands and is very rust free. The car came with a bunch of parts that I decided I did not need, so many of those were sold on here on forum (thanks).

So I have been ordering parts for the conversion, including just getting MadDogsMotorsports's engine mount kit, the oil tank and my 911S engine just came today. In the meantime, I had a rebuilt 2.0 sitting that I have been trying to sell and not getting a lot of interest in it due to the reputation of the rebuilder. So at the last minute, I decided to pull it off of Ebay and bought a car on Ebay to put it in as it was 25 miles from my house.

IPB Image

This car has an interesting history, has a nice paint job and interior, was at one point a 6 cylinder car, but now has a 1.7 back in it. Missing the exhaust and intake, but other than that it is very complete and solid project. My plans are to put my 2.0 in this car and get it on the road again. I'll probably put back on the correct bumpers

So my question is what do I need from the 1.7 engine to mount the 2.0? This 2.0 is really just a 1.7 with 2.0 jugs and heads on it, so can I use all the 1.7 tin? Do the rest of the mounts, engine wise still remain as 1.7? Same with the shift linkage? Use 1.7 heat exchangers and exhaust? Lots of questions!
930cabman
It would make it easier if your post fit the page. I have no idea how to fix though.
At minimum the top tins from a 1.7 and 2.0 are different in the spark plug locations, also heat exchangers are different sizes.

Bet you can't wait to have the /6 rockin down the highway?
Shivers
Ok, lol, you have a 72 1.7 and you want to put a 1911 with 2.0 heads in it.(are you sure they are 2.0?) If 2.0 heads you'll need tins. Everything else should work to bolt it in. Intake may need some mods, depending on what you are using.
dherr
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 10 2021, 02:47 PM) *

It would make it easier if your post fit the page. I have no idea how to fix though.
At minimum the top tins from a 1.7 and 2.0 are different in the spark plug locations, also heat exchangers are different sizes.

I figured it out, the pics from my phone are huge, so have to resize them before uploading them. Corrected it now.

So I can go see if my current tins will fit the 2.0 at the spark plug area as a test. I have a ton of stuff, but no idea what any of it is. So if the engine is really a 1.7 block, the rest should fit, it is just the head pieces since the heads are larger and have the relocated spark plug locations for the 2.0?
dherr
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 10 2021, 03:18 PM) *

Ok, lol, you have a 72 1.7 and you want to put a 1911 with 2.0 heads in it.(are you sure they are 2.0?) If 2.0 heads you'll need tins. Everything else should work to bolt it in. Intake may need some mods, depending on what you are using.

Yes, for this red car, I will just be installing my 2.0 engine. It has 2.0 heads as they are 3 bolt. So sounds like I need the top pieces for each side of the engine around the heads, but can use the rest from the 1.7?
dherr

Yes, the 72 will be quite a fun project, but more longer term the red car. Just got the 2.7S engine, can't wait to start playing with it.
IPB Image
Shivers
QUOTE(dherr @ Sep 10 2021, 12:18 PM) *

I figured it out, the pics from my phone are huge, so have to resize them before uploading them. Corrected it now.

So I can go see if my current tins will fit the 2.0 at the spark plug area as a test. I have a ton of stuff, but no idea what any of it is. So if the engine is really a 1.7 block, the rest should fit, it is just the head pieces since the heads are larger and have the relocated spark plug locations for the 2.0?

The blocks are all the same, engine mounts change so you may need to change the mounts. The 2.0 heads are a different design, plugs in a different location, not really larger except where the cylinder fits into the head. Post some pics of what you have, It would help
dherr
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 10 2021, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(dherr @ Sep 10 2021, 12:18 PM) *

The blocks are all the same, engine mounts change so you may need to change the mounts. The 2.0 heads are a different design, plugs in a different location, not really larger except where the cylinder fits into the head. Post some pics of what you have, It would help

IPB Image

I just pulled the head tin and see that it fits, but the spark plugs are fouling it, so I'll start looking for some 2.0 head tin. But the rest of the 1.7 tin should work fine?
Shivers
Yes it should. Maybe modify those to fit
brant
The bottom tins and motor mount depend on which shift linkage you use

The side shifter is a big improvement but requires motor mounts and multiple parts that are different than the tail shifter linkage
iankarr
Also, since you mention that your "new" car was at one time a six, make sure that the engine console mounts are still there. I've seen them removed for 6 conversions. (not my pic).
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
You can modify those tins to fit the 2.0 plug locations.

Click to view attachment

dherr
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 11 2021, 09:05 AM) *

You can modify those tins to fit the 2.0 plug locations.

Click to view attachment

That is looking like my best option, not finding any 2.0 tin available, so looks like I'll have to figure out the new locations and then fill and grind the welds. Any other changes or just fit the entire 1.7 tin set once they are modified for the plug holes?
Shivers
I believe he also moved the hole for the head temp sensor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.