Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I or Shouldn't I
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thetaxca
Hello forum! new member here!

I recently purchased a 1973 914 2.0 all original (except for modified dual exhaust and requisite back bumper) with zero rust that has 128K miles. Paint code L30 Light ivory (but is pretty white).
It has original paint which is desperate need of being redone.

I have always wanted a 914 and this car as more than met my fantasy, however at 60 years old, it is becoming more and more difficult to get in and out of so I am thinking of selling.

I have 3 options that I am seeking advice on wanting to maximize my investment:

1) sell as is. I paid $15K
2) repaint (engine & glass out) and sell ($8K quote)
3) I have been offered a 3.0l rebuilt flat six with a 915 transmission (all working perfectly) for $12K that my Indy mechanic says he make work in the 914 for about $8K.

Looking for some advice from the experts out there.

ThanksClick to view attachment
windforfun
No rust? Really? Don't want to drive it anymore? Leave it stock (as is) & sell it for a small fortune.
914Sixer
Sell, if it is all about comfort. All the update stuff is a money pit for you.
targa72e
If the car is all original i would sell as is. Original cars are original only once. I personally would prefer to buy an original car and if it needed paint have it done myself so I know exactly what I have.
If car is truly rust free and original paint probably sell for quite a bit more than 15K. I would look at results on Bring a trailer.

2) repaint (engine & glass out) and sell ($8K quote)
Price seams low. See comments above. I doubt you will recoup the money spent.

3) I have been offered a 3.0l rebuilt flat six with a 915 transmission (all working perfectly) for $12K that my Indy mechanic says he make work in the 914 for about $8K.
Great price for 3.0 and 915. No way to convert for 8K IMHO. You will have more than that just converting the 915 transmission to work in 914.
3.0 will require front cooler. With the required tank, mounts, engine sheet metal, oil lines, cooler, exhaust, fuel lines pump etc probably looking at $5-7K just in parts.

john
Montreal914
welcome.png

Yes, 914s are low cars which can make it challenging getting in and out of.

From this basic picture, this seems like a nice car, and 15K$ is appealing if it is a solid original 2.0 car. Right from the start though, there are signs that its originality has been altered: Aftermarket wheels, lack of black vinyl on the sail panels and lower sail trim removed and filled holes (i,e, repaint of that area). Also the sail panel rear edge trim shouldn't be black.

But all of this aside, back to your question, I think the prices you are being quoted for the work and the engine/trans combo are low. There is a lot of parts needed ($) to make a six conversion right.

Where are you in Canada? If you are in Ontario, I would contact Mark Henry (member here) and have a chat with him. If you are in the Montreal area, I would be interested in seeing the car as I will travel there for Christmas.

Last, I hate to deliverer the sad news, but there is no such thing as a rust free 914 sad.gif.

Edit: just saw you wanted advice from experts here. I am far from being one, just an enthusiast. smile.gif
rjames
What do you want from a car? Investment or something you'll really enjoy driving?

If the former, either sell it for a profit it now, or bet that prices will continue to rise and sell it later without modding it.
If the latter, do whatever you want to make it more enjoyable for you. Sounds like it's not a good fit for you though, so putting more money into it makes no sense.
SirAndy
QUOTE(thetaxca @ Dec 4 2021, 11:36 AM) *

- zero rust that has 128K miles

- seeking advice on wanting to maximize my investment

- There is no such thing as a rust free 914. All that means is that you haven't found it yet, but i can assure you, it is there.

- Since you are looking at a 60 year old car as an investment, my best advice is to clean it up nicely and flip it immediately and try to squeeze as much money out of it as you can.

As soon as you start "improving" the car, even with reselling in mind, you're throwing $$$ down a black bottomless pit.
popcorn[1].gif

mepstein
Your Indy mechanic doesn’t know what he’s talking about if he quoted you $8k to convert a six engine and 915 trans. He’s way, way off.
Cairo94507
Clean it up and sell it as is -please. The 3.0/915 for $12K is a killer deal. I agree with others, no way $8K is installing that 3.0/915 and getting it driving properly. beerchug.gif
Shivers
If you are talking about yourself being 60, my wife is older than you. howard.gif So if that is all it takes, then sell it like it is. Looks nice in the pic, someone would love to have it. Good luck with the sale.
SO.O.C914er
agree.gif don’t invest good money on a car you can’t enjoy driving for years. Thankful at 63 I can still get into my 48 year old 914. If this car is in great shape your profit margin will be the same selling it as is…..drive on teeners driving.gif
willieg
Putting in a 3.0 will not make your 914 any easier to get into.
Jett
SELL CAR IMMEDIATELY, and if you are in BC we may be interested.

I cannot add value to the sound advice provided, but can give you some additional price quotes.

