Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floors without rotisserie?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
Has anyone tried putting floors in without using rotisserie and just doing it from underneath? I tried searching and haven’t been able to find the right combination of words
mepstein
Ben can probably give you some tips. @MB911
tygaboy
I did a front half floor with the car on ramps and jack stands. Some of the time, it was actually on the ground... Starts on post #50 here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...years&st=40

Is there something specific you'd like to know?
Superhawk996
It’s doable. See my build link in signature. pages 21-23.

All work done on build cart without rotisserie.

Caveat is that all welding is TIG so overhead welding is possible without constant shower of sparks that would occur with MIG. I’ve done overhead MIG in past. Still doable - just need more care and planning on body position and good gear for protection. Leather jacket, face shielded, do rag to keep sparks off scalp, etc.
burton73
Before PMB got my 6 number 41, the body shop did this on a lift only. Just a note, I cut the floor so it looks like it left the factory that way.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mlindner
I did not do complete foors but with an open dolly and a scissor lift it would have been pretty ease. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Literati914
don't want to be the voice of negativity, but I broke down and built my rotisserie because I was seeing that doing the floors wasn't working for me. The hot welding slag dropping down on me was highly unpleasant even with the protective clothing (plus it was summer and humid too)... but then trying to grind certain areas while laying on my back was miserable and dangerous.

nivekdodge
Trying to get a good weld while avoiding the sparks would be difficult. I may start to look for two engine stands
Costa05
Did my front half on jack stands. Mig with gas plus clean metal was not bad for Rosett welds from below. The fitment of the new floor panel especially around the front wheel wells was most of the challenging work. It will not match up as tight as you will need it to so lots of bending, shaping, to close up gaps. Made a rolling dolly that I balanced floor panel on that was about 1/2" short of the elevation of the floor. Roll it under the car and cleco it in with four clecos at the corners. Makes it a lot easier getting fitment worked out.
bkrantz
How young are you? How "bold"? How tough, patient, persistent, flexible, pain-resistant?

I can imagine doing floors and other underside work without a rotisserie. But I can't imagine enjoying any of it. For me (old, not very flexible or tough), I really did enjoy all the work I did with the car easily flipped upside-down or on its side.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 2 2021, 11:48 AM) *

Has anyone tried putting floors in without using rotisserie and just doing it from underneath? I tried searching and haven’t been able to find the right combination of words

Check out Jared McGinness and his Irish Green 71 Resto thread.
@jaredmcginness

dlee6204
I did a rear floor pan on jack stands and although doable, I would never do it again. The hot lava spewing down was one thing but having the same attention to detail was near impossible and the quality of work was not where I wanted. I vowed to always use a rotisserie. The next car I did a set on, It only took me 2-3 hours extra time to get it on and off the rotisserie and in the end I probably gained that time back by ease of access. This car was mostly assembled except for interior and engine/trans.
mate914
I did a rear floor pan 15 years ago on four jack stands. Most of the cutting is from the top. About half the welding is on top. Now there will be some time prepping and rust treatment laying on your back. The reward is worth it.
Matt flag.gif
nivekdodge
Okay, convinced me. I’m looking for one now
mgp4591
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 3 2021, 01:07 PM) *

Okay, convinced me. I’m looking for one now

You could build a support framework that bolts on underneath and with some help, stand it on one side. It would probably cost less too... my rotisserie was only 1k delivered and I've been able to convert it to a 2 post lift with minimal expense. If you plan on using yours like this too, it's worth it to invest in one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.