Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it necessary?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Ready to install new glass on fresh paint. 3M butyl primer is not allowed for sale in CO, and I can't find a similar substitute. I already have the butyl tape, so I don't want to go the Urethane adhesive route. As the area where the butyl will lay is clean enough to eat off of it...am I ok to just install the butyl by itself?
Shivers
Seems you should be ok without it, being clean.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=312146
76-914
agree.gif Just be sure both surfaces are clean and free of oils and waxes. beerchug.gif
914werke
no
Speedo
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 29 2021, 08:05 AM) *

no

Probably the shortest quote yet for 914world.

"no". Any further comment would be entertained.
930cabman
Clean, dry and sound are all that's required. Did you source 5/16" round?
914_teener
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 29 2021, 07:35 AM) *

Ready to install new glass on fresh paint. 3M butyl primer is not allowed for sale in CO, and I can't find a similar substitute. I already have the butyl tape, so I don't want to go the Urethane adhesive route. As the area where the butyl will lay is clean enough to eat off of it...am I ok to just install the butyl by itself?

I use acetone which they still sell in California BTW at Home Depot.

Your hands itself carry a fair amount of grease and oils. I know it's not aerospace but why chance a leak?

That'd be my .02.

Oh....wear gloves when using acetone...it's bad stuff but cleans like a mother.
NARP74
Ian just did a video on this. Perhaps you could get someone to purchase the primer for you and send it to you. Calirado...
maf914
Not a windshield, but I reset my rear window using butyl tape. I cleaned the glass and body work and wiped every thing down with mineral spirits multiple times. Put the tape in, put the glass in, pressed it in. That was about 20 years ago and it is still in place.
Speedo
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 29 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Yes 914Rubber provided. I have acetone and gloves...I'm good to go.
bbrock
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 29 2021, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 29 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Yes 914Rubber provided. I have acetone and gloves...I'm good to go.

Double check the size. The tape I got from 914Rubber was 3/8". You really want 5/16" It does make a difference.
IronHillRestorations
I wouldn’t put a windshield in without it
Montreal914
Acetone can leave a residue. Maybe clean with alcohol after the acetone? confused24.gif
Mikey914
No not required. It does however allow for better adhesion to the substructure. The frit was actually designed to be applied to glass for some glazing applications. It etches the glass and allows the adhesive to grab it.

I haven't put this up for awhile but it may be helpful to make the setting blocks as shown.

Paint degreaser works well too
rbzymek
@shivers
You can use my can of CRL if you provide $5 for shipping. The only requirement is that you offer it to someone else when you are done. Let's see how many applications are in a can.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Sep 30 2021, 12:23 PM) *

@shivers
You can use my can of CRL if you provide $5 for shipping. The only requirement is that you offer it to someone else when you are done. Let's see how many applications are in a can.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. But it's the other guy, @Speedo .
Mikey914
Yep you can't buy it anymore.
IronHillRestorations
3M 08681 Urethane Primer
Speedo
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Sep 30 2021, 11:23 AM) *

@shivers

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the offer...PM sent!
Who is next in line?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.