Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug brake rotor warped rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I'm throwing on some NOS calipers I got from Perry (thanks!) I'm trying to adjust them, but am finding when I turn the rotor to a certain point it is touching the outer pad. I have yet to touch the adjusters and I did tighten some washers down with the lugs to see if that was the issue. So is the rotor possibly warped or is the hub warped?
Optimusglen
Rotors will all have a bit of runout. You find that high spot to adjust your clearance to. Keep in mind your axels need to be in and torqued down fully to the hub. And rotor screwed to the hub as well.

Oh, and one other thing I found out tonight, if you have porterfields you should peel off the thin metal plate.

I'm also dealing with brakes, it seems my right rear outer adjuster is no longer communicating with the piston... Might be a trip killer.
nditiz1
Thanks for that info Glen. I definitely need to pull them out and peel it off.

I think pmb might have early rears, they didn't have any late which is why I had to buy new.

Worst case scenario, I don't get my car together in time and ship you a rear biggrin.gif

At least one of us will make it in a teener.
PatMc
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 10 2021, 11:08 PM) *

So I'm throwing on some NOS calipers I got from Perry (thanks!) I'm trying to adjust them, but am finding when I turn the rotor to a certain point it is touching the outer pad. I have yet to touch the adjusters and I did tighten some washers down with the lugs to see if that was the issue. So is the rotor possibly warped or is the hub warped?

Mark the rotor friction surface at the high spot with a sharpie....then pull the rotor off the hub and walk it around a couple lugs and try it again. If the sharpie mark is still at the high spot, then all your runout is in the rotor...go get it machined. If the mark is no longer at the high spot, then you have an issue with the hub or debris between the hub/rotor mating surfaces. Brake rotors shouldn't have any runout. 0.002" or so is allowable, but more than that is a problem that needs to be solved.
rhodyguy
Cool trick.
Chris914n6
I just went thru this last night. A tiny spec of debris stuck on the back side of the rotor. All good now after a thorough cleaning of it and the hub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.