Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake System leaking at reservoir
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi All - Sunday afternoon project and I was preparing to bleed my brakes as seen in the Ian Karr video. All going well, got up to about 1.5-2 lbs of pressure, when I realized my system was 'leaking' from the cloth connectors that link the reservoir to the plastic lines.

Pretty sure I had the bleed-screws open, and it was relatively low-pressure, anyone hav e an experience like this previously?
RiqueMar
Answering my own question, and as a warning to all those approaching this project. I drained the reservoir using a type of Turkey baster, and then removed it to check the 'cloth' lines. Replaced them with 8mm hose, only to find that I have a very small leak right above the strap that holds the reservoir.

Moral of the story, check the plastic lines, all your connections and the integrity of your reservoir. Special shout-out to the guru, @bdstone914 for letting me bounce some questions off him when I noticed brake fluid dripping out below my steering rack.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iankarr
Glad the video helped...and that you got the leak sorted before you got on the road. Assume you replaced with the brake fluid-safe lines. They're usually blue...
brant
I had the same leak from my reservoir a couple of years ago
I'd recommend you pull the pedal board and look under it.

when my reservoir leaked, it ran down the seam on the inside fender well, where it connects to the floor board behind the pedals.

I had dripping brake fluid on my skid pan
but also found a pool near the pedals... that had seeped through that spot welded seam into the interior compartment under the wooden pedal board.

RiqueMar
QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 13 2021, 06:15 AM) *

Glad the video helped...and that you got the leak sorted before you got on the road. Assume you replaced with the brake fluid-safe lines. They're usually blue...

@iankarr - SeƱor Ian, thanks not only for the video but for your input. The video gives one a great 'baseline', especially if the viewer isn't/wasn't familiar with the power bleeder. Brake fluid lines replaced, simple enough, though now I need a new reservoir.

For the record, when draining the reservoir, I used your syringe method and it worked well enough to get 90% of the fluid out. Thanks for the helpful tip.

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 13 2021, 08:48 AM) *

I had the same leak from my reservoir a couple of years ago
I'd recommend you pull the pedal board and look under it.

when my reservoir leaked, it ran down the seam on the inside fender well, where it connects to the floor board behind the pedals.

I had dripping brake fluid on my skid pan
but also found a pool near the pedals... that had seeped through that spot welded seam into the interior compartment under the wooden pedal board.

@brant - This is very-helpful, thanks. Mine did the same, exited out the drain for the fresh-air blower on the bottom of the gas-tank area and pooled just below the car. I didn't think about the space behind the pedals and I'll check there this evening. Did you have any trouble with your wiring harness after? I just installed the tank and put 8-or-so gallons in, and would hate to have to unwrap the harness.
brant
I didn't... but it is my race car that no longer has any of the stock wiring
(very few wires total and none in that location)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.