Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Pic from 1973
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
I'm a fan for anything vintage L.A. especially if there's a 914 in the pic. Check out that dealer D.O.T. stance! This is from a vintage online media site; westbound on the Sunset Strip in front of Imperial Gardens restaurant. Today this is the Pink Taco restaurant, Hotel Marmont is just out of frame. The large dia pole is the support for the famous Marlboro Man billboard; today the iPhone billboard.
I was still cruising in the '69SS Camaro , and didn't get that special 914 drive experience until 1974 driving.gif
There were Lots of 914s around here in the 70's and lots of dealers too, all within 20 miles of this pic;
DTLA P+A (Porsche + Audi), Max Dial, Bob Smith, Vasek Polak, Bozzani, Rusnak, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Gabriel +Olsen, Steve Taub.
Click to view attachment
bkrantz
Cool. But maybe the vehicle stance is due to the massive torque about to induce a wheelie.
Jett
Love the picture!
mgp4591
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 22 2021, 08:35 PM) *

Cool. But maybe the vehicle stance is due to the massive torque about to induce a wheelie.

HA! That's a good one! That's the very reason I never like them at first. My 65 GTO had a much better stance so the funny furrin' cars didn't really appeal to me until I made the decision to build a real sports car instead of an Earth turning torque monster that I'd become accustomed to.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 09:07 PM) *

I'm a fan for anything vintage L.A. especially if there's a 914 in the pic. Check out that dealer D.O.T. stance! This is from a vintage online media site; westbound on the Sunset Strip in front of Imperial Gardens restaurant. Today this is the Pink Taco restaurant, Hotel Marmont is just out of frame. The large dia pole is the support for the famous Marlboro Man billboard; today the iPhone billboard.
I was still cruising in the '69SS Camaro , and didn't get that special 914 drive experience until 1974 driving.gif
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
This is great. I always wonder when looking at shots like this...where are those people today and where is that car?
Root_Werks
I love old photos like this, thanks for sharing!
burton73
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 07:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi Marty my West Side LA bud,

I remembering going to the Imperial Gardens Restaurant for dinner and they sat us at a table next to Liza Minnelli and Roger Moore around 1976

Song by Steely Dan
Drive west on Sunset
To the sea, Turn that jungle music down,
Just until we're out of town, This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion, Close your eyes and you'll be there,
It's everything they say The end of a perfect day….
Distant lights from across the bay

Bob B
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 23 2021, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 07:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi Marty my West Side LA bud,

I remembering going to the Imperial Gardens Restaurant for dinner and they sat us at a table next to Liza Minnelli and Roger Moore around 1976

Song by Steely Dan
Drive west on Sunset
To the sea, Turn that jungle music down,
Just until we're out of town, This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion, Close your eyes and you'll be there,
It's everything they say The end of a perfect day….
Distant lights from across the bay

Bob B

@burton73 here ya go Bob...Madame Wu herself, proprietor of the Imperial Gardens. Four decade run at this address, formerly the Players Club...and a private residence prior to that. After Imperial it became the Roxbury best known for '80s celeb riff raff; followed by Myagis Restaurant, currently Pink Taco.
Hey Bob did you ever eat at Ah Fongs on Sunset, just next to Greenblatts Deli ? Currently the Laugh Factory biggrin.gif
BTW , Greenblatts recently closed its doors mad.gif

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 23 2021, 06:30 AM) *

This is great. I always wonder when looking at shots like this...where are those people today and where is that car?

