Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carbon canister mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
On the carbon canister mount on the tank, I'm wondering how that band that goes around the canister mounts to that bracket?

The canister I have is the plastic one, and the tank is out of a 74, FWIW.
Steve
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 7 2021, 08:25 PM) *

On the carbon canister mount on the tank, I'm wondering how that band that goes around the canister mounts to that bracket?

I thought all the plastic ones were installed in the engine compartment?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108524
partwerks
This one is plastic, but not sure if I have the correct canister for the tank? Not making sense how that band hooks up to that mounting bracket on the tank??

Do I have the correct canister, or do I need the metal one?

Any pictures of how it attaches to the bracket on the tank?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
i could be wrong, but originally metal cans were in frunk.
plastic cans go with change to engine bay.

if you look close at frunk cans the mounting clip is different and seems to incorporate an extra ring clip off it for one of the hoses that goes around the can.

i'd say what you have in your boxes is an engine bay can set up.
partwerks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 05:44 PM) *

i could be wrong, but originally metal cans were in frunk.
plastic cans go with change to engine bay.

if you look close at frunk cans the mounting clip is different and seems to incorporate an extra ring clip off it for one of the hoses that goes around the can.

i'd say what you have in your boxes is an engine bay can set up.

I'm guessing that is why that bracket don't make any sense in how it would hook to the tab on the tank.

I wonder if the metal clamp on this canister would work on a metal canister?
wonkipop
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

the parts book says up to 73 is frunk.
and 74 is engine bay.

but we know they made some 74s with the frunk can.

---

what has become a little clearer with some other research amongst members with 1.8s is that it looks like 1.8 L jets don't start coming off production line until november 73.
about the time if i recall right from other reading that the change from front to engine bay happens.

i can't know this for sure, but i think its likely that (just about) all 74 1.8s had the engine bay can.
given dates.

and that its the 2.0 L from early in the 74 MY run that get the frunk tank?
going on what we found they only seemed to be making 2.0 L for the first few months of 74 MY production?
partwerks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 06:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and 74 is engine bay.

---

what has become a little clearer with some other research amongst members with 1.8s is that it looks like 1.8 L jets don't start coming off production line until november 73.
about the time if i recall right from other reading that the change from front to engine bay happens.

i can't know this for sure, but i think its likely that all 74 1.8s had the engine bay can.
given dates.

going on what we found they only seemed to be making 2.0 L for the first few months of 74 MY production?

Does the steel tank have a different style of retaining strap?
Looks like it hooks in on one end, and bolts to the tab on the tank?

I'm not putting it in the engine bay.
partwerks
Looks like my candidate gas tank is missing some small tab next to the seam, that would hook one end of the carbon canister strap to, then the other would go to the existing bracket where it bolts into at?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108524
wonkipop
sure looks like there is something on the seam it clips to.
strap looks like its got a slot in it which engages with a tab on tank seam?
then it just bolts down at the rear of the tank?

nothing like that on my gas tank which is a engine bay can.
must have deleted the tab.

lots of small little detail changes on these cars to trip things up hey. smile.gif beerchug.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 07:31 PM) *

lots of small little detail changes on these cars to trip things up hey. smile.gif beerchug.gif

I could probably either get a tab from a junk tank, or try and make a hook for it, once I come up with the correct strap.

Can see the hook in this ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113974121688?epid=...NoAAOSwvGtd0cfH
wonkipop
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 8 2021, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 07:31 PM) *

I could probably either get a tab from a junk tank, or try and make a hook for it, once I come up with the correct strap.

Can see the hook in this ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113974121688?epid=...NoAAOSwvGtd0cfH

looks like it has the hook, down the far end.
the other tab closer to the middle is for the expansion tank.
says its a 72 tank so it should be right.

its also got that bracket on the back for mounting the can.
that bracket is absent on my later 74 tank.
wonkipop
its interesting because your gas tank has the back bracket there to bolt the can to.
but its missing the little tab on the seam.
might have broken off at some stage.

mine does not have that back bracket.
which makes sense - why would you bother anymore.

