Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche crest or no crest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KELTY360
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 27 2021, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 27 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Exactly, except that adding carburetors is also off limits. happy11.gif

headbang.gif Oh man! Now I'm out of the club and I didn't even know it. wacko.gif

Sorry, I was aiming at @bbrock , you were just in the line of fire.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 27 2021, 12:24 PM) *

What is a carburetor? Is that like a light bulb or vacuum tube? happy11.gif

It's a perfume atomizer.......

IPB Image
flipb
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 27 2021, 02:16 PM) *

IPB Image

Non-sequitur, but... I've always felt this was the wrong comparison. Isn't a perfume atomizer way more akin to a fuel injector? Since it takes a positive force to push out the fuel? (As opposed to a carb, where vacuum pressure pulls out the fuel.)
Van B
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 27 2021, 02:18 PM) *

Non-sequitur, but... I've always felt this was the wrong comparison. Isn't a perfume atomizer way more akin to a fuel injector? Since it takes a positive force to push out the fuel? (As opposed to a carb, where vacuum pressure pulls out the fuel.)

You're making too much sense man! Haven't you read Plato's allegory of the cave?
second wind
You don't see this badge placement very often but I love it! So subtle ...I've been told that the crest is special as well.
All the best,
ggClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 27 2021, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 27 2021, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 27 2021, 10:18 AM) *

I think I get it now. To be a member of the club that honors the tradition of not being welcomed to the other club, and was created by the botched marketing of a brilliantly engineered car - I can swap any engine I like into the chassis EXCEPT electric motors, and it is cool to install any period correct option or accessory available from the dealer EXCEPT the hood badge. Do I have that right? hide.gif

No.

The only acceptable engine is aircooled. Others are tolerated, but, we all know the only proper motor is air cooled. Glad to be able clear that up. happy11.gif

lol-2.gif

Dangit! I'm out of the "out of the club" club. Guess it's off to the NARNARP club for me. blink.gif
Ansbacher
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 27 2021, 12:30 AM) *

If I ever have the $ and time to get around to repainting my car, the crest will be removed (along with the side markers).

Now that is interesting. So, you want to remove the crest because the car did not originally come with one, but you want to remove the side markers because it did?

Ansbacher
Sway Bar
I like the idea of no crest or even lettering. Those that are in the know, know. Those that want to learn can ask.

However, I do find some comfort in the confusion on some in having this badge

Click to view attachment

However, it's a nice big square hood and the crest does look great nicely placed.

Be it NARP, Porsche, VW, or whatever purist form, it can't be any worse than when I go to coffee and cars and there is that 'guy' in the new Porsche that kinda looks like this

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 27 2021, 03:31 PM) *

You don't see this badge placement very often but I love it! So subtle ...I've been told that the crest is special as well.
All the best,

Why is the 914 cluster running up hill?
windforfun
QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 26 2021, 04:04 PM) *

Hey look!! its a bargain at only 80 bucks for the sticker!!!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche...al/99655921190/

I mean you could probably print your own but then Porsche would sue you back to the point of never wanting to see their logo on anything you own ever again!

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
PCH
My 71 came badged and I'm glad it did. People always wonder what kind of car it is. They see the badging and see that it is a Porsche 914. Saves me from having to go into the nuanced history of the 914. You know that the minute they get home they will Wiki it.

The badging gets me quicker back to my driving. driving.gif
NARP74
I've got an older Land Rover, badging all over. People still say nice jeep!
Shivers
Mine has factory emblem posts and speed nuts up front. The emblem went walk about. Probably ended up hot glued to a Yugo in El Monte.
second wind
QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 27 2021, 07:39 PM) *

All the best,

I do not understand your question? Do tell?
Thanks,
gg
jims914
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 28 2021, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 27 2021, 07:39 PM) *

All the best,

I do not understand your question? Do tell?
Thanks,
gg

If every one is upset about the hood crest then i wounder what they think about putting the crest from a 356 hood handle to the horn pad ???
Krieger
The correct answer is way too obvious. Own two 914s. One car has a badge. The other doesn't biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 27 2021, 01:18 PM) *

IPB Image

Nope, not the wrong comparison. The perfume atomizer was the inspiration for the first carburetor.

