Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions on 914/6 torsion bar size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi folks, hoping to get some thoughts on what torsion bar size people with 911 front suspension are running for road/touring cars? My current set up is too firm for comfortable use and to minimize down time I would like to have the replacement bars on hand.

I have not pulled the existing bars out but it's the bars, not the shocks, since I have new Koni shocks on the front that aren't harsh.

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 1 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Hi folks, hoping to get some thoughts on what torsion bar size people with 911 front suspension are running for road/touring cars? My current set up is too firm for comfortable use and to minimize down time I would like to have the replacement bars on hand.

I have not pulled the existing bars out but it's the bars, not the shocks, since I have new Koni shocks on the front that aren't harsh.

Thanks!

The smallest you can fit. I don't remember the stock 911 size but i think it's already bigger than a stock 914 bar.

I prefer a bigger sway bar over bigger torsion bars for anything mostly street driven.
driving.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2021, 01:31 PM) *

Thanks!

The smallest you can fit. I don't remember the stock 911 size but i think it's already bigger than a stock 914 bar.

I prefer a bigger sway bar over bigger torsion bars for anything mostly street driven.
driving.gif

I think the smallest is 18.9 and that's about 1mm larger than the 914 bar.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2021, 10:56 AM) *

Thanks!

driving.gif

I think the smallest is 18.9 and that's about 1mm larger than the 914 bar.

I'm running the 18.8mm 911 torsion bars, they are one mm bigger (17.8) than 914-4 torsion bars. The very early 911's did run 17.8, the same as a stock 914-4. I had a set and traded it to Bruce for the later 18.8
Tdskip
Thank you gentlemen, appreciate the information and help.
Superhawk996

driving.gif

agree.gif Spot on. smilie_pokal.gif

You use springs (or torsion bars) to support the weight of the vehicle and to absorb vertical inputs.

Body roll is controlled via Anti-Roll Bar.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 1 2021, 04:34 PM) *

driving.gif

agree.gif Spot on. smilie_pokal.gif

You use springs (or torsion bars) to support the weight of the vehicle and to absorb vertical inputs.

Body roll is controlled via Anti-Roll Bar.

A lot of people think bigger is better but torsion bar spring rate ramps up quickly and too big makes the car very uncomfortable.
roblav1
Everybody is different! I prefer spring rate over bar!
SirAndy
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Oct 1 2021, 06:53 PM) *

Everybody is different! I prefer spring rate over bar!

Some of us like their dentures to stay inside the mouth while driving ...
slits.gif
screenguy914
Spring rate provides degrees of ride firmness.

Sway bars, since they connect the opposing corner, provide degrees of ride harshness.

And there are shocks that can do both.

Balance is the key.

Sherwood

Tdskip
Checking on this tomorrow and have 19mm on hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.