Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most disliked color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jkb081
Just an observation. It seems to me that the bright lime green color is the most disliked color for the 914. My first Teener was originally that color green. The previous owner repainted it black. My recent purchase, a 73 was also that same color green. That previous owner repainted it yellow, then painted it again, this time red. A lot of the cars I see on YouTube also were originally green, then repainted a different color. My car is rattle can red, with one yellow door, and a gray front trunk hood. I am trying to decide if I want to bring it back to the original color (green) or go with something else. I like black because it looks aggressive, but it’s too common. Don’t really care for red. I’m really liking school bus yellow or orange. Unfortunately also very common. Maybe I’ll stick with the original green. Lol!!
jim_hoyland
Which color code is that lime green ?
I’ve noticed some original colors didn’t age well; at least to my eyes. They looked good new, but didn’t last. Anyone else notice this
jkb081
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 13 2021, 08:06 PM) *

I’ve noticed some original colors didn’t age well; at least to my eyes. They looked good new, but didn’t last. Anyone else notice this

Can’t tell. The metal tag mounted in the door pillar is scratched and looks like someone used a metal bristle brush to scrub it. Totally ruined it.
mepstein
Almost all Porsche's were repainted red in the 80's. sad.gif
JmuRiz
Say whaaaaaat?
I love my ravenna green and other loud period colors.

Life’s too boring to drive a black/silver/white/red car tongue.gif

When I save up, my 356 is going back to the original Bali Blue!
FRUNKenstein
@iankarr - your thoughts?

Personally, my kingdom for a Ravenna Green teener.

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Dec 13 2021, 05:33 PM) *

@iankaar - your thoughts?

Click to view attachment

+1 love green!
jkb081
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Dec 13 2021, 08:33 PM) *

Now that looks HOT!!!!! Love it!

Click to view attachment

bzettner
Click to view attachment GREAT stock color!

Green is my favorite color! If I was going to build my dream 914, it'd be Viper Green or Signal Green! aktion035.gif
Craigers17
Only 3 greens in 1973...so your car is either Zambezi, Ravenna, or Delphi. All are great colors in my opinion.... Delphi being one of my favorites.
Montreal914
Ravenna Green, definitely one of the top 914 color in my opinion! wub.gif
But taste is a personal thing... smile.gif
Van B
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2021, 08:19 PM) *

I know you’re making a half joke, but seriously, mid 80’s to mid 2000’s were an awful phase for car colors. Somehow all the least used colors from the crayon box were the only colors you could buy on a car.
My theory is a reduction of cocaine in the marketing department led to a long era of boring people making boring cars.

I get thrilled to see these bright green Cameros and corvettes. I think, “Finally! Fun cars look fun again!”
mepstein
QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 13 2021, 09:11 PM) *

I know you’re making a half joke, but seriously, mid 80’s to mid 2000’s were an awful phase for car colors. Somehow all the least used colors from the crayon box were the only colors you could buy on a car.
My theory is a reduction of cocaine in the marketing department led to a long era of boring people making boring cars.

I get thrilled to see these bright green Cameros and corvettes. I think, “Finally! Fun cars look fun again!”

New cars are available in many shades of .....white, black or silver.
jkb081
QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 13 2021, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Dec 13 2021, 05:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

+1 love green!

I’m pretty sure my car was this color green originally. (Car in picture) it came with those same wheels except someone painted the recessed part light blue.
BillJ
Totally agree that Ravenna rocks but it is quite common to see it painted over. I would love to own one in that shade someday.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2021, 07:19 PM) *

Guilty. Summer of '81, original color was yellow, and it was painted a GM red. To be fair though, the original paint wasn't pristine and when I was a teenager, well, all cars needed to be red to be cool. I will try to make amends for my younger sins, just have to get started on it.

Dan
Jamie
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 13 2021, 06:00 PM) *

Only 3 greens in 1973...so your car is either Zambezi, Ravenna, or Delphi. All are great colors in my opinion.... Delphi being one of my favorites.

I've grown to love my Delphi Green, although Mom called it "urine yellow" when Dad showed up with a car without telling her he was buying it! :beer1:BTW, Delphi Green L99A in 1973 was a $206 optional custom color, only offered in 73 and 74.
Robarabian
Don't forget Irish Green.... My 72 six.Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 13 2021, 06:06 PM) *

My prediction is that 30 years from now people will be laughing at all the gray-tinge ("slate") colors that are the current fad.
Jett
QUOTE(Jamie @ Dec 13 2021, 06:45 PM) *

I've grown to love my Delphi Green, although Mom called it "urine yellow" when Dad showed up with a car without telling her he was buying it! :beer1:BTW, Delphi Green L99A in 1973 was a $206 optional custom color, only offered in 73 and 74.

