Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacation Spots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pastordavid
OK, I am finishing up the old Masters Degree this year, and my wife has told me that I get a vacation - wherever I want, in the US. Any ideas? What to do when we get there? Make it good (and clean!) folks...

david
smooth_eddy
Maui is nice this time of year. Actually, any time of year. Eddy
Allan
If it has to be in the US I personally would suggest Portland Oregon. If it was your dream vacation I would say Istanbul Turkey.

Not my call...
Hawktel
Yellowstone, in the middle of the week so your all alone.

markb
We had a good time on a Caribbean cruise, but I guess that's not in the US. biggrin.gif
nebreitling
go to mexico... cheaper and funner than the US.
smooth_eddy
go to mexico... cheaper and funner than the US.

Just remember, when you get that cramp below the belt that doubles you up, you have about 2 min to find a toilet. unsure.gif
messix
road trip thru utah canyons [ bryce and monument valley] then the grand canyon, and on to yosemite park.

this is the best of gods work on this land scape.

if that cant inspire the work of god nothing will.
Allan
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jul 28 2005, 08:02 PM)
Just remember, when you get that cramp below the belt that doubles you up, you have about 2 min to find a toilet.

And there wont be one from the time you feel the first twinge and the time your bowels explode...

Unless you like to poop on the sidewalk... biggrin.gif
ThinAir
Assuming you'd fly, I'd head for Portland, OR and use it as a base for seeing the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon Coast, wineries, Crater Lake, and Mt. Saint Helens. As much as I like Yosemite and Lake Tahoe, I don't think there is a single area with as much to see/do as well as lot's of opportunities for relaxation as the coast of Oregon. My mouth waters just thinking about Tillamook ice cream!

If you need to drive from Indiana, I think I'd head for New England, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Yes, I know the last two are not U.S. but they are close and the natives are friendly. I haven't been to that area since 1960, but I remember that the coast of Maine and all of Nova Scotia were very special places and they've long been on my list of places to go back to.

If I weren't restricted to the U.S., I'd go to Paris France.
SGB
Cozumel
aktion035.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jul 28 2005, 11:15 PM)

Unless you like to poop on the sidewalk... biggrin.gif

Which is legal, by the way.

I'd go to Vegas. Anything that happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, so I'd get all spendy, and leave the bill.

M
VegasRacer
#1 - Fly to San Diego.
#2 - Visit Mexico.
#3 - Rent a Boxster.
#4 - Head north on Hwy. 1.
#5 - Stop frequently to enjoy the sites.
#6 - Keep going until you hit the Canadian border.
GWN7
Portland....start off there, head up North and cruise back east thru the mountains..........wait a minuite I'm doing that tomorrow. wink.gif biggrin.gif
pastordavid
wow, this is interesting. i kinda expected everyone to suggest their hometown or area. portland seems to be in the lead...

david
grantsfo
The West Coast of Mexico or Canada would be my first choices if youre going to stay on the continent. Vancouver BC and Victoria are incredible until September. I'd go there before Portland. Portland is nice, but not nearly as scenic as Vancouver BC area. You also can take ferries to small islands like Salt Spring Island or Orcas Island.

I go to Puerto Escondido, a "sleepy" little fishing village in Mexcio every year for a couple weeks. Very fun place but very much off the beaten path. You fly in on a single engine 8 to 10 passenger Cessna from the city of Oaxaca.

Northern California has Yosemite, San Francisco and Monterey Bay areas, all nice.

