Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusted Heat Control Box Clean Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
You will need a bucket, gallon of white vinegar and quart of lemon juice. Depending on the bucket size, mix 2 parts vinegar to 1 part lemon juice. Soak part along as needed. Pull part from time to time and scrub with small tooth brush size wire brush. Keep repeating until you are satisfied clean enough to paint. Wash, dry and get ready to apply paint as flash rust will appear as soon as the part is dry. Took about 6 hrs to soak and come clean. Going to finish off with wire wheel. Before and after, you can see flash rust .
930cabman
Looks good as new, what will you be using for a primer?
BeatNavy
Nice, Mark. I have a collection of those that could use this treatment. Some that work better than others dry.gif
914werke
aktion035.gif
Although I think you are making it more difficult than needed smile.gif
Apple cider vinegar (min 5% acidity) toss um in undiluted for a day or two.
Pull out & rinse using a brush to remove rust sediment (will come right off).
Dunk in a bath of water & baking soda to neutralize
I go to the added step and blast them & powder coat the outsides otherwise theyll rust in no time. happy11.gif
930cabman
Or, just drop them in a blast cabinet?
914Sixer
Going to use high temp primer and paint. Blast cabinet method is ok if you are going to powder coat because paint needs rough surface to adhere. Did not have loads of time in job, let the bucket solution do the work. Maybe 5 min in clean up each brushing.
bandjoey
Memory is old but think there's a cork gasket on that and it seems like 914rubber had those at one time. miscellaneous thought
Geezer914
The best rust remover I have used is Krud Kutter The Must For Rust. Soak parts overnight. It removes rust and paint and etches the metal for paint.
914Sixer
Final result
mlindner
Very nice Mark, thanks for sharing. Mark
bdstone914
If you want to speed up the process hameat the vinegar to near boiling. Smelly but works fast.
bkrantz
I REALLY like Evaporust. Works extremely well with overnight soaking, and seems to be very safe for any plastic bits that can't be detached. But it will remove paint (for good or bad).

https://www.evapo-rust.com/evapo-rust/
Root_Werks
Turned out nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.