Delphi is my favorite, but love all 73 Green.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Dec 13 2021, 07:54 PM) *

Just an observation. It seems to me that the bright lime green color is the most disliked color for the 914. My first Teener was originally that color green. The previous owner repainted it black. My recent purchase, a 73 was also that same color green. That previous owner repainted it yellow, then painted it again, this time red. A lot of the cars I see on YouTube also were originally green, then repainted a different color. My car is rattle can red, with one yellow door, and a gray front trunk hood. I am trying to decide if I want to bring it back to the original color (green) or go with something else. I like black because it looks aggressive, but it’s too common. Don’t really care for red. I’m really liking school bus yellow or orange. Unfortunately also very common. Maybe I’ll stick with the original green. Lol!!

Au contraire mon ami.
Those bright greens are the most coveted.
Go Zembezi or Ravenna
GBX0073
Click to view attachment

Zambezi
JeffBowlsby
All the standard factory colors look great on a 914. The one color that most dislike is Sepia Brown, but even it has some admirers.
jkb081
QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 13 2021, 10:36 PM) *

That car looks beautiful!!
Chris H.

That is SO TRUE.
iankarr
Back in the day a lot of ravenna green 914s were painted over, but today...an original RG L65K car fetches premium pricing.
wonkipop
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 13 2021, 11:06 PM) *

Back in the day a lot of ravenna green 914s were painted over, but today...an original RG L65K car fetches premium pricing.

there is a lot of theory stuff in circles i used to mix in but can't be f#cked mixing with anymore - but the sound thinking in those circles says some stuff is in its zeitgeist. fancy word i know and sorry for using it.

but stuff that is right in its zeitgeist is the the stuff that suffers most from the change in taste that comes at the end of that period.

that green - ravenna green is a hammer hit right on the nail when it comes to zeitgeist.
same as a brown interior.

but also all the other colors are fairly zeitgeist too. its just rg is so that time.

why it became hated.
but now it has so much lurve.
its the IT MAN color as they say in other circles.

beerchug.gif

(am also a sucker for saturn yellow metallic or as its known in USA delphi metallic - oh yeah).
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 13 2021, 09:23 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 13 2021, 06:06 PM) *

My prediction is that 30 years from now people will be laughing at all the gray-tinge ("slate") colors that are the current fad.

either that or they will be crying. beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Dec 13 2021, 09:43 PM) *

Guilty. Summer of '81, original color was yellow, and it was painted a GM red. To be fair though, the original paint wasn't pristine and when I was a teenager, well, all cars needed to be red to be cool. I will try to make amends for my younger sins, just have to get started on it.

Dan

Would that be a long list??
sb914
I like them all. Just like skittles.Click to view attachment
Bullethead
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 13 2021, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Dec 13 2021, 07:54 PM) *

Au contraire mon ami.
Those bright greens are the most coveted.
Go Zembezi or Ravenna

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Although the color palette industry wide was brighter and more varied, Porsche offered more striking variety than any other manufacturer. Revenna is da bomb, and the number of other available greens was amazing.
jrmdir
I bought this recently - not for the color - perhaps thinking that if I ever do a full resto I could change it. But it's grown on me - and I understand Marathon Blue has a following.

Which category: liked or unliked - what say you?

Click to view attachment
flipb
It surprises me how close Ravenna Green looks like Saturn/Chrome Yellow (L13M) in certain lighting.

I love the unapologetically 1970's colors like Tangerine, yellows and greens. Honestly my least favorite is probably Black or Copper but I wouldn't throw one out of the driveway... shades.gif
roblav1
QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 13 2021, 09:11 PM) *

I agree with your thinking, but I think it's opposite. Cocaine was real big in the 80's, when that box of crayons narrowed to just a few colors. LSD, mushrooms, etc were big in the late 60's and 70's when all the cool colors came out. Today is blah blah with the colors, kinda like Charlie Brown not really listening.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 14 2021, 06:02 AM) *

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Dec 13 2021, 09:43 PM) *

Dan

Would that be a long list??

Long list of cars painted red in the 80's : very likely.
Things to do to get our 914 back to yellow and derivable : very very many.
Other sins from my youth to amend : Tried to improve on a few, but there's plenty more that need work.

Dan
Jamie
QUOTE(sb914 @ Dec 14 2021, 05:53 AM) *

I like them all. Just like skittles.Click to view attachment

This photo is "da bomb!" Drones are such a great addition to the photographer's tool box, would have loved to play with them if I was still a working photographer, now long retired.
gandalf_025
My car is Tangerine..
When I had it painted in the
late 70’s I asked the Body Shop
to tone it down a little..
Had it stripped and painted a few years
ago and Went back to Tangerine.
914_7T3
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Dec 14 2021, 06:04 AM) *

I bought this recently - not for the color - perhaps thinking that if I ever do a full resto I could change it. But it's grown on me - and I understand Marathon Blue has a following.

