Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: General question about used strut INSERTS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Ive got a couple sets of used front strut inserts that I've been planning to use eventually, one set of Koni's and a set of orange Boge Turbos. I know the rods on these were not sunk to the bottom of the tubes when I stored them several month back (stored standing up). But when I looked today, the rods were in their lowest points on both sets. They have strong resistance upon rebound (by hand) and a little less when pushing them back down but still seems like a good amount. I pulled/pushed them up and down a few times, but they always worked themselves back down eventually when left alone for a while.

my guess is that they shouldn't be collapsed, but then I was thinking that maybe them working through their motions might reinvigorate them (some voodoo magic confused24.gif ). Do they need a rebuild or trip to the dump?

mgp4591
I believe Konis can be rebuilt...check the model # of them on their site.
ChrisFoley
non-gas shocks will collapse on their own if stored vertically. Nothing wrong with that.
Testing function of a shock absorber requires a pretty vigorous push/pull cycle. Somewhat possible by hand when the bottom end is well anchored and the piston has something bolted onto it for grip. Non-gas shocks must be stood moreorless vertically for any test of function.
Superhawk996
agree.gif

But I'm going to disagree slightly. The only thing you can test by any sort of hand test is verifying that there is oil in the damper.

With hand forces, you're really only flowing oil though the piston bleed holes and not even deflecting the actual shim stack. If you had a shim stack, or base valve, that was broken in a catastrophic way (exceedingly rare), you could detect that too.

If you want to see a suspension dyno in action and get a sense of the shaft velocities and forces involved in testing dampers properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynHFv4cHyg
Literati914
Ok these are hydraulic I believe, so I’m thinking they’ll be fine. They came to me as ‘good’ inserts and nothing’s leaked out since they’ve been stored vertically. Thanks guys.

roblav1
I'm sure they can wear out, but I used Konis on early 911/914 for decades and never had to replace any.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.