Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size Webers are these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Before I put them up for sale I need to know what size they are. Pairs I've seen in the past had the size stamped at the base or on the body. This one has "40 44 IDA" at the top. Which is it? Is there another place to look?

BTW...anyone know who Florida VW was?

Thank you

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

billh1963
I think I answered my own question...last picture.... the carb on the left looks like it shows a 40 on the body above the pump?
914Mels
The 40 0r 44 refers to the barrel size if you can measure that.
Root_Werks
Air cleaner base says 40/44 meaning it'll fit either. Carbs look like 40's to me.

Measure them, easy enough.
roblav1
Those are ancient! Most sold back then were 44 IDFs. I'd have to check my book, but I don't think Weber made double 40 or 44 IDAs. Given the air cleaner base, I'd say 40 IDF.
infraredcalvin
Almost looks like the gaskets are 40s, but the barrels themselves look larger (shadow below the gasket).
zig-n-zag
An old Hot VW mag shows a Florida VW & Porsche from Hialeah, Fla.
Mark Henry
They're IDF.
There is two barrel IDA's but they are the almost exact same as a 911 IDA just one barrel short. They also only came in 48mm (original weber) size although guys would bore them to 52mm and there were some aftermarket 2 barrel IDA carbs made.

Racers choice for NA type one drag racing.
rfinegan
Looking the short boost Venturi, I would say you have 40 IDF with early Italian fuel pump push rods too
billh1963
Are parts still available for these? Sounds like more modern ones are a different configuration. I'd like to rebuild them. Not sure where you would go to source 'ancient' parts....
billh1963
QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ Dec 20 2021, 08:04 PM) *

An old Hot VW mag shows a Florida VW & Porsche from Hialeah, Fla.

I did a google search and didn't see anything. Figured it was defunct aftermarket business.
Mark Henry
Partsklassic has a lot of parts for IDF, a bit spendy, but fast service and all the little parts are well labeled in conjoined baggies.

https://www.partsklassik.com/csearch.aspx?C...rch=weber%20idf

There's also a chap on ebay from Italy that has a good selection.
billh1963
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 21 2021, 10:29 AM) *

Partsklassic has a lot of parts for IDF, a bit spendy, but fast service and all the little parts are well labeled in conjoined baggies.

Thank you!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 21 2021, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 21 2021, 10:29 AM) *

Thank you!

IIRC aircooled.net also stocks quite a few IDF parts.
FJ1200
I bought master rebuild kits for my Italian 40 IDF's from Pierce Manifolds. The parts were original OEM and the kit was VERY complete.

Dan
KSCarrera
Back in the 1980s when Weber IDFs first hit the VW scene, various companies (notably Claudes Buggies – today known as CB Performance) marketed these as '40IDAs' in kits for the air-cooled VW motor. The reason for this was that 48IDAs were well known in the VW performance world for use on hot street and drag race Bugs, but nobody had heard of IDFs. Selling them as 'mini IDAs' was purely a marketing gimmick.

Parts are easy to come by - at least over here in Europe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.