EDIT
if you go here, page 2 of our thread looking at 1.8s.
randy had the earliest of the 1.8s amongst us.
a plastic can in the frunk.
i reckon they were using up gas tanks they had?
randy says his car is vey original.
it looks like very original in photos.
i think only a very few very early 1.8s in nov 73 would have got this frunk can.
maybe you can see enough in this photo.
or someone can photograph the detail for you off a frunk car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...56961&st=20

wonkipop
looks like its a hook more or less.

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 7 2021, 09:25 PM) *

There were 3 different straps/mounting positions used across production years. The strap you show in your picture hangs the plastic canister from a small stud on the rear firewall in the engine bay. This strap was only used on a portion of model year 74 cars. Early 74 cars mounted the canister on the gas tank and in 75 they moved the canister again using yet another style of bracket to mount the canister to the battery hold down bolt.

The plastic canister will work on the front tank however you will need the appropriate strap to mount it and only IF you have the early gas tank. Later gas tanks and some of the repos do not have the provisions to mount the canister to them.

An early canister mounting strap should be pretty easy to come by as there were a TON of them produced, I think I have a few spares myself. Please dont trash that 74 strap though as they seem to be the hardest to come by, at least it was when I had to find one for my Bumblebee.

JamesM
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 07:03 PM) *

and 74 is engine bay.

---

i can't know this for sure, but i think its likely that all 74 1.8s had the engine bay can.
given dates.

I believe the vin number ranges for the front/rear canister change over in 74 are known (I swear I found them somewhere last time I had to look into this.)

I can confirm both exist though as I have had 2 74 2.0 cars, one that had the front mounted canister and and LE that has the rear mounted canister.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 9 2021, 12:01 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 07:03 PM) *

and 74 is engine bay.

---

given dates.

I believe the vin number ranges for the front/rear canister change over in 74 are known (I swear I found them somewhere last time I had to look into this.)

I can confirm both exist though as I have had 2 74 2.0 cars, one that had the front mounted canister and and LE that has the rear mounted canister.

yes. thats pretty interesting stuff JamesM.

if you re-find that vin number change over please post it up.
i had a bit of a search but i couldn't get it to come up.
i know they were having a bit of a go at nailing it down for the last edition of the restorer's guide. but i couldn't find out if they succeeded. i don't have a latest ed of that, just my old and by now very obsolete edition 1.

as to the plumbing of the can in the engine bay - there is another argument. smile.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 8 2021, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 7 2021, 09:25 PM) *

There were 3 different straps/mounting positions used across production years. The strap you show in your picture hangs the plastic canister from a small stud on the rear firewall in the engine bay. This strap was only used on a portion of model year 74 cars. Early 74 cars mounted the canister on the gas tank and in 75 they moved the canister again using yet another style of bracket to mount the canister to the battery hold down bolt.

The plastic canister will work on the front tank however you will need the appropriate strap to mount it and only IF you have the early gas tank. Later gas tanks and some of the repos do not have the provisions to mount the canister to them.

An early canister mounting strap should be pretty easy to come by as there were a TON of them produced, I think I have a few spares myself. Please dont trash that 74 strap though as they seem to be the hardest to come by, at least it was when I had to find one for my Bumblebee.

yes, are you listening partwerks.
don't trash the strap.
the reason they are a little hard to find is thats the shortest run of cans in that particular position. the best position. smile.gif beerchug.gif

its fascinating the way they kept moving that can closer and closer to the fan bleed port?
what was happening there. first the frunk.

i dug up some stuff recently that makes me think the EPA was taking a real close look at VW in mid 73. they got charged with the first emission cheat. it got hushed up at the time and settled real quick behind the scenes. but one particular VW model for 74 got delayed. can't find out which one. but i've got a fair idea. there is a fair chance the EPA started taking a real close look at VW model range for 74. all aspects thereof?
there is always a reason they suddenly change something they have been doing for 3-4 years and then start fidgeting with it.
JamesM
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 11:10 PM) *

i know they were having a bit of a go at nailing it down for the last edition of the restorer's guide. but i couldn't find out if they succeeded. i don't have a latest ed of that, just my old and by now very obsolete edition 1.

as to the plumbing of the can in the engine bay - there is another argument. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=346667

Doesn't have the exact VIN but looks like we have it nailed down as 2/74 sometime prior to the LE cars as when the production change over for the 2.0s occurred. George seems to agree that all the 74 1.8s had the rear canister.

