Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crazy things we see on Craigslist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Think about this one for a moment, but not too long. I have a set of ramps just like this.
mb911
Hmm that had to fun to load backwards
raynekat
Or he just jacked the car up high enough to get the ramps underneath and didn't really think about which way they were pointing????
Jamie
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 13 2021, 02:21 PM) *

Think about this one for a moment, but not too long. I have a set of ramps just like this.

Must have jacked it up first, then placed the ramps. I used to have such ramps, scared myself attempting to drive on several times and gave them away! barf.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 13 2021, 07:03 PM) *

Or he just jacked the car up high enough to get the ramps underneath and didn't really think about which way they were pointing????

I’ve done that many times. I just use the ramp to keep the car off the ground. I usually point the ramps in opposite directions. I add in jack stands for - just in case. I tend to put a lot of stuff under the car if I can’t use a lift.
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2021, 04:24 PM) *

I’ve done that many times. I just use the ramp to keep the car off the ground. I usually point the ramps in opposite directions. I add in jack stands for - just in case. I tend to put a lot of stuff under the car if I can’t use a lift.

I’ve done the same for jack stands plus it leaves room to slid in from the side. Ah but I’ve moved on to the Quick Jack.
bkrantz
Wait until he rolls off! screwy.gif

(Full confession: I had ramps like that in black, and have fond memories of driving to drive up them while they slid across concrete screeching like crazy.)
Front yard mechanic
I have a set like those also but mine are rusted just like my car
Dustin
I do this because if you drive up them the ramp is in a bad position for working under the car. Usually they're under the rear wheels though.
Montreal914
Placing the ramps like this gave him access for the floor jack to lift off of the underbody donuts? confused24.gif
Steve
I did the same thing back in the day…. Car was too low to the ground to drive up them, so I used them as jack stands with a floor jack. I eventually bought jack stands and threw them away.
JamesM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2021, 03:24 PM) *

agree.gif

I do this all the time in place of jackstands. My ramps have a chock at the top to stop you from rolling over them so ill place one ramp forward and the other in the reverse direction the car from moving.

A couple of my cars are so low they cant drive up the ramps anyways so jacking is mandatory.
Spoke

I've done this many times. First off, I don't like driving my car up the ramp. I'm always afraid I'll gun the motor too much and go right off of them.

Second the ramp part gets in the way if I need to get under the car on that side.
jd74914
I like to put ramps in opposing directions so there is a reduced chance of the car rolling off.
VaccaRabite
I used to do this too. Jack the car up and put it on ramps with the ramps pointed the wrong way. Made it a lot easier to get under the car. I've also placed them so the ramps faced 90 degrees away from the car. Putting the front end of the car on ramps made taking the engine out a little easier since it was not at such a steep angle once you had the back end high enough to get clearance for the engine and the jack (21 inches from valence to concrete IIRC).

Zach
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 14 2021, 04:41 AM) *

I've done this many times. First off, I don't like driving my car up the ramp. I'm always afraid I'll gun the motor too much and go right off of them.

Second the ramp part gets in the way if I need to get under the car on that side.

I've run off them in my '70 Monte Carlo and my '88 Land Cruiser. This is a valid concern.
Chris914n6
I use ramps as stands often as they are way more stable on my driveway. I think in this pic I was preparing to swap the trans and got sidetracked with wheels idea.gif

IPB Image
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 13 2021, 09:05 PM) *

I did the same thing back in the day…. Car was too low to the ground to drive up them, so I used them as jack stands with a floor jack. I eventually bought jack stands and threw them away.

same here and still have those type of ramp. Using it for safety instead of jack stand.
This week I was planning to leave it outside the garage if someone wants it. Or maybe metal truck guy will see it.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.