Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big business changes for me 914-6werkshop.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 28 2022, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2022, 02:55 PM) *

I’m still confused why people don’t just use the diagonal on the a-arms.

They are not stressed to be used as a tie down, and you could end up with a bent control arm.

Clay

I’m not buying it. It’s a big steel rod. They are stressed a whole lot more every time you hit a bump or pot hole.
johnhora
I've seen and removed a few with the diagonal bent right here from being tied down to a trailer or snatched from an off track track excursion or out of a ditch.
I was always amazed at this thinking it was very strong part but apparently not at certain angles...

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
So you can tow with the frame mounts with 3/8" steel keeping them spaced properly between point to point. You are also use 6 - bolts directly to the frame ( my design - 4 if you count only the factory mounts) in the front of the A arm. You will also be supported by the A arm and the rear mounts which have 4 more bolts.

Or you can attach to a tube that is welded to the mounts relying only on the strength of the welds. Forget about lateral loads that can distort that support. Yes that bar is not a primary structure. It is a support to hold assembly at the short end ( hub and wheel) in alignment.

So can you pull from it, yes. Do you want to???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.