Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5 lug brake rotor warped rear, Replacing brakes
nditiz1
post Sep 10 2021, 10:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I'm throwing on some NOS calipers I got from Perry (thanks!) I'm trying to adjust them, but am finding when I turn the rotor to a certain point it is touching the outer pad. I have yet to touch the adjusters and I did tighten some washers down with the lugs to see if that was the issue. So is the rotor possibly warped or is the hub warped?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 10 2021, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rotors will all have a bit of runout. You find that high spot to adjust your clearance to. Keep in mind your axels need to be in and torqued down fully to the hub. And rotor screwed to the hub as well.

Oh, and one other thing I found out tonight, if you have porterfields you should peel off the thin metal plate.

I'm also dealing with brakes, it seems my right rear outer adjuster is no longer communicating with the piston... Might be a trip killer.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 10 2021, 10:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for that info Glen. I definitely need to pull them out and peel it off.

I think pmb might have early rears, they didn't have any late which is why I had to buy new.

Worst case scenario, I don't get my car together in time and ship you a rear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

At least one of us will make it in a teener.
+Quote Post
PatMc
post Sep 12 2021, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,669
Region Association: None

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 10 2021, 11:08 PM) *

So I'm throwing on some NOS calipers I got from Perry (thanks!) I'm trying to adjust them, but am finding when I turn the rotor to a certain point it is touching the outer pad. I have yet to touch the adjusters and I did tighten some washers down with the lugs to see if that was the issue. So is the rotor possibly warped or is the hub warped?

Mark the rotor friction surface at the high spot with a sharpie....then pull the rotor off the hub and walk it around a couple lugs and try it again. If the sharpie mark is still at the high spot, then all your runout is in the rotor...go get it machined. If the mark is no longer at the high spot, then you have an issue with the hub or debris between the hub/rotor mating surfaces. Brake rotors shouldn't have any runout. 0.002" or so is allowable, but more than that is a problem that needs to be solved.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 12 2021, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Cool trick.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 12 2021, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just went thru this last night. A tiny spec of debris stuck on the back side of the rotor. All good now after a thorough cleaning of it and the hub.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:39 PM