It is not positive pressure, but negative pressure. A perfume atomizer passes air through a venturi drawing the perfume up from the bowl and mixing it into the passing air. (Sound familiar???).

In 1885, Wilhelm Maybach and Gottlieb Daimler developed a float carburetor based on the atomizer nozzle (Wikipedia Reference)

Clay

Jett
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 29 2021, 04:47 AM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 27 2021, 01:18 PM) *

IPB Image

Nope, not the wrong comparison. The perfume atomizer was the inspiration for the first carburetor.

It is not positive pressure, but negative pressure. A perfume atomizer passes air through a venturi drawing the perfume up from the bowl and mixing it into the passing air. (Sound familiar???).

In 1885, Wilhelm Maybach and Gottlieb Daimler developed a float carburetor based on the atomizer nozzle (Wikipedia Reference)

Clay

Love it! I do this mapping all the time smile.gif
Root_Werks
Probably has a lot to do with experiences as well. Had something with a hood badge, coulda been a 911 or 944 or something. Thieves mangled the paint and hood to get the badge off. This was some 25+ years ago, made me wish no P-car I owned had a badge.

My current 914 doesn't have one, won't be putting one on.

That said, they do look nice on a 914.
mmichalik
My '75 had a badge on it when I got it. Once I started the restoration, I filled in the holes and removed it.
It also had A/C in it and I removed that as well. (you'd be amazed and how much structural integrity was gained when I welded in the replacement piece from RD)
I'm not nuts on the subject but, I did want my car to be factory correct, if not dealership correct.
My '74 does not have one.
TomE
One thing I have noticed is that they are all Volkswagens until you go to buy parts. Then they become a Porsche!
Van B
QUOTE(TomE @ Oct 29 2021, 02:09 PM) *

One thing I have noticed is that they are all Volkswagens until you go to buy parts. Then they become a Porsche!

Tom, this is a truly relevant observation agree.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 29 2021, 09:57 AM) *

That said, they do look nice on a 914.

And that's the real problem. As was said earlier, the front of a 914 is a big blank canvas and the Porsche crest is probably the most beautiful hood badge there is. I don't have a badge on my car, but it would look SOooo good with one on there.
Craigers17
When have you gone to far?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You wanted emotional and irrational......

Van B
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 29 2021, 06:27 PM) *

When have you gone to far?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You wanted emotional and irrational......

Yes Sir, and we thank you for it! That second photo might be the greatest thing on the front of a car, EVER!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Van B @ Oct 29 2021, 03:43 PM) *
That second photo might be the greatest thing on the front of a car, EVER!!!

I beg to differ ...
shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Sea Rooster
So what's the correct placement from the tip of the hood?

4, 6, 8 inches?

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
Van B
QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Oct 29 2021, 07:30 PM) *

So what's the correct placement from the tip of the hood?

4, 6, 8 inches?

I think we all know that answer. You’ll put it 6” and then tell her it’s 8” piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 27 2021, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 27 2021, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 27 2021, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 27 2021, 10:18 AM) *

I think I get it now. To be a member of the club that honors the tradition of not being welcomed to the other club, and was created by the botched marketing of a brilliantly engineered car - I can swap any engine I like into the chassis EXCEPT electric motors, and it is cool to install any period correct option or accessory available from the dealer EXCEPT the hood badge. Do I have that right? hide.gif

No.

The only acceptable engine is aircooled. Others are tolerated, but, we all know the only proper motor is air cooled. Glad to be able clear that up. happy11.gif

lol-2.gif

Dangit! I'm out of the "out of the club" club. Guess it's off to the NARNARP club for me. blink.gif

You sound confused about your orientation. shades.gif
fixer34
Well, if anyone has a hood badge that they feel they no longer want, I'll take it off your hands... I had the frunk hood replaced about 30 yrs ago due to a minor front end hit that buckled it. The one that was installed has 2 holes about where the badge would go and I never got around to doing anything with it. So I'm the guy in the middle-no badge, but 2 unsightly holes. This thread has motivated me to change that situation...