The newer version of the PET online shows a VIN for the cutover but its a 73 VIN (4732924903) which we know that isnt correct, this may have been the VIN number I recall seeing.
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

What @partwerks really should be looking at is what hoses are on his chassis as properly utilizing a front mounted charcoal canister is going to suck if his chassis isnt already cut for the larger vacuum hoses used on the earlier cars.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 9 2021, 12:48 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 11:10 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=346667

Doesn't have the exact VIN but looks like we have it nailed down as 2/74 sometime prior to the LE cars as when the production change over for the 2.0s occurred. George seems to agree that all the 74 1.8s had the rear canister.

The newer version of the PET online shows a VIN for the cutover but its a 73 VIN (4732924903) which we know that isnt correct, this may have been the VIN number I recall seeing.
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

What @partwerks really should be looking at is what hoses are on his chassis as properly utilizing a front mounted charcoal canister is going to suck if his chassis isnt already cut for the larger vacuum hoses used on the earlier cars.

ah no.
its way earlier than that.

we have 74 1.8s that are in nov 73, two weeks apart.
one had the frunk can.
one has the engine bay can.
and the engine bay can is 100% verifiable.
belongs to StarBear, he has had it since brand spanking new.
and the frunk can has almost similar status.

i have late jan car.
i'm the second owner since 89 and i bought a 35K one owner car back then.
unmolested.
i have never fu$ked with anything. engine bay can.

and we have a few more nov and dec cars.

dr 914 is close to right. but not 100%. there is at least one exception.
dr 914 was also close to right about another thing to do with distributor hook ups.
but again not 100%.
its more complicated. (thanks to a curved ball from mr. bowlsby we are still trying to get 100% to the bottom of).

its got something to do with the start up of making the 1.8 cars.
which i am pretty sure happens in nov 73.

i have always been interested in the 1.8s because i have one.
and the whole thing about L jet.
but only lately been a little more curious about it.

i'm not sure anyone has properly gotten to the bottom of what was happening in the second half of 1973 yet.

its got nothing to do with LEs.
or 2.0 litre cars.
its to do with the everyman base cars that no one really has ever been that much interested in. which i just can't really understand.
L jet is the birth of modern fuel injection. but ............. confused24.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 11:34 PM) *

its fascinating the way they kept moving that can closer and closer to the fan bleed port?

i dug up some stuff recently that makes me think the EPA was taking a real close look at VW in mid 73. they got charged with the first emission cheat. it got hushed up at the time and settled real quick behind the scenes. but one particular VW model for 74 got delayed. can't find out which one. but i've got a fair idea. there is a fair chance the EPA started taking a real close look at VW model range for 74. all aspects thereof?
there is always a reason they suddenly change something they have been doing for 3-4 years and then start fidgeting with it.

My guess is it also may have been related to the production cost cutting that started occurring with the 74 cars as well. Moving the charcoal canister back to the engine bay reduced the materials used (and complexity) to run the 2 larger vacuum lines from the engine bay to the frunk along the driver side long. Coincidently (or possibly not) the changeover seems to align pretty close to when they transitioned from the glass faced gauges to the cheaper plastic face gauges.

More interesting stuff, the early strap was a 914 specific part number while the 74 strap was a repurposed VW part number. While you would think that would make it easier to source, in the VW application it was welded to the chassis (found this out the hard way in my attempts to source one). Guessing it was a quick fix for 74 using what they could easily get their hands on while they developed the 75 part.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 9 2021, 01:01 AM) *

My guess is it also may have been related to the production cost cutting that started occurring with the 74 cars as well. Moving the charcoal canister back to the engine bay reduced the materials used (and complexity) to run the 2 larger vacuum lines from the engine bay to the frunk along the driver side long. Coincidently (or possibly not) the changeover seems to align pretty close to when they transitioned from the glass faced gauges to the cheaper plastic face gauges.