1. Sell Price is probably $20k USD, but need more pictures to find the other modifications.

2. Window out paint job, new rubber, and reassemble… $20K USD best case, and expect that if it is not an enthusiast doing the work, then you will have damage.

3. 3.0 / tranny 6 conversion, installed with suspension, oil cooler, tin, mounts, wiring, etc., and done (without cost of motor and trans) $30k USD best case!
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2021, 02:59 PM) *

welcome.png

From this basic picture, this seems like a nice car, and 15K$ is appealing if it is a solid original 2.0 car. Right from the start though, there are signs that its originality has been altered: Aftermarket wheels, lack of black vinyl on the sail panels and lower sail trim removed and filled holes (i,e, repaint of that area). Also the sail panel rear edge trim shouldn't be black.

Not necessarily true, my friend. I also have a ‘73 2.0 that does not have vinyl on sails (never did) and has black trim instead of chrome (black bumpers instead of chrome, too). Dr. 914 (George) confirmed this to be original and rare (part of a “Sport” package in ‘73): it also has sway bars and the appearance package (center console, Fuchs, etc.). Mine is Ravenna green.
Porschef
Today’s my birthday; as long as I can still get into the car legs first I’ll keep driving it…

beerchug.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Dec 6 2021, 03:04 AM) *

welcome.png

Not necessarily true, my friend. I also have a ‘73 2.0 that does not have vinyl on sails (never did) and has black trim instead of chrome (black bumpers instead of chrome, too). Dr. 914 (George) confirmed this to be original and rare (part of a “Sport” package in ‘73): it also has sway bars and the appearance package (center console, Fuchs, etc.). Mine is Ravenna green.

agree.gif I believe @bbrock has this same package.
Mark Henry
If you're selling the above cosmetics and put real fuchs on it, they don't even have to be perfect. If it's a real '73 2.0 leave it alone.

I find turning 180 and sitting on the door sill, then swing in the rest is the best way in for us old farts... but I still do the batman entry with the top off.
smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2021, 11:50 AM) *

Sell, if it is all about comfort. All the update stuff is a money pit for you.

agree.gif

You answered your own question in your first post.
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 6 2021, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Dec 6 2021, 03:04 AM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif I believe @bbrock has this same package.

Correct. Looks like the OP's car has the "sport package" which came with Fuchs, sway bars, center console, black bumpers and targa trim, but no fog lights or sail vinyl. The wheels on this car are obviously not stock, but the rest fits.
jhynesrockmtn
Tongue in cheek, sorta - get on an exercise regimen and keep the car! I daily drive a 2004 C4S and enjoy my 914's a great deal. They are one of a few reasons I try to keep up with my yoga and other fitness activities. It still is uncomfortable getting in and out of all of them :-)

If you do sell, gather whatever records and history you have, clean it well, take lots of pics and sell as is.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 6 2021, 12:11 PM) *

Today’s my birthday; as long as I can still get into the car legs first I’ll keep driving it…

agree.gif

I am 58. As long as I can get in the car and push in the clutch I will be driving it.

driving.gif

Clay
Pezz
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2021, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(thetaxca @ Dec 4 2021, 11:36 AM) *

- zero rust that has 128K miles

- seeking advice on wanting to maximize my investment

- There is no such thing as a rust free 914. All that means is that you haven't found it yet, but i can assure you, it is there.

- Since you are looking at a 60 year old car as an investment, my best advice is to clean it up nicely and flip it immediately and try to squeeze as much money out of it as you can.

As soon as you start "improving" the car, even with reselling in mind, you're throwing $$$ down a black bottomless pit.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
rgolia
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 6 2021, 02:11 PM) *

Happy belated birthday Joe birthday3.gif
Arno914
"Zero rust"?

There is a reason when the sail panel vinyl is missing on a 914. The most unlikely reason is that it came as a "non appearance group" option. dry.gif

If the car has little rust and runs good, than my advice is: Keep it, enjoy it and invest in some cavity protection or leave as is and sell it.

Cheers, Arno

IPB Image
Gatornapper
Ditto.

George says there is no 914 ever w/o any rust. I believe him. There are those where all rust issues have been corrected.

GN

Oh- I'm 76 and while I do it more slowly, have no problem getting in our out of my 914 or my Cayman S.....

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Dec 8 2021, 11:39 AM) *

"Zero rust"?

There is a reason when the sail panel vinyl is missing on a 914. The most unlikely reason is that it came as a "non appearance group" option. dry.gif

If the car has little rust and runs good, than my advice is: Keep it, enjoy it and invest in some cavity protection or leave as is and sell it.

Cheers, Arno

IPB Image

Mark Henry
I would be interested in the 3.0 and 915 if you pass on it. smile.gif
I could even offer you a set of good 4 bolt fuchs, bolts and caps as a part payment.
r_towle
Sell it, buy a 997
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.