Now first choice would have been the one in the blue (although she is probably my age now), but she probably wouldn't be happy sitting in an unheated garage all winter, and I'm pretty sure the wife wouldn't be either...
eric9144
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 27 2021, 07:51 AM) *

No badge for me and also remove the rear grill lettering. Not many people around know what a 914 is anyway.

agree.gif
When i was 16 I was all about the badging, but being in SoCal with all the pinky lifting 911 owners I heard all the trash talk on 914's to the point where it got really old... Thankfully my ego wasn't tied to that and I actually started embracing the NARP thing even more, because I realized how much they underestimated the 914.

Fast forward to my current 914, flared, twinplug 3.8, no hood badge, no grill letters, somewhat of an enigma to the uninitiated and that's how I like it driving.gif

I don't think you'll get anyone bashing for badges per say, unelss it's something garishly overdone like on the sail panels, that being said, to each their own--if it's faux pas to assume someone's gender then I'm not going to assume your 914's manufacture origin either lol-2.gif
Van B
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 1 2021, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 27 2021, 07:51 AM) *

No badge for me and also remove the rear grill lettering. Not many people around know what a 914 is anyway.

agree.gif
When i was 16 I was all about the badging, but being in SoCal with all the pinky lifting 911 owners I heard all the trash talk on 914's to the point where it got really old... Thankfully my ego wasn't tied to that and I actually started embracing the NARP thing even more, because I realized how much they underestimated the 914.

Fast forward to my current 914, flared, twinplug 3.8, no hood badge, no grill letters, somewhat of an enigma to the uninitiated and that's how I like it driving.gif

I don't think you'll get anyone bashing for badges per say, unelss it's something garishly overdone like on the sail panels, that being said, to each their own--if it's faux pas to assume someone's gender then I'm not going to assume your 914's manufacture origin either lol-2.gif

A real veteran of the SoCal culture wars right here fellas flag.gif
Rick986
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2021, 05:23 PM) *

I beg to differ ...
shades.gif

Click to view attachment

YES!!!
windforfun
Who needs a badge? Dirty Harry never used his. Keep it simply stock.
eric9144
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 1 2021, 12:55 PM) *

A real veteran of the SoCal culture wars right here fellas flag.gif

Haha, the Stories are way better when the runt becomes the champion.

TTOD guys at the PCA Auto-X's were always 914's and the kicker was, the guy to beat was a big 4 and not even a 6 so they could feel good about themselves.
Jamie
QUOTE(Van B @ Oct 27 2021, 10:36 AM) *

You're making too much sense man! Haven't you read Plato's allegory of the cave?

As a schooled Philosopher, the Allegory of the Cave theme was more about form than function. bootyshake.gif
Ansbacher
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm one of those dual carb guys and I don't lose sleep at night when my car hiccups, dreading a trouble-shooting nightmare of a fifty-year-old fuel injection system.
Carbs are simple, easy to maintain, no electronics, and few moving parts.

Oh, and +1 for hood crests as long as they are placed esthetically (or is it aesthetically).

Ansbacher

Van B
QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 1 2021, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Oct 27 2021, 10:36 AM) *

As a schooled Philosopher, the Allegory of the Cave theme was more about form than function. bootyshake.gif

Oh Sir, the allegory of the cave was actually about how people will murder you if you tell them things they don’t want to hear… so don’t murder me ok?
VegasRacer
After thinking about this topic for a week now . . . idea.gif . . . crest.gif . . . I honestly have no opinion either way. yawn.gif
Badge or No Badge. confused24.gif I really don't care. yellowsleep[1].gif Whatever gets you thru the night.

However, biggrin.gif I have always considered the engine grill letters to be one of my favorite design details on a 914.

Click to view attachment

*(Full disclosure: Elvira came with hood piercings and Badge jewelry.)
**(I added the nipple rings.)
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2021, 04:23 PM) *

I beg to differ ...
shades.gif

You are correct @SirAndy smile.gif @Van B

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.