yes, its more economical for sure.

but there is one more thing to it.
they alter the plumbing.
there is a whole thread over in originality section about this.
i had to take on mr. bowlsby.

i'm pretty sure i might/could be right. but i'm not being opinionated. because you could always be wrong.
i just dug up some stuff.

they messed with the can for a number of reasons?
including basically realising that the VW set up with the can closer to the engine was cheaper and it worked. whereas earlier 914s follow the 911 layout. which was expensive and didn't work?

for some reason both 911s and 914s had the can moved to the rear of the car in 73 for the 74 model year. but VW altered nothing on the rest of their range.

and the EPA had one particular 74 VW model under the microscope.

the can and what VW were "caught" out about were two separate things?, but i think once you get caught the "cops" start going through you. out come the drug dogs to sniff your car etc. you know the scenario. "get out of the car - stand over there". its a right, lets have a good look at this thing?

i know this much it involved thermo switches for cold starts. VW declared these switches in 73 for 74 models. the EPA ruled them a cheat. VW admitted to their use on 73 models. i think it was for type 3s with injection. EPA ruled unacceptable for 74.
.....but they weren't making type 3s for 74. they only had 412s and 914s running L jet.
so i think L jet got pinged early on in approval process. its a guess. or they might have picked up on 74MY 2.0s with Djet as per type 3s. except we know they were knocking out 2.0 L from the start of MY74. they didn't seem to have a hiccup/

the clue is that L jet gets delayed. its a late start. nov 73.
maybe technical difficulties with L jet made it late for other reasons?

i dunno know. but i think if someone had the time and the access to VW museum archives they could probably find out. all you can really find is a trace of it in other things like the EPA or CARB.

JamesM
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 11:58 PM) *

ah no.

one had the frunk can.

i have late jan car.
unmolested.

dr 914 was also close to right about another thing to do with distributor hook ups.
but again not 100%.
its more complicated. (thanks to a curved ball from mr. bowlsby we are still trying to get 100% to the bottom of).

i'm not sure anyone has properly gotten to the bottom of what was happening in the second half of 1973 yet.

or 2.0 litre cars.
its to do with the everyman base cars that no one really has ever been that much interested in. which i just can't really understand.

Interesting.

What I am saying though is that it looks like the cutover on the canister placement may have been different on the 2.0 cars than the 1.8 cars but that is mainly based on Maltese Falcon's claim of his 2/74 production car with the front canister. No VIN provided though and even then, may have been an anomaly. confused24.gif

Mine was one of the earlier 74 cars (4742901909) and for sure a 73 production date.

In my 20+ years of playing with 914s I have come across far fewer 1.8 cars (especially 74 1.8s) than anything else, and even then when i have they have been completely trashed/parts cars. Always love seeing clean ones.
wonkipop
well

thats even more interesting. about the maltese falcon car.

whatever was going on - its a bit of a mess.

which is always the point of history.

and i'm not talking about this from the point of view of a concourse queen or you know this date this happens and thats a fake - stuff. i have run into those people. that never explains why something was the way it was. its just something about artefacts and value - almost art world BS.

i am just interested from the point of view of industrial archeology. technical. engineering.

and i love L jets. beerchug.gif

and mine is completely loved. i knew what i was getting hold of back in 89 and i listened to nobody else who told me it was a lesser thing. i was a geek. and i still have it and i have left it alone. mind you its gonna start failing soon. has to. its damn near half a century old.
JamesM
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 9 2021, 01:02 AM) *

well

and i'm not talking about this from the point of view of a concourse queen or you know this date this happens and thats a fake - stuff. i have run into those people. that never explains why something was the way it was. its just something about artefacts and value - almost art world BS.

i am just interested from the point of view of industrial archeology. technical. engineering.

and mine is completely loved. i knew what i was getting hold of back in 89 and i listened to nobody else who told me it was a lesser thing. i was a geek. and i still have it and i have left it alone. mind you its gonna start failing soon. has to. its damn near half a century old.