Maine is beautiful too.
VegasRacer
You said to keep it clean so I figured that eliminated Sin City.
J P Stein
Portland is kinda nice. Summer finaly got here....now it won't go away.....we need some rain! laugh.gif
TravisNeff
I'll add portland as well, head to the coast, north up to seattle, go to the olympic peninsuala and see the rain forest and from there head up to the San Juan islands, victoria and vancouver. Lotsa fun.
Verruckt
Hit the badlands, visit the head rocks, then venture on down to the grand canyon. Hiking, rafting, etc. Been planning this for a while myself. wink.gif
pastordavid
Kurt, if you've got the jackstand queen, I may have her king. '72 silver!
redshift
QUOTE (pastordavid @ Jul 28 2005, 11:39 PM)
wow, this is interesting. i kinda expected everyone to suggest their hometown or area. portland seems to be in the lead...

david

...and Vegas..

rolleyes.gif

Did we mention we all work for the Portland Visitor's Board?

M
djm914-6
I only saw one comment on the Maine Coast, so I'll second that.

Acadia Park / Bar Harbor (pronounced Bah Habah) Maine. Nice roads, great hicking and climbing trails. Nothing beats watching the sun rise fron the top or Cadilac Mountain (First sun in the states). Then there's the CAT ferry to Canada for a day trip.

I have 30 years to save for my retirement home in the area.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
redshift
Maine looks dangerous; picture #2... uhh... Maine is barren, and jagged. Picture #3... is that a Giant Maine Wombat?

.... and to top it off, I googled for their state motto:

Maine, it's like Hell, only uphill from whereever you are.

smile.gif

M
djm914-6
Maybe I'm just too tired this morning, but I found that commentary hilarious. chairfall.gif
scottb
i have lived on both coasts and in the middle:

seattle: drink coffee, take the ferry to anywhere out of town and just watch the scenery. very cool wineries, breweries and great food. and you must hit the pike place market. buy some fresh flowers and produce, then a chunk of crusty bread and relax.

colorado: ignore the hot spots and go to leadville. a funky old mining town at 10,000 ft with an amazing amount of history. stop in at the pastime inn and have some chicken wings then take the tour about baby doe tabor. there are lots of antique shops and bed and breakfast places.

newport, RI: we are going there tomorrow actually. a nearly 400 year old port city. amazing architecture and beatiful harbor area. take the ghost tour that leaves the marriott at about 7:30 (blood alley is really creepy!) great food, nice beaches and very temperate. can be a bit pricey though.
JerryP
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 28 2005, 07:42 PM)

I go to Puerto Escondido, a "sleepy" little fishing village in Mexcio every year for a couple weeks. Very fun place but very much off the beaten path. You fly in on a single engine 8 to 10 passenger Cessna from the city of Oaxaca.

My wife and I were married in Oaxaca. Old colonial town with friendly people(we picked up all our wedding guests along the way). More to see in the area than I thought along with lazy afternoons/evenings in the Zocalo. Beach is a couple hours by car. Also one of Gourmet Magazine's Top 10 Food Cities in the world. I'm no gourmet but the food was great...and cheap. We are going back for Day of the Dead as soon as the spud is old enough for the trip.

In U.S.(part of it anyway): Glacier National Park is pretty cool also.
URY914
Do NOT come to Florida.

It is HOT.
It rains everyday.
Bugs.
Old people everywhere.
Its flat.
High taxes.
Hurricanes.

Go North.

P

Dead Air
If you'll be traveling this Autum
1 Niagara Falls region, 2 days, wine country.
2 Finger Lakes, 3 days, wine country.
3 The Adirondacks, 3 days, b.y.o.b.
4 drive down through the Catskills, 2 days.
5 NYC 2 days.

I love NY
pastordavid
Paul, yeah, right. I have been there, and only the folks from Florida say those things, to keep us northerners out!

I do agree with the bugs, though. I wish you the best this hurricane season, I lived through one (eye about 35 miles away) in 99-2000 when I was in NC going to Duke. It is not fun, and I cringe everytime I hear a report on TV.

david
Howard
Tell us more. Time of year? Driving or Flying? If driving, do you have a fun car to drive? Wanna drive fast? Like outdoorsy or urban action?
Every state has its great places, ya just don't want to be there at certain times of the year.

