Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer Door Handle INOP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Went to move the 914 for winter storage today and the outer door handle was INOP, acting as if the door was locked. I unlocked it with the key, no change; I went in from the passenger side to unlock it -- and it was already unlocked. Had to roll down the window so I could reach in from outside.

Behaves as expected from the inside door handle, locked and unlocked.

Haven't looked at it, have not pulled the door card. Just curious if this is a known problem so I can consider buying any required parts in advance.

Thanks!
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 6 2022, 06:12 PM) *

Went to move the 914 for winter storage today and the outer door handle was INOP, acting as if the door was locked. I unlocked it with the key, no change; I went in from the passenger side to unlock it -- and it was already unlocked. Had to roll down the window so I could reach in from outside.

Haven't looked at it, have not pulled the door card. Just curious if this is a known problem so I can consider buying any required parts in advance.

Thanks!

Most likely the door cam actuator. They're plastic and tend to be the weak link in the door latch system.
https://914rubber.com/door-cam-actuator-1-1

Dan
GregAmy
Looks easy enough, I'll replace both. Thanks!
Jett
It is important to note that the reason these break can be due to the locking mechanism being gummed up…. Clean and lube them once every two years and it makes a big difference.
Mikey914
Yep, just clean up and lubricate. It takes longer to get it out than to change out the “cam”
TheCabinetmaker
Jett is referring to the latch, not the lock. They need to be cleaned regularly. They not only cause the actuator to break, but will eventually break the flap on the handle.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes the plastic door cam has broken. It was the very first repro part for the 914 we ever made, back in 1984!!!! Made from nylon and we guarantee for life and have never had a broken one

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 6 2022, 05:12 PM) *

Thanks!

GregAmy
Follow up: yup, finally got around to getting in there and the white piece of plastic is broken around its ring.

Unfortunately, so is one of of the pot metal arms that actuates it. Crap. Found the missing arm in the bottom of the door.

- How do you replace the plastic part? Do I have to drill out the roll pin where it pivots?

- And I'm hoping someone has a decent source for a replacement driver's side door handle? Driver quality. I don't need the lock barrel but I do need the spring, it's missing.

I also found the inside of the door is bronze (it's a red car) so this thing has been through the ringer.

I've given thought to re-keying the car so I can dump the VW ignition key, but I've seen asking prices for re-key sets and I'm not that motivated. My (black) Porsche key opens the two doors and the trunk, a VW key works the ignition, and nothing I have works the glovebox or front trunk cable. I don't have a valet key (I'm OK with that).

Though I do have a Porsche ignition barrel in the parts box (wrong key wafers though). Must be the later style, because per this link I can put a punch in the side and the lock barrel will slide right out (chrome ring). Is someone able to re-key that to my key, and if so, will that barrel fit in my 1974?

Yeah, it's a mongrel. But it's my mongrel.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
door latch cam, very first aftermarket part we ever made for the 914 back in 84. We make ours from a special nylon material and guarantee for life never had a warranty claim. b914531905c

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 6 2022, 05:12 PM) *

Thanks!

Mikey914
Neither have we biggrin.gif
GregAmy
...and the door handle? Plastic part don't work too nice with a broken door handle...
Mikey914
They should have flex, but you are correct, if the assembly gets gummed up enough they should fail 1st.
I was mostly being a smart a$$. When these things fail, it’s usually quite evident that the problem is the build up of crud over time.
GregAmy
I'll concur that they are/were a mess. Yes, this shoujld be a regular maintenance item.

I do see some driver-quality used door handles on eBay for about $95. There's also some "new" ones but I view those with suspicion.

To that other question: how do you replace the plastic bit without damaging the arms? Do I drill out the roll pin holding the halves together? I can't see any other way to get it apart. And if so, what size pin do I replace it with?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.