@FlacaProductions That would be cool to know! I would almost say it's my old friend Renee Cortez, who often wore ski caps to keep his long hair under control and lived near Hollywood. He had a light ivory 914 like this...& the infamous guy that threw me his keys for my first 914 drive !
I have another pic of this Sunset Bl location, looks like pre WW2. The yellow line points to a (W-bound) sedan in the same spot as the 914. The Players Club in that era (Imperial Gardens in 914 pic) is visible, and the Chateau Marmont hotel is to the right (French Normandy architecture). On the left you will see a road sign Garden of Allah Hotel + Villas; singer Joni Mitchell based her song "They paved paradise and put up a Parking Lot" when the Gardens were demo'd for a shopping center. And of course Pandoras Box night club would be just out of camera range, caddy corner to the "Garden".
Good times !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@FlacaProductions
The Players Club on Sunset Bl.
Click to view attachment
Dustin
Why do you think the pic with the yellow arrow is post ww2?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Dustin @ Dec 23 2021, 10:13 PM) *

Why do you think the pic with the yellow arrow is post ww2?

Already thought that one over too (edited). The "Garden" hotel ran from 1927 to 1959. There seems to be several fat fendered cars parallel parked (w-bound Sunset Bl.) which stood out to me as post ww2 era cars. Those older models pictured are def pre-ww2. I read that since motor vehicle production (duration of ww2) was shifted to War vehicle production...these older cars were still putting around post war.
FlacaProductions
I know this stretch of Sunset pretty well but I've only been in L.A. for 10 years so my personal history is limited.

Perhaps your original 914 pic came from this Ed Ruscha project? Fascinating and I originally looked for 914s and other interesting vehicles without much success...but I kept coming back to: where are all these cars and people today!!?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/...-getty-database
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 24 2021, 08:09 AM) *

I know this stretch of Sunset pretty well but I've only been in L.A. for 10 years so my personal history is limited.

Perhaps your original 914 pic came from this Ed Ruscha project? Fascinating and I originally looked for 914s and other interesting vehicles without much success...but I kept coming back to: where are all these cars and people today!!?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/...-getty-database

Absolutely...and two other very informative sites (on iG) @la.history @alisonmartino
If you're a local fan , check out 8830 W. Sunset Bl. The Classic Cat established 1965 smile.gif
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Love these vintage L.A. pics.

Have always dug vintage city photos, but a good friend and L.A. native—plus Michael Connelly's books—have turned this SF native into a serious fan. Adding a 914 and other period rides only makes these images even cooler. There are so many cool nooks and crannies and hangouts throughout L.A., and the back stories only make them cooler.

And, if you haven't driven the 110, late at night with good tunes (whether musical or mechanical), you're truly missing out…
Maltese Falcon
Neile + Steve McQueen digging their newly acquired Jaguar XKSS fresh from Hornburg Jaguar, 9176 W. Sunset Bl. (recently relocated to LA Brea Ave.). It's in the Petersen Museum these days, it was re-sprayed white dry.gif last time I've seen it there.
Neile signed her book for me at the Egyptian Theatre where she spoke, then followed by a showing of the "Great Escape" .
Phil Spector ( the late) was known to drive his Daytona Cobra coupe on Sunset. When interviewed in a car magazine he said that he hated driving in hot traffic with No a/c and no p/s !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Mort Sahl (the late) comedian liked to roll on the Sunset Strip in his 427 Cobra. I met up with him at one of his shows backstage at the Tiffany Theatre. We had some great car chatting, and he also signed his story in "Playboy" magazine for me !
Click to view attachment
Type 47
love those fake mag hub caps...just like my 73' came with
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 24 2021, 12:36 PM) *

love those fake mag hub caps...just like my 73' came with
Click to view attachment

Amazing faux fueks, talk about Porsche thinking "Entry Level " prices biggrin.gif
andys
I'm a vintage LA fan as well, and I stop by the Noirush LA (skyscraperpage.com) site daily. Good stuff!
Andys
MM1
Good stuff - thanks for posting.
sb914
I was born and raised in so cal. We traveled all over back in the day .
My father always had his camera he took hundreds of photos.
My wife went to Beverly Hills high school.her mom used to be a waitress and has all kinds of stories about the brat pack and such . She met everyone.