Eric_Shea
Cape Hatteras
TROJANMAN
THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST RECOMMENDATION YOU WILL RECEIVE

However, I suggest you only visit this place between September 23rd and September 25.
Katmanken
My vote is for Alaska in August. Do the Kenai penninsula and Anchorage. Go flightseeing. Wait til September and it's too late. Autumn is one week long. Terminal dusting of snow and the start of winter.

Maine is full of Maniacs. Blueberrys everywhere in the south and so many little tiny strawberrys in the northern parts that you can't sit down without getting a red butt. Oh yeah, better like pine trees- that's all they got. Moose are big- 7 feet high at the sholder and you can look them right in the kneecap. Stay out in the winter- 40 below for weeks at a time and snow higher than your head is no fun. I know- I lived there.

Florida is too hot right now.

Same with Kansas,

North Carolina is a beautiful state with a special color of green. Not too hot, mountains in the west and the beaches in the east. Go ruby mining in Maggi valley. Eat Callabash seafood. Tour colonial New Bern, etc.

And the southern part of Spain has forever stolen my heart. Best 3 years f my life.

Ken

bondo
If you go to Portland, wait until early July 06. biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 28 2005, 08:42 PM)
The West Coast of Mexico or Canada would be my first choices if youre going to stay on the continent.  Vancouver BC and Victoria are incredible until September.  I'd go there before Portland.  Portland is nice, but not nearly as scenic as Vancouver BC area.  You also can take ferries to small islands like Salt Spring Island or Orcas Island.  

I go to Puerto Escondido, a "sleepy" little fishing village in Mexcio every year for a couple weeks.  Very fun place but very much off the beaten path.  You fly in on a single engine 8 to 10 passenger Cessna from the city of Oaxaca.

Northern California has Yosemite, San Francisco and Monterey Bay areas,  all nice.

Maine is beautiful too.

I have to agree and your money goes father up north. Salt Spring Island is nice, as is Victoria or Vancouver BC.
Orcus island is nice, heck all of the San Juans are nicer than Portland plus Seattle is a great place to start off with, tons of stuff to do here ie: hiking, boating, ferry rides, sailing, Seafair in August, fly up to San Juans, Pike Place Market, a real nitelife with Jazz clubs.....
The Wash Coast is nice too as its so rugged compared to Ore which has real beaches.
Mt Rainer National Park never runs out of things for me to see and do.

Montana is beautiful and Glaicer National Park is incredible.

AZ is too hot this time of year!!

Tough to beat the Carribean anytime!
Alaska is fun but the bugs there are incredible!!!
mharrison
I love Gatlinburg, TN

The mountains are extremely peaceful. From there you can drive 20 minutes through the scenic mountain roads to get to Dollywood. I am not a Dolly Parton fan, but this is GREAT amusement park. Very short lines and lots of fun rides. You have to hit the Tennessee Tornado!
user posted image

and Thunderhead
user posted image

You also have to try the Indoor Skydiving in Pigeon Forge.

And this chalet is the place to stay. Pool Table, Hot Tub. Incredible View:
user posted image
And this pic really doesn't do the view justice!
Pugbug
I've been all over Canada, and much of the US....but I live in the nicest spot I have ever seen. Come and visit!
http://www.islands.bc.ca/
Bleyseng
Monique and I go up there for quick getaways. The Chinatown is really nice and Little India is soo much fun!! The Museum there with the NW Indian exhibits is a must see!!!
We rent bikes when we go to Victoria to get around there.
Randal
Here is great resource for places in Maui. We found a place right on the beach with a great reef where I taught the kids to free dive.

Ed and Judy Mee are great people and will be very helpful.

Ed is my step brother as well so say hello.

