Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT Oil System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Hi everyone,

We recently were commissioned to create modern 3D renderings of the 914-6 GT oil cooling system, based upon the original hand sketch renderings. We did this by creating a 3D model, which we could then export renderings. Under the terms of my work, I maintained the right to share these renderings with the online Porsche community.

More renderings can be found on my website at http://www.uber-werks.com/porsche-914-6-gt...ication-system/

Perhaps these can be of use to some.

Many thanks,
peteyd
So awesome!

Thank you for sharing

Pete
Shivers
Thank you!
Dion
Nice, thanks for posting and for your link as well.
johnhora
Very nice Thomas...thanks for sharing
Maltese Falcon
That's just so Cool + thank you for sharing...make some poster-size (for framing); would look really good displayed near the GT smile.gif
number40_914.jpg
PanelBilly
I wish I had this when I was building my car. It’s going to help so many people who have yet to address the plumbing. I nominate this for the classic section of the site.
mepstein
beerchug.gif
mb911
Love it. Thanks
Cairo94507
Very cool. beerchug.gif
pfreiburger
Yes, thank you! This is the nicest detail rendering that I have seen.
914Toy
Not an expert, but it appears to me that the scavenger oil pipe is connected to the bottom of the oil tank with a T connection to the vent and top oil filler pipe, and is not connected first to the thermostat? I look forward to someone clarifying this.
rgalla9146

Thomas your diagram provides a much clearer view of the many parts in the OEM
system.
It shows that the standard parts of the 6 system (no front cooler) are virtually intact.
The added features (around the tank) are almost entirely attached to the filter
console.
It's odd that front oil cooler plumbing on 914 6 GT is so complicated compared
to that on a 911
Thank you for posting......beautiful work !

gms
Very nice! there are 2 changes
this is the oil pipe/hose that goes on the engine oil cooler, it is braided stainless with a blue tracer. This braided stainless with a blue tracer is used between the front oil cooler and the brass side oil pipes

Click to view attachment
SixerJ
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jan 3 2022, 04:22 PM) *

Hi everyone,

We recently were commissioned to create modern 3D renderings of the 914-6 GT oil cooling system, based upon the original hand sketch renderings. We did this by creating a 3D model, which we could then export renderings. Under the terms of my work, I maintained the right to share these renderings with the online Porsche community.

More renderings can be found on my website at http://www.uber-werks.com/porsche-914-6-gt...ication-system/

Perhaps these can be of use to some.

Many thanks,

Great renderings!

Cannot believe that no one as asked the obvious question (to me) are the people who commissioned planning on producing any of the parts

After collecting bits for years I'm still missing some key parts and connectors

Hopefully someone is seriously thinking of re-producing!
siverson
Very cool! Thanks for posting!

One small mistake I made when first building my car is I used AN-12 oil lines everywhere. As your drawing shows, the intake (M30) is larger than the output (M26).

So I'm correcting that now and changing the intake to AN-16. Probably should just use AN-16 everywhere or even AN-20 and AN-16.

-Steve
Bullethead
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jan 10 2022, 10:59 AM) *

Cannot believe that no one as asked the obvious question (to me) are the people who commissioned planning on producing any of the parts

agree.gif

The one impossible to find piece is the preschona valve being reproduced by AJS, perfect in every detail, almost prohibitively expensive. But what accurate alternatives are there? Also, thermostats?
gms
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jan 10 2022, 01:19 PM) *

agree.gif

The one impossible to find piece is the preschona valve being reproduced by AJS, perfect in every detail, almost prohibitively expensive. But what accurate alternatives are there? Also, thermostats?

In 1971 Porsche switch to this less expensive valve, repro are available for less the preschona repro.

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
I was familiar with these but still expensive, and are they adjustable?

The reproduction cooler made by FSH can be had with the valve built in for additional $$. Nicely made, BTW.

Readily available Watts adjustable valves are cheap... maybe modifying one and plating it gets the job done. You could even have a cap made to complete the disguise. Thoughts?

Click to view attachment
SixerJ
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jan 10 2022, 07:19 PM) *

agree.gif

Russ, just for clarity assume you taking about aj serrano. Indeed a spendy item.....
Steve
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Feb 4 2022, 05:47 AM) *

agree.gif

Russ, just for clarity assume you taking about aj serrano. Indeed a spendy item.....

Excuse my ignorance, but I have been running AN-16 tank to cooler, AN12 to Mocal thermostat/cooler for over 30 years. AFAIK these type of parts were never used on production cars, why the extravagant collection on a GT car? And like most said, these parts are super expensive and why the hassle if its not a real GT?
914Toy
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 4 2022, 07:29 AM) *

agree.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but I have been running AN-16 tank to cooler, AN12 to Mocal thermostat/cooler for over 30 years. AFAIK these type of parts were never used on production cars, why the extravagant collection on a GT car? And like most said, these parts are super expensive and why the hassle if its not a real GT?

I agree Steve. My system is the same as the 911 front oil cooler setup (SC's, Carrera's etc), logical and simple.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 4 2022, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 4 2022, 07:29 AM) *

agree.gif

I agree Steve. My system is the same as the 911 front oil cooler setup (SC's, Carrera's etc), logical and simple.

agree.gif
The real GT system seems an uncharacteristically complicated design for
Porsche.
A 911 thermo is a good fit for a 914 chassis

gms
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 4 2022, 09:29 AM) *

agree.gif

They both can work, some people like the factory correct look...to each his own
sixnotfour
914-6gt Oil sytem is based off 911R sytem wich then got simplified on the RSR, non adjustable relief/bypass valve.. Think 24hr racing temperature change to cool to hot ,,adust the cooler bypass..Good Ole Days..
rgalla9146

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have each and every part of it.....
and the car it belongs in !
Steve
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2022, 09:20 AM) *

914-6gt Oil sytem is based off 911R sytem wich then got simplified on the RSR, non adjustable relief/bypass valve.. Think 24hr racing temperature change to cool to hot ,,adust the cooler bypass..Good Ole Days..

Thanks for explanation!! Way cool!! I would love to do it to my six, but with different rims, etc, my car isn't really a GT clone, so probably not worth it. It would look way cool on a real GT clone like PMB's car or conedodger.

sixnotfour
I made a replica bypass valve for Eric, and brass oil lines,, My GT ex Jon Lowe has it all..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.