Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
After working on it for about ayear I finally have my baby running. I finally really understand why these cars have such a loyal following. All I did was drive and grin.

I had about 36 carefree hours before I started running into problems. I know that it has been the topic of several threads, but I'm have starting issues. I drove all over the place one day. Start, stop, start, stop etc... That night I got rained on and the car would not start in the morning. Classic symptoms of all the electricals work but starter won't turn. After a push start (with help from my girlfriend who, amazingly, is still impressed that I got the car running), I drove it home. I started the car six or seven times that day while driving around with no problems. When I got home that night the same thing happened.

I cleaned off all the wires on the starter and the ground strap from the tranny. Still no go. I can start it no problem by crossing the posts, but not from the key.

What is my logical progression of checks? I know about the switch problems and seat belt Nazi Sensor, but just want to waste as little time as possible on unlikely scenarios.

Thanks
Brad Roberts
Do you have a cover on the relay board ?? I would check the yellow wire leading to the 14 pin connector on the backside of the relay board.

Welcome back Ben.

B
Aaron Cox
i had same problem after rains and such. buy a new ignition switch (13 $ )
rhodyguy
something else to consider while trouble shooting. check the condition of the spade connections, the yellow wires. make sure the terms are clean and that the wires aren't wiggly. slip the slide cover off the front harness on the relay board. push each wire down and make sure they are all in solid. the wire at the # 13 was not making contact, it's a ground point. this only took 3 days. take your time and realley study the CORRECT wiring diagram. with the +terminal disconnected from the bat start checking continuity to each junction point. when cont disappears. the light should go on in your brain.

after the silver car was up and the wife was going for the first ride the question was, "are we going to have to push it like the white car?" "nope". first shut down 20 miles from home. "help me give it a little push". one connection, yellow wire, was as loose as the day is long and had slipped off. a shot of contact cleaner and a new connector, very nice and tight now. haven't had a prob since. just "yanking" the start switch is a dangerous means of trouble shooting in my book. unless the top is off and it's a hurricane, why rain rain affect the switch?

kevin

kevin
ninefourteener
I agree with the statement a couple above.

That damn lock cylinder in the steering column is a piece of shit. From what I understand, those things go bad all the time.

Swap that out, it may just save you a lot of hassle, and give you piece of mind. A similar occurence happened to me, and that was the problem.

For 20 bucks, what can you lose?
rhodyguy
why in the name of hell would the lock in the cyl cause a no start issue? is it a ground point or a hot connection? unable to turn key? sure. but a intermitent start issue blink.gif ?

kevin
echocanyons
the ignition switch on the dash is often to blame and I found when mine was going out that if I would turn it 20 times or so at least one of those times it would catch.

I also had trouble with my POS flaps rebuilt starter overheating on long trips. I only noticed it after taking a long trip but after it cooled down it worked fine, this happened 4 or five times.

Lastly check the connections on the starter itself sometimes they can get corroded with the rain and cause it not to get a clean connection

addendum----I guess I should have read your post more carefully.

The starter would not turn over when overheated if I jumped the connections at the starter itself.

The Ign switch was very erratic in its starting, but would start if I jumped the connections.

I read that you cleaned the connections well so sorry
BenNC
OK, got a new switch. I'll check the wires and such tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.
onrails
had that problem,for a-long time! ,,,,,,,,,finally had to
replace the alternator & noticed that the ground was loose. put the new one in,made sure it was grounded good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,& haven't had a problem
thus far. sounds kind-of strange,,,,but it worked!
Brad Roberts
Welcome "Onrails" to the BBS !! clap56.gif

Lots of Oakies checking in over the last few months.

Will we see you at the MUSR in Hot Springs this year ?

B
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 23 2003, 01:50 PM)
Welcome "Onrails" to the BBS !! clap56.gif

Lots of Oakies checking in over the last few months.

Will we see you at the MUSR in Hot Springs this year ?

B

If your going to call us Okie's, at least spell it right! LOL

BTW, most everything you've heard about Okla is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
onrails
thanks brad! & yes i will be in hot springs for my second ramble,,,,,loved the first,,have to come!
i look forward to meeting everyone who is making the trip! see ya then beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
I never claimed I could speel...

B
onrails
lmao brad! you sound really fun,,,,look forward to our meeting! p.s. that your car??? oooooooo!
Brad Roberts
Not my car. I'm like Dave Darling.. I dont have a running/driving 914.. I just talk about them.

B
BenNC
Sho' nuff it was the ignition switch. Obligatory crack around the base. Thanks for the input.

Off to break something else. I'll let you know when I do.
jdogg
Great deal, Ben........ Are you coming friday?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.