My Webpage
rhodyguy
i live in western wa and avoid seattle every chance i get. seriously. as bad of traffic as you will find. the pike place market is ok if you go there at 5 am, otherwise it's mobbed full of people (tourists). exhorbitantly high hotel rates. the hiking is far from seattle proper and you get the joy of screwed up traffic driving out and back. plus, with any luck the thieves will break into your rental when you leave it parked at the trailhead. the space needle is so cool rolleyes.gif ... unfortunately it costs $15 or $20 for a 600ft elevator ride so you can stand outside and look at the city. bottom line, seattle is exspensive. IF you should fly into seattle, get a rental car and get the hell out. again, seriously.

somthing not mentioned if you should go to portland. spend an evening or 2 at mt hood and stay at the timberline lodge. they might be running a package deal. elev 5200 ft, incredible vistas, and you can hike til your legs fall off. prob the coolest place, architictually speaking, i've ever been. great food, and you can ski the palmer snow field in july. nothing like girls skiing in bikinis. drive up through the gifford pinchot national forrest. as rugged terrain as you will find in the lower 48.

oh, re maui. get a condo in "old" kehei, low key, not at touristy as say lahaina or kaanapali. across the road from the water. cheaper than seattle on a per night basis. rent a jeep at the airport after 4 or 5 days there, when the beach "boredom"sets in. drive up the volcano, lots of things to do upland.

k
Bleyseng
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 30 2005, 02:57 PM)
i live in western wa and avoid seattle every chance i get. seriously. as bad of traffic as you will find. the pike place market is ok if you go there at 5 am, otherwise it's mobbed full of people (tourists). exhorbitantly high hotel rates. the hiking is far from seattle proper and you get the joy of screwed up traffic driving out and back. plus, with any luck the thieves will break into your rental when you leave it parked at the trailhead. the space needle is so cool rolleyes.gif ... unfortunately it costs $15 or $20 for a 600ft elevator ride so you can stand outside and look at the city. bottom line, seattle is exspensive. IF you should fly into seattle, get a rental car and get the hell out. again, seriously.

k

spoken like a true Tacomaian....haha you are just jealous cuz there ain't nothing to do in Tacoma!
Never had my car broken into hiking only parked in Takyoma. Pike Place is mobbed at 2PM on a Sat yes indeedy but I go there early like say 10AM for a walk thru and coffee on a Saturday as the tourists don't get up before then. Last time I went up the Space Needle was with Qarl when he came out.....
The Yakima Valley Winerys are a short drive away......
Tons of nice easy hikes and walks up I90 that this ole fart goes on.....Mt Si is really nice.
but I prefer Vancouver BC to go for a getaway.
rhodyguy
well vancouver's not seattle is it? did i mention going to tacoma? i don't live "in" tacoma anyway.screwy.gif what did i say about seattle that was untrue? there's nothing you can do in seattle, that i can't. just hardly worth the hassle to me. only 143.42 miles to yakima, one way. dry.gif . fun drive to go to a high plains desert!! huh.gif

k
LuckieO
Scuba diving in the Florida Keys is my vote...of course that is where I would like to go on every vacation (in the US)! biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Oh yeah, timberline lodge! bring an ax "HHHEEERRES JOHNNY!!"
rhodyguy
none of the interior footage was shot at T.L.

k
Bleyseng
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 30 2005, 03:24 PM)
well vancouver's not seattle is it? did i mention going to tacoma? i don't live "in" tacoma anyway.screwy.gif what did i say about seattle that was untrue? there's nothing you can do in seattle, that i can't. just hardly worth the hassle to me. only 143.42 miles to yakima, one way. dry.gif . fun drive to go to a high plains desert!! huh.gif

k

can't go a Mariners or Seahawk game in Tacoma....
rhodyguy
i don't do those either. nor do i stay in hotels with a surcharge to help pay for the stadiums. i didn't know you had season tickets.

k
Dead Air
Tocomaian? That's not a word!!
porsha916
I have lived in a number places around this country and visited numerous others, Bar harbor north for the coast of Maine in early September, northern Washington state not to close to Seattle (maybe two hours), Catskill mountains of New York, not to close to New York City (Maybe four hours), Daytona Beach in late fall and early spring. Good Luck with your trip!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.