Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10 HP More
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
windforfun
At least it opens up the engine compartment...
JamesM
Id love to see the back to back dyno results with that one, but i doubt it.

Have seen dyno results from cars with aftermarket FI get more than 10HP over stock through the stock air filter... so not thinking its that much of a restriction.
emerygt350
Engine masters has played with this. That God awful 90 degree flat bend over the throttle body can't be good. My old Opel gt had the same crap going on. I would suspect more like 7 hp but it has to be better than what we have.
Montreal914
The add says "Gain up to 10HP"!

It also says "A great upgrade for stock or modified engine". So, would this intake setup allow a 10HP gain on a modified engine? idea.gif

windforfun
Here you go.
emerygt350
Is that a 1.8 or something from the movie Aliens?
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 24 2021, 07:13 PM) *

It's a "73 1.7. It's from "Prometheus" which is the 5th Aliens movie. BTW, I'm from Rochester & a huge Aliens movie fan. What a trip.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
AA
emerygt350
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 24 2021, 08:17 PM) *

It's a "73 1.7. It's from "Prometheus" which is the 5th Aliens movie. BTW, I'm from Rochester & a huge Aliens movie fan. What a trip.

I am down in the southern tier.
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 25 2021, 12:28 PM) *

Binghamton? Endicott? Johnson City? I'm out in CA now (since 1980).
emerygt350
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 25 2021, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 25 2021, 12:28 PM) *

Binghamton? Endicott? Johnson City? I'm out in CA now (since 1980).

Elmira!
burton73
Do you guys remember ( I am going to be 69) and the JC Whitney catalog would have ads for hop up items for VWs. This is back in 1968-69. It would say increase power 10%, 15%, 9%.

Besides the HP increases there was the famous rebuild in a can with magic pellets. It said you could get a car to run for 10,000 more

Bob B
confused24.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 25 2021, 02:27 PM) *

AA

agree.gif Quack merchant, profit is king.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 24 2021, 05:04 PM) *

Engine masters has played with this. That God awful 90 degree flat bend over the throttle body can't be good. My old Opel gt had the same crap going on. I would suspect more like 7 hp but it has to be better than what we have.

Flat bend, as in this oe 930 intake piece; not a chance; our spec intakes (about 2 dozen models) are mandrel formed -0- deformity or flat contours.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
NO chance of forming a Flat bend on a Teledyne Pines N°2 rotary hydraulic mandrel machine
marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
If I was Porsche, I'd put high flow cone air filters on my Strapping 4.0 flat 6 RS engines as well; wait What, they did ! These appear to be BMC (Italian mfg.)...just follow the aftermarket upgrade trends !
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Remember, when a part claims "up to" some number of HP gains, all that means is that it COULD cause a change which probably won't exceed 10HP.

That part could cost you -5HP or gain you +1 HP or net you 0HP. And all of that would be covered by the "up to 10HP" claim.

In all reality, it will make your induction louder and thats it. The restriction is the throttle body, not the air intake box.

Zach
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 28 2021, 06:20 AM) *

Remember, when a part claims "up to" some number of HP gains, all that means is that it COULD cause a change which probably won't exceed 10HP.

That part could cost you -5HP or gain you +1 HP or net you 0HP. And all of that would be covered by the "up to 10HP" claim.

In all reality, it will make your induction louder and thats it. The restriction is the throttle body, not the air intake box.

Zach

Your explanation is up to 100% accurate. av-943.gif

BTW I have some magic 10mm bolts* that will increase your HP by up to 1000 if you’re interested... lol-2.gif just $199! As little as $0.50 to infinity per hp!

*I have no data supporting this claim and no one on earth has been successful achieving these results, no documents exist anywhere, BUT YRMV!

Just messing with you grouphug.gif

emerygt350
On the 2.0, the air box channels into a little tiny flat bend over the top of the TB.

This is exactly what engine masters looked at and found not making the air do a 90 before it enters the TB is a good thing. Whether it is worth it on a 90 hp engine? I don't know.

CHeck out the salad bowl.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=det...F1DA51C5519F508
bbrock
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 28 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Whether it is worth it on a 90 hp engine? I don't know.

I think they kind of answered it. Even the worst cleaner they tested didn't appear to restrict flow until about 300 hp. I'm thinking a stock cleaner on a stock /4 engine probably isn't leaving much on the table. They also didn't test how well the different options actually filter. Kind of an important part of the equation for longevity. I'm not surprised the K&N on a velocity stack flowed almost as well as just the velocity stack.
mepstein
Hasn't that been sort of the joke about k&n filters for decades. I imagine they count on a new young set of buyers each year to fall for the marketing.
emerygt350
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 28 2021, 01:39 PM) *

I think they kind of answered it. Even the worst cleaner they tested didn't appear to restrict flow until about 300 hp. I'm thinking a stock cleaner on a stock /4 engine probably isn't leaving much on the table. They also didn't test how well the different options actually filter. Kind of an important part of the equation for longevity. I'm not surprised the K&N on a velocity stack flowed almost as well as just the velocity stack.

Yeah,it's not the filter I am interested in (although I do use oil k and n filters on my mustang and the 914, with noticeable upper rpm breathing improvement) it is the crazy flat bend at the TB. EM found a straight shot like the salad bowl and the velocity stack were the best.
bbrock
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 28 2021, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 28 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Yeah,it's not the filter I am interested in (although I do use oil k and n filters on my mustang and the 914, with noticeable upper rpm breathing improvement) it is the crazy flat bend at the TB. EM found a straight shot like the salad bowl and the velocity stack were the best.

Understood, but even the blocked off snorkel cleaner they tested didn't seem to restrict air up to 300 hp. I think you were spot on that it might not be worth it for a 90 hp engine. I doubt the cleaner is a limiting factor for these little engines. Interesting test though and I like seeing stuff like this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.