I am in the same boat about just finding it all interesting from a technical/engineering/historical standpoint. I am way more familiar with the changes to d-jet cars and more specifically the 2.0s over the production life but some of the things you are saying about the 1.8/l-jet cars has me thinking about the multitude of changes they made to the 2.0s configuration between 73-75. Just about every component in the system incrementally changed over that 3 year period. Of particular curiosity to me now are the reasons behind the crankcase venting changes which completely altered the plumbing of the 2.0s between 74-75. L-jet cars couldnt have used the same crank case venting configuration as the 74 d-jet cars as it would have messed with the air metering so that change for the 1.8s makes sense, but then a year later in 75 they made the same change to the 2.0s which required they produce a totally different plenum and airbox among other things. Not seeing why they would have done that unless they were forced to for some reason. confused24.gif

Anyways, thats probably going way off topic for this thread though.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 9 2021, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 9 2021, 01:02 AM) *

well

I am in the same boat about just finding it all interesting from a technical/engineering/historical standpoint. I am way more familiar with the changes to d-jet cars and more specifically the 2.0s over the production life but some of the things you are saying about the 1.8/l-jet cars has me thinking about the multitude of changes they made to the 2.0s configuration between 73-75. Just about every component in the system incrementally changed over that 3 year period. Of particular curiosity to me now are the reasons behind the crankcase venting changes which completely altered the plumbing of the 2.0s between 74-75. L-jet cars couldnt have used the same crank case venting configuration as the 74 d-jet cars as it would have messed with the air metering so that change for the 1.8s makes sense, but then a year later in 75 they made the same change to the 2.0s which required they produce a totally different plenum and airbox among other things. Not seeing why they would have done that unless they were forced to for some reason. confused24.gif

Anyways, thats probably going way off topic for this thread though.

yes and no.
partwerk's problem is solved.
he needs to get a hook on his petrol tank.
he knows what he wants, a can in the frunk.

and if you don't freewheel in these threads, well you will never start to get to the bottom of it.

and there is some stuff going down from 74 on.
for sure.
and its all technical, its not aesthetic.
and its still a bit of a mystery.

germans are great, they try to impose ordnung on chaos.
and if the the EPA and CARB were not the forces of chaos i don't know what else was.

we can't even go into it here, but even the emission stickers on 1.8 914s are BS.
there was something going down.
its sort of esoteric but it isn't either.
its how they coped with it.
which does not necessarily conform to rational explanation.
ie evolution. "progress towards perfection". blah blah.
standard explanations of porsche worship.
i think it was kind of chaotic? for a couple of years there.

when you look back at some accounts of those particular years you wonder how porsche survived?
wonkipop
i'm digesting this.

its very interesting information about changes to crankcase venting for 2.0s.

i have to really think about this because it took me a bit to process what they were up to with distributor vacuum hook ups on 1.8s from 74 to 75.

.......how they coped with the pollution regs.

i should try and know more about d-jet.
i confess though i know narthing.

all i have is my own stoopid L jet which i have only just begun to understand properly sitting down here in bum fu$l australia just north of antarctica, 50 years after it all happened.

i do know this much, the tactic with L jet was to run it progressively more retarded.
first at idle.
and then at cruise.
which you could do if you were measuring air intake.

and i'm not sure how you could do that with d-jet.
but i note that d-jet cars in 75 or 76 had to have have an air pump.
L jet did not. they had EGR but no need for an air pump.
AvalonFal
My '74 2.0L (built 10/73) has the plastic can in the front trunk.
friethmiller
If this helps... my parts car was a '74 2.0L with a front canister and a vin of 4742901475. My restored '74 1.8L had a engine bay canister with a vin of 4742920229.
wonkipop
the switch from frunk to engine bay can is between these cars.

CAN IN FRUNK.

VIN 4742908482
11/73
K # 4629626

VIN 4742907716
11/73
K # 4629552

build commencement date 12th Nov 1973

CAN IN ENGINE BAY.

VIN 4742909760
11/73
K# 4839578

build commencement date 28th Nov 1973.

