Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Other than the bracket for the charcoal canister to mount to, is the general shape/size the same on the 1974, compared to the 1975?

My 75 tank doesn't have a mounting bracket for the canister.

To say it differently, will the 1974, fit into the 1975?
bdstone914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 7 2021, 08:25 PM) *

Other than the bracket for the charcoal canister to mount to, is the general shape/size the same on the 1974, compared to the 1975?

My 75 tank doesn't have a mounting bracket for the canister.

To say it differently, will the 1974, fit into the 1975?

If you use the 75 tank with the expansion tank , filler neck, and cap it will fit.

Late 74 had the steel expansion tank and charcoal canister in the engine compartment.
You will have to adapt one of the vapor lines in the rocker panel to route the expansion tank fumes to the canister in the engine bay.
Steve
All the tanks will fit in all the 914 years. The only differences is the expansion tank and charcoal canister mounts. The early expansion tank was metal with a metal gas cap. Later expansion tanks are plastic with a plastic gas cap.
And what Bruce said.
partwerks
Maybe the 74 that is not installed, didn't come out of a 74? It came from a storage stash, so I can't say for sure, but there is a bracket for the canister on the tank. It has the steel expansion chamber, and steel gas cap, and plastic carbon canister.
JeffBowlsby
It would be really helpful if some of you with several different tanks, post comparison photos of the differences, including the new Dansk and AA tanks. Include close-ups of the different brackets and connection points on each different tank.

Are there 2 or three different tanks?
Steve
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 8 2021, 04:23 PM) *

It would be really helpful if some of you with several different tanks, post comparison photos of the differences, including the new Dansk tanks. Include close-ups of the different brackets and connection points on each different tank.

Are there 2 different tanks? Is the Dansk tank universal for all years or is it early or late?

I understand that the expansion tank was the same up to the late 1974 change to a plastic expansion tank, and not sure if those two tanks mount the same.

The other change would be the charcoal canister mount conditions.

Dansk used to sell only one tank that was totally wrong. Some of those tanks are still out there. Dr. 914 straightened them out and now they sell both versions (early and late).
partwerks
Was there just the plastic carbon canister type, and if so, what years?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.