Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLVED: Turn signals still not canceling after installing new switch.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Need some help.

My turn signals haven't canceled since I bought my '73 2.0 about 6 months ago.

When I first investigated it by removed the steering wheel, I though it was clear that the switch was the issue, as some of the white plastic pieces that I believe are associated with the cancelation were broken and the W shaped spring piece was missing.

I bought a NOS SWF switch here on the board and installed it today. The issue is not resolved. Same issue no matter what steering wheel I put on the column (the factory wheel with factory ring or my Momo Prototipo with the factory ring swapped on it. I have the canceling finger at 3:00 (where it's supposed to be).

I can hear it clicking when I turn the wheel after making my turn with a turn signal on. It sounds like it's "trying" to cancel, but it doesn't. Same sounds and same result on L and R turns.

What could be the issue?

Should I try a new horn canceling ring?
partwerks
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Sep 25 2021, 08:19 AM) *

Need some help.

When I first investigated it by removed the steering wheel, I though it was clear that the switch was the issue, as some of the white plastic pieces that I believe are associated with the cancelation were broken and the W shaped spring piece was missing.

I bought a NOS SWF switch here on the board and installed it today. The issue is not resolved. Same issue no matter what steering wheel I put on the column (the factory wheel with factory ring or my Momo Prototipo with the factory ring swapped on it. I have the canceling finger at 3:00 (where it's supposed to be).

I can hear it clicking when I turn the wheel after making my turn with a turn signal on. It sounds like it's "trying" to cancel, but it doesn't. Same sounds and same result on L and R turns.

What could be the issue?

Been a while ago, but I think I was told that the 4 screws were a bit too tight. Maybe try loosening them, and see if that helps?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 25 2021, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Sep 25 2021, 08:19 AM) *

Need some help.

What could be the issue?

Been a while ago, but I think I was told that the 4 screws were a bit too tight. Maybe try loosening them, and see if that helps?

Ok. I'll try that. I definitely put them back in tight thinking that was needed.
914sgofast2
The tang that sticks down from the bottom of the steering wheel hub may not be making contact with the cancellation teeth of the turn signal switch.

I had this same problem, both with my stock steering wheel and an aftermarket Momo wheel. Had to put a couple of small washers under the plate which holds the tang to the bottom of the steering wheel hub so it reaches down far enough to touch the cancellation teeth on the turn signal switch that will only stick out when you move the turn signal lever up or down.
DC_neun_vierzehn
I loosened the 4 screws holding pair of switches in the column down. It helped a little. It now cancels on right turns, but not on left turns.

I'll try to loosen a hair more. If that doesn't work, I will try adding washers under the 3 screws that hold the horn cancelation ring into the the back of the wheel.
windforfun
The switch assembly needs to float. After loosening the screws, the assembly needs to be pulled out a wee bit. BTDT.
jrmdir
The screws should be tight or else the plate will flex when the stalks are pulled back for high/low beams and washer.

I had the same issue until I looked at the setup and decided the tang needs to be at the 3 o'clock position* - right where the cancelling tab is - and mine was not. In that position, when you turn either direction even slightly the tang gets out of the way and the tab pops out. It's then "cocked" for when the tang hits it on the way back and turns off the switch.

*The horn wiper ring with the tang on it has three screws. So the tang ends up either at 3 o'clock, 7 o'clock or 11. If at 7 or 11 it will have to rotate 120 degrees in one direction but 240 degrees in the other to hit the tab. Thus only working in one direction for most turns.

Ron
windforfun
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Sep 27 2021, 09:59 AM) *

The screws should be tight or else the plate will flex when the stalks are pulled back for high/low beams and washer.

I had the same issue until I looked at the setup and decided the tang needs to be at the 3 o'clock position* - right where the cancelling tab is - and mine was not. In that position, when you turn either direction even slightly the tang gets out of the way and the tab pops out. It's then "cocked" for when the tang hits it on the way back and turns off the switch.

*The horn wiper ring with the tang on it has three screws. So the tang ends up either at 3 o'clock, 7 o'clock or 11. If at 7 or 11 it will have to rotate 120 degrees in one direction but 240 degrees in the other to hit the tab. Thus only working in one direction for most turns.

Ron

Sung screws.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
jrmdir
^^^ Good point! Don't overtighten or the threads in the cast housing can strip.

Ron
FlacaProductions
and as a final touch, I had an audible scraping from the friction point of the horn ring - a dab of 3-in-1 oil run around that ring silenced it.
windforfun
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 28 2021, 09:39 AM) *

and as a final touch, I had an audible scraping from the friction point of the horn ring - a dab of 3-in-1 oil run around that ring silenced it.

AstroGlide.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
The Double S
I was having the same problem. My cancel ring tab almost looked like it was worn and wasn't reaching far enough to cancel the turn signal. It sounded like it was working correctly also.

I added 3 small washers and it worked better but still intermittently. My thread is below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=346481

DC_neun_vierzehn
To close the loop on this one in case anybody finds this post while searching to address their own problem of non-canceling turn signals ... what finally fixed my issue was to replace the canceling ring on the back of the steering wheel.

I got mine from 356 Devotion:

https://356devotion.com/porsche-914-horn-ca...ng-914-4-72-74/

But I wish I would have seen this one before placing that order since the item cost is cheaper (half the cost) and the shipping is way cheaper:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/914-914-6...928-p16007.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.