Above cars all 1,8 L cars.

in link to thread on previous page by JamesM, dr. 914 was after the date for 2.0L models getting the can in engine bay. i'm guessing dr. 914 knows about the above dates for 1.8L? or its already in latest ed of b johnsons book (restorers guide)? i don't have the latest book.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 9 2021, 01:45 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 11:58 PM) *

ah no.

one had the frunk can.

i have late jan car.
unmolested.

but again not 100%.

or 2.0 litre cars.

Interesting.

What I am saying though is that it looks like the cutover on the canister placement may have been different on the 2.0 cars than the 1.8 cars but that is mainly based on Maltese Falcon's claim of his 2/74 production car with the front canister. No VIN provided though and even then, may have been an anomaly. confused24.gif

Mine was one of the earlier 74 cars (4742901909) and for sure a 73 production date.

In my 20+ years of playing with 914s I have come across far fewer 1.8 cars (especially 74 1.8s) than anything else, and even then when i have they have been completely trashed/parts cars. Always love seeing clean ones.

yes that is interesting about the maltese falcon car of feb 74.

i can't be 100% sure about this, but it looks like from nov 73 to end of jan 74 they might have just been making 1.8s. i've had a look at the members vin list for 74MY.
it looks like only 2.0L cars get produced from start of production in aug.sept 73 to start of nov 73. then produced again from feb 74 on? i would need to scour through the jan VIN numbers more closely. i think vw catch up on base model (1.8) production from nov 73 to jan 74.

i'll have a look for the maltese falcon's car in the Vin listing on the site here.
k# and Vin number might have some clues.

the switch to when the can changes in 2.0L cars maybe has something to do with that stretch of 3 months where it looks like they just make 1,8s. might have been the info dr. 914 was looking for to pin down.

i'm sure the blokes that have been around the cars for years must have worked out the dates for production line mix of 74 MY cars?

wonkipop
@JamesM

found another clue in that linked thread.

Click to view attachment

member with VIN 4742909104 (converted to a 3.2L)
likely a 1.8 used for conversion? frunk can.

the VIN is 656 cars before StarBear's car.
SB's car is 28 nov 73 build inception date. engine bay can.

they were building just over 100 cars per day in nov based on two 1.8s i have info on with a same day build. vin -09104 therefor about 5-6 production days before SB.

the can goes into the engine bay sometime between 20 Nov and 28 Nov 73.

-----

from Vin data compiled here, the first 1.8s pop up around Vin 07184 & 07251.
07251 has K # 4439504 = wed 30th Oct 73. the earlier car is 67 cars before - makes it probably tuesday 29 oct 73.

might have started making 1.8s on a monday. who knows. but its around about 28 oct 73 that 1.8 production begins?

there was maybe around about 4 weeks of production of 1.8s with the can in the frunk.

partwerks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 09:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Does the canister just lay down flat on the tank?
wonkipop
photos of 1.8s with plastic frunk can.

@RRietman - randy has one - he could say for sure.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RRietman
QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 8 2021, 11:01 PM) *

More interesting stuff, the early strap was a 914 specific part number while the 74 strap was a repurposed VW part number. While you would think that would make it easier to source, in the VW application it was welded to the chassis (found this out the hard way in my attempts to source one). Guessing it was a quick fix for 74 using what they could easily get their hands on while they developed the 75 part.

here are some pics for partwerks. my 74 1.8 build date 11/73
thanks
RandyClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 9 2021, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 8 2021, 09:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Does the canister just lay down flat on the tank?

Yes ,, I used some heavy duty velcro to hold mine in place.. not a concour car .. and I didnt want to weld on my new tank..
bdstone914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 7 2021, 10:25 PM) *

@partwerks

74 is a split year on location on the charcoal canisters. If you have the vapor lines running along the drivers side long you can mount the canister on the tank. If not you need to mount it in the engine bay. If you have the late 74 it will have a 4 mm clear line that runs through the tunnel. It takes the gas vapor from the expansion tank and runs it into the canister in tbe engine bay.
partwerks
QUOTE(RRietman @ Dec 12 2021, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Dec 8 2021, 11:01 PM) *

here are some pics for partwerks. my 74 1.8 build date 11/73
thanks
RandyClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

How much of a hook is it? Picture is too fuzzy to make out.
I'll probably just make a hook, but nice to get a idea ahead of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.