Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do these cylinder head numbers mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
Below the valve cover there is a set of 3 numbers on the cylinder head. What do these indicate?

Click to view attachment

BTW - the water droplets in the background are a new feature. I thought the 996 was the first water cooled rear engine for Porsche, but this little engine has them beat.

Click to view attachment

It seems the PO left the carbs off the engine. I got it onto the stand today, removed the exhaust manifold and found one side had water. Rotated the engine and had water dump out of an exhaust port. So glad I saved money on this instead of paying a few thousand more for a car that runs and was well taken care of.

DaveB
914Sixer
Casting numbers, may be a date code but do not know.
DaveB
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 3 2022, 11:38 AM) *

Casting numbers, may be a date code but do not know.

I figured it might be a casting lot code. If so, I was looking to decipher it to see if it aligned to the same time frame as the engine.
DaveB
And now the cause of the water....

Click to view attachment

I spy a little valve

Click to view attachment

I just don't think it will pass DEQ in Oregon like this.

DaveB
930cabman
Happy New Year (not)

That's ugly, good luck with the repairs
914Mels
With any luck that loose valve may not of gone thru the piston, keeping the lower end intact.
914sgofast2
The water has probably destroyed the pistons and cylinders, looking at the rust on the valve train.
DaveB
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jan 3 2022, 03:52 PM) *

The water has probably destroyed the pistons and cylinders, looking at the rust on the valve train.

The other head has a cracked valve which also let water leak into the piston chamber. Top end is basically toasted and it will cheaper to just replace than rework. The broken valve cracked the piston but the connecting rod looks straight. I've got the cylinders off and will dig into the rotating assembly this weekend.

The PO showed me a video he took getting the engine started a few years ago. He put on a carb conversion and hot wired it. My guess is the car was sitting for 8 or 9 years with the intakes open gathering rust and snapped the seized parts when he decided to fire the engine. I knew something was wrong when I could smell gas mixed with the oil.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DaveB
ClayPerrine
blink.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

That hurts to look at...

Good luck.

Clay
914Mels
On old VW type 1 engines we used to check the rods for bends by pushing a wrist pin through them while they were attached to the crankshaft. If it slid through easily we knew the rods were straight. I think this works on the type 2 engine also. The rod bearings have to be installed to do this.
Porschef
QUOTE(DaveB @ Jan 3 2022, 01:46 PM) *

So glad I saved money on this instead of paying a few thousand more for a car that runs and was well taken care of.

DaveB

Violation of Rule #1 dry.gif

sad.gif

Maybe consider the money saved as tuition? beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.