All The movie stars kids went there. She even got to see the Jackson 5 .
I’ll have to look for our family photos. Dad used to have a Indian motorcycle
That he cruised all over.
Shivers
Los Angeles County, 1978. My Nephew and my 914

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
L.A. race team owner/racer John Edgar on his Vincent, parked adjacent to the "Garden of Allah" on Sunset Bl., circa 1948. Pic is from book "American Sports Car Racing in the 1950's" by Michael Lynch + William Edgar. William's collection of awesome "Period" racing pics are on his iG @william.edgar.archive
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Jack McAfee (L) and John Edgar taking delivery on a LeMans winning *Ferrari 375+ at the Los Angeles Airport/ Inglewood CA (LAX). Jack was a local SFValley resident, and was a top podium finisher in Porsche 550's. Ferry Porsche awarded him with a Dealership in the Valley; Jack was the youngest at the time to receive that recognition. These days Jack's son Rex is into race photography, and works with PCA and 356 registry. More awesome work by Rex on his iGram @rexmcafee
*Ralph Lauren auto collection.
Photo credit William Edgar Archive...from same book in my previous post.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Strange fossilized section of a 1963 Van Nuys newspaper was dug up in our backyard Pool remodel in 2015. The underside cement deck coping was covered in newspaper , and the jackhammer ripped up this interesting chunk. Advertisement for Jack McAfee VW and Porsche dealership on Hollywood Way; even with the old VI (Victory)- 92115 tele #...go figure !
Click to view attachment

Maltese Falcon
McAfee dealership front lot on Hollywood Way in the Valley, 1960's
Click to view attachment
SKL1
Love the old pix! I still remember (surprisingly as I was only 5) going to Disneyland the year it opened and also visiting Knotts Berry Farm. Driving by all those orange groves to get there... was pretty impressive for a kid visiting from Iowa!

(love that pic of the nephew- did you make him dress up to ride in your 914?)
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 26 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Love the old pix! I still remember (surprisingly as I was only 5) going to Disneyland the year it opened and also visiting Knotts Berry Farm. Driving by all those orange groves to get there... was pretty impressive for a kid visiting from Iowa!

@SKL1 One of the Largest groves 500 trees on the 65 acre Kimberly Clark mfg campus (on Orangethorpe Bl) was recently razed in Jan. 2021. Making way for Progress: Distribution Warehoue hub.
I will def miss these sad.gif
number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 26 2021, 02:49 PM) *

@SKL1 One of the Largest groves 500 trees on the 65 acre Kimberly Clark mfg campus (on Orangethorpe Bl) was recently razed in Jan. 2021. Making way for Progress: Distribution Warehoue hub.
number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment

That’s a tough one to take, Marty. I went by that grove hundreds of times while growing up in Fullerton in the ‘60’s. I was in 6th grade in ‘61 when they started bulldozing the grove behind Raymond School. I purposely got kicked out of class to watch the carnage.
Love the vintage LA pics.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 26 2021, 02:42 PM) *

number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment

That’s a tough one to take, Marty. I went by that grove hundreds of times while growing up in Fullerton in the ‘60’s. I was in 6th grade in ‘61 when they started bulldozing the grove behind Raymond School. I purposely got kicked out of class to watch the carnage.

@KELTY360 there was an article on how the developers initially started the defoliation of the groves by injecting arsenic into the earth. Since this could create a highly polluted water table (besides dead trees), and now they will need to excavate + export hundreds of thousands of cubic yards of poisenous earth.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 26 2021, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 26 2021, 02:42 PM) *

number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment

@KELTY360 there was an article on how the developers initially started the defoliation of the groves by injecting arsenic into the earth. Since this could create a highly polluted water table (besides dead trees), and now they will need to excavate + export hundreds of thousands of cubic yards of poisenous earth.

I’ll never forget the sight of the dozer coming in with the blade at the base of the tree and just uprooting it and shoving it into a pile with the other trees. Then they’d set the pile on fire.

The developers must have figured that was too slow so they went to poisoning the ground. That’s progress for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.