Which category: liked or unliked - what say you?

Click to view attachment

I like them both! shades.gif

@iankarr

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mrholland2
Car colors that should be eliminated worldwide: White, Grey, Silver, Black, and sometimes Gold.

The sameness of pigmented mind control!!

tongue.gif
GBX0073
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 14 2021, 11:49 AM) *

Car colors that should be eliminated worldwide: White, Grey, Silver, Black, and sometimes Gold.

tongue.gif

Funny about the Red comment switched my car in High school to an Earl Schieb Red
even stepped-up adding Primer

On the Subject of Grey I went from a Loud and Barky Super Charged Mini Cooper to a Mustang
I am over 50 and thought I should Drive a more Mature looking Mustang so I picked Magnetic Grey, I think it works perfect for me .Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
Like I’ve said before..
Tangerine is very bright…
On a bigger car, borderline obnoxious.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Whats not to love about Black or White? confused24.gif Opinions are subjective.

mrholland2
QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Dec 14 2021, 10:29 AM) *

tongue.gif

Funny about the Red comment switched my car in High school to an Earl Schieb Red

On the Subject of Grey I went from a Loud and Barky Super Charged Mini Cooper to a Mustang
I am over 50 and thought I should Drive a more Mature looking Mustang so I picked Magnetic Grey, I think it works perfect for me .Click to view attachment

I'm not really that enthusiastic about elimination of those colors, but come on. . look at any parking lot and it's a sea of bland. Cars today have little enough personality and 95% of them are White, Grey (including that awful primer color), Silver, and Black. Car lots should look like Skittles!!!
mrholland2
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 14 2021, 10:53 AM) *

Like I’ve said before..
Tangerine is very bright…
On a bigger car, borderline obnoxious.

Click to view attachment

Would look AWESOME on a Tahoe!!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 13 2021, 08:45 PM) *

That is SO TRUE.

They don't call it Resale Red for no reason.
Jett
QUOTE(jkb081 @ Dec 13 2021, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 13 2021, 10:36 PM) *

That car looks beautiful!!

smile.gif thanks!
KELTY360
In 1973 I bought a Sunflower Yellow 914 and one of it's nicknames was the Neon Daffodil for it's ability to attract bugs after a wash job. Ravenna Green was equally attractive. As an old fart the memory dims, but not the image of the Porsche Audi dealer where I bought the car and the florescent colors under night lighting. I like 914s in all colors, even light ivory, but my favorites are the brightest ones, especially greens, yellows and oranges.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 14 2021, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Dec 14 2021, 10:29 AM) *

tongue.gif

I'm not really that enthusiastic about elimination of those colors, but come on. . look at any parking lot and it's a sea of bland. Cars today have little enough personality and 95% of them are White, Grey (including that awful primer color), Silver, and Black. Car lots should look like Skittles!!!

You forgot the gold that actually looks calf $hit yellow.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Dec 14 2021, 12:49 PM) *

tongue.gif

My 914 is in real nice condition but it's a colour change from white to close to tangerine done a couple PO's ago in the 80's. I'm not a fan of white 914's, I like the jelly bean colours, so I doubt I'll returning it to original, besides it a /6 conversion.

I dinged my rear fender just before the end of the season and it has a bunch more blemishes, so I either have to do a full repaint or a bit of bodywork and wrap the 914. I have enough Vvivid matte orange wrap to do the car. It's a close match for my door jams.

What about plastering the car with racing stickers and then wrapping over it in the matte orange? I saw on YT a guy who did this on a blue 911 and the outline effect of the stickers under the wrap was so cool.
I also already have a bunch of vinyl white circles, numbers, and about half of the sponsor type stickers.

Of course one day I'll do a proper repaint, but if wrapping it puts it off for 3-5 years I'd be happy.

TJB/914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 14 2021, 04:01 PM) *

In 1973 I bought a Sunflower Yellow 914 and one of it's nicknames was the Neon Daffodil for it's ability to attract bugs after a wash job. Ravenna Green was equally attractive. As an old fart the memory dims, but not the image of the Porsche Audi dealer where I bought the car and the florescent colors under night lighting. I like 914s in all colors, even light ivory, but my favorites are the brightest ones, especially greens, yellows and oranges.

I like my "Chrome Yellow" or also called "Saturn Yellow" wub.gif
It has a green tint base showing at different times of the day & photo's are never consistent. Here is a computer adjusted photo showing green.
Green is one of my favorites pray.gif
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.