Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pressure thru the roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
Big day car back together and fired up YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Problem it is running like stromberg.gif

So I break out the tools of the trade Fuel Pressure gauge and timing light. 914 1974 2.0L with D-jet just so you know what your dealing with here, I work in IT but my helpdesk skills suck.

So timing is dead on, but fuel pressure is running at 60 psi, so I grab the wrench and crank on the pressure regulator - never comes down, until I have the bolt in my hand then it drops to zero. DOAH!

So I grab another I have in the spare EFI bin pop it in, same dang thing. Oh this is frustrating. So how do I test the return fuel line for a blockage? I have thought about air, and just seeing what I get, but not sure where the blockage would be any-thoughts of something else to check before I rip into.

Note: once I got it to sit at 32 - 40 psi and it ran like it should, that last oh 1-2 seconds.

TIA, Stephen
Cap'n Krusty
Run a hose from the outlet side of the FPR to a bucket. Plug the return hose that you removed to do this. Run the engine, check the fuel pressure. The Cap'n
lylegd
You might have your pressure regulator valve installed backwards. When this is done, the regulator is totally closed all the time and what you see for pressure is the full output from your pump. You are not the only person to do this. Reverse the infeed and outfeed lines and measure the pressure again. Of course you will have to adjust it as you have moved the set screw.
Lyle
John
agree.gif with Cap'n Krusty

That would tell you if your return line is indeed blocked.

If it is blocked, the safest thing to do would be to pull the tank and find the block in the line.

Have you had the tank out recently? Perhaps a hose under the tank is pinched off?
Allan
QUOTE (lylegd @ Jul 29 2005, 07:04 PM)
You might have your pressure regulator valve installed backwards

agree.gif BTDT, just ask Scott, Joe, Aaron and Clayton.

They were there. wink.gif
scotty914
you can also just pull off the return line going to the tank in the engine bay and blow into the line if it is clogged this might clear it, or it will at least tell you if it is clogged. if it is, and you can't blow it out by mouth, take a 1 foot peice of fule line and run it from the supply to the return and use the fuel pump to blow it clear. the advantage of doing it this way is you can check to see if the return line has a leak as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.