Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
I am in the process of preparing for my windshield install and when installing the trim keepers I noticed that the lower driver side hole was mispunched, instead of a clean hole like all the others this one pushed in some of the metal. I don’t believe the trim piece will lock into the opening. I think I will have to drill a new hole unfortunately. Shall I drill above or below the original hole?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The install of the trim keepers is going well, I am using a small socket to set the clip and then using a punch to push in the pin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I would go beside not abouve or below. The height is important as it can push up or not engage if not correct.
I do have a small section of window trim I can send you if you PM me. You may find that the hole is ok and will engage if you want to check it.
Mark
Morph914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 30 2021, 12:58 PM) *

I would go beside not abouve or below. The height is important as it can push up or not engage if not correct.
I do have a small section of window trim I can send you if you PM me. You may find that the hole is ok and will engage if you want to check it.
Mark

Ideally it would work best to drill a new hole beside the existing but there is not enough room, so I think I will go just below.
I did try to get the keeper into the original hole with no luck, I do have extra so not a big deal. All the others went in with no problems.

Cheers,
John
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing the process.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming. I am looking forward to getting to this point. smile.gif
Morph914
What is being used for primer on the windshield gutter, or is this even necessary with the butyl tape?

In Auto Atlanta’s video it looks like they are using the 3m 08681 primer. Just didn’t want to spend $30 to 40 if I don’t have to.

PanelBilly
When I visited Black Forest Racing a few weeks ago I ask about installing trim. The tip John shared was to put a dab of silicone windshield glue on each clip when attaching the trim. Since the clips are likely broken anyways next time it’s removed the glue just adds a bit of adhesion. If the trim doesn’t snap into the clip 100%, the glue holds it on. Less chance of the trim flying off when your driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.