Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vintage Pic from 1973, Live on the Sunset Strip
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 22 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

I'm a fan for anything vintage L.A. especially if there's a 914 in the pic. Check out that dealer D.O.T. stance! This is from a vintage online media site; westbound on the Sunset Strip in front of Imperial Gardens restaurant. Today this is the Pink Taco restaurant, Hotel Marmont is just out of frame. The large dia pole is the support for the famous Marlboro Man billboard; today the iPhone billboard.
I was still cruising in the '69SS Camaro , and didn't get that special 914 drive experience until 1974 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
There were Lots of 914s around here in the 70's and lots of dealers too, all within 20 miles of this pic;
DTLA P+A (Porsche + Audi), Max Dial, Bob Smith, Vasek Polak, Bozzani, Rusnak, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Gabriel +Olsen, Steve Taub.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 22 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Cool. But maybe the vehicle stance is due to the massive torque about to induce a wheelie.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 22 2021, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Love the picture!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 23 2021, 12:44 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 22 2021, 08:35 PM) *

Cool. But maybe the vehicle stance is due to the massive torque about to induce a wheelie.

HA! That's a good one! That's the very reason I never like them at first. My 65 GTO had a much better stance so the funny furrin' cars didn't really appeal to me until I made the decision to build a real sports car instead of an Earth turning torque monster that I'd become accustomed to.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Dec 23 2021, 01:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 09:07 PM) *

I'm a fan for anything vintage L.A. especially if there's a 914 in the pic. Check out that dealer D.O.T. stance! This is from a vintage online media site; westbound on the Sunset Strip in front of Imperial Gardens restaurant. Today this is the Pink Taco restaurant, Hotel Marmont is just out of frame. The large dia pole is the support for the famous Marlboro Man billboard; today the iPhone billboard.
I was still cruising in the '69SS Camaro , and didn't get that special 914 drive experience until 1974 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 23 2021, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

This is great. I always wonder when looking at shots like this...where are those people today and where is that car?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 23 2021, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I love old photos like this, thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 23 2021, 12:46 PM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 07:07 PM) *

Attached Image

Hi Marty my West Side LA bud,

I remembering going to the Imperial Gardens Restaurant for dinner and they sat us at a table next to Liza Minnelli and Roger Moore around 1976

Song by Steely Dan
Drive west on Sunset
To the sea, Turn that jungle music down,
Just until we're out of town, This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion, Close your eyes and you'll be there,
It's everything they say The end of a perfect day….
Distant lights from across the bay

Bob B
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 23 2021, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 23 2021, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 22 2021, 07:07 PM) *

Attached Image

Hi Marty my West Side LA bud,

I remembering going to the Imperial Gardens Restaurant for dinner and they sat us at a table next to Liza Minnelli and Roger Moore around 1976

Song by Steely Dan
Drive west on Sunset
To the sea, Turn that jungle music down,
Just until we're out of town, This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion, Close your eyes and you'll be there,
It's everything they say The end of a perfect day….
Distant lights from across the bay

Bob B

@burton73 here ya go Bob...Madame Wu herself, proprietor of the Imperial Gardens. Four decade run at this address, formerly the Players Club...and a private residence prior to that. After Imperial it became the Roxbury best known for '80s celeb riff raff; followed by Myagis Restaurant, currently Pink Taco.
Hey Bob did you ever eat at Ah Fongs on Sunset, just next to Greenblatts Deli ? Currently the Laugh Factory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
BTW , Greenblatts recently closed its doors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 23 2021, 08:13 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 23 2021, 06:30 AM) *

This is great. I always wonder when looking at shots like this...where are those people today and where is that car?

@FlacaProductions That would be cool to know! I would almost say it's my old friend Renee Cortez, who often wore ski caps to keep his long hair under control and lived near Hollywood. He had a light ivory 914 like this...& the infamous guy that threw me his keys for my first 914 drive !
I have another pic of this Sunset Bl location, looks like pre WW2. The yellow line points to a (W-bound) sedan in the same spot as the 914. The Players Club in that era (Imperial Gardens in 914 pic) is visible, and the Chateau Marmont hotel is to the right (French Normandy architecture). On the left you will see a road sign Garden of Allah Hotel + Villas; singer Joni Mitchell based her song "They paved paradise and put up a Parking Lot" when the Gardens were demo'd for a shopping center. And of course Pandoras Box night club would be just out of camera range, caddy corner to the "Garden".
Good times !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 23 2021, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

@FlacaProductions
The Players Club on Sunset Bl.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dustin
post Dec 24 2021, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,072

Why do you think the pic with the yellow arrow is post ww2?
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 24 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dustin @ Dec 23 2021, 10:13 PM) *

Why do you think the pic with the yellow arrow is post ww2?

Already thought that one over too (edited). The "Garden" hotel ran from 1927 to 1959. There seems to be several fat fendered cars parallel parked (w-bound Sunset Bl.) which stood out to me as post ww2 era cars. Those older models pictured are def pre-ww2. I read that since motor vehicle production (duration of ww2) was shifted to War vehicle production...these older cars were still putting around post war.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 24 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,628

I know this stretch of Sunset pretty well but I've only been in L.A. for 10 years so my personal history is limited.

Perhaps your original 914 pic came from this Ed Ruscha project? Fascinating and I originally looked for 914s and other interesting vehicles without much success...but I kept coming back to: where are all these cars and people today!!?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/...-getty-database
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 24 2021, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 24 2021, 08:09 AM) *

I know this stretch of Sunset pretty well but I've only been in L.A. for 10 years so my personal history is limited.

Perhaps your original 914 pic came from this Ed Ruscha project? Fascinating and I originally looked for 914s and other interesting vehicles without much success...but I kept coming back to: where are all these cars and people today!!?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/...-getty-database

Absolutely...and two other very informative sites (on iG) @la.history @alisonmartino
If you're a local fan , check out 8830 W. Sunset Bl. The Classic Cat established 1965 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 24 2021, 11:21 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Love these vintage L.A. pics.

Have always dug vintage city photos, but a good friend and L.A. native—plus Michael Connelly's books—have turned this SF native into a serious fan. Adding a 914 and other period rides only makes these images even cooler. There are so many cool nooks and crannies and hangouts throughout L.A., and the back stories only make them cooler.

And, if you haven't driven the 110, late at night with good tunes (whether musical or mechanical), you're truly missing out…
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 24 2021, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Neile + Steve McQueen digging their newly acquired Jaguar XKSS fresh from Hornburg Jaguar, 9176 W. Sunset Bl. (recently relocated to LA Brea Ave.). It's in the Petersen Museum these days, it was re-sprayed white (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) last time I've seen it there.
Neile signed her book for me at the Egyptian Theatre where she spoke, then followed by a showing of the "Great Escape" .
Phil Spector ( the late) was known to drive his Daytona Cobra coupe on Sunset. When interviewed in a car magazine he said that he hated driving in hot traffic with No a/c and no p/s !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 24 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Mort Sahl (the late) comedian liked to roll on the Sunset Strip in his 427 Cobra. I met up with him at one of his shows backstage at the Tiffany Theatre. We had some great car chatting, and he also signed his story in "Playboy" magazine for me !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Dec 24 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,790

love those fake mag hub caps...just like my 73' came with
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 24 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 24 2021, 12:36 PM) *

love those fake mag hub caps...just like my 73' came with
Attached Image

Amazing faux fueks, talk about Porsche thinking "Entry Level " prices (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:29 AM