Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fat Performance/Rimco
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
So a few weeks ago I posted about my motor going kaput (or close to it, it still runs but oil sample had lots of metal in it). After the discussion on my thread about a new engine I've zeroed in on just doing a 2056. Now I could either build it myself, which means lots of downtime, or have someone else build it. It looks like Fat has a 2056 long block available for ~$7500. Kind of seems like it's in the ballpark for a rebuild. But before I would pull the trigger on something like that does anyone have any experience with Fat lately? I've read both good and bad since they've been purchased by Rimco.
914Sixer
Get Clay to recommend some on local in the Dallas area.
bdstone914
I have heard more negative reviews on FAT since it was sold to Rimco.
Go local and deal in person withbthe builder.
drem914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 5 2022, 11:41 AM) *

I have heard more negative reviews on FAT since it was sold to Rimco.
Go local and deal in person withbthe builder.

Any good recommendations for So Cal builders?
barnfind9141972
@Rob-O @drem914 you can also call Jorge at European Motorworks in Hawthorne, CA. For Rob, if you were going Rimco you were already looking at shipping or pickup which I’ve heard of Jorge doing shipping before just ask him for instructions and a quote. He did Ian Karr’s line bore it’s in one of his videos. For drem914 he’s a SoCal builder and did my car, he’s busy but should be able to get you in and can do any displacement you want pretty much. Just passing who I’ve had personal experience with
Rob-O
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 5 2022, 10:47 AM) *

Get Clay to recommend some on local in the Dallas area.

I’ll ask Clay. My guess is that he’d recommend the same set of shops that I already know. Zims Autotechnik talked about going the Fat direction. Mayo is another shop here in DFW but I think now that Ed Mayo had moved on the 914 experience has moved on with him. Not positive about that but I will look into it.

Just thought I’d check into the Fat/Rimco idea. The idea of getting a long block and slapping my old parts on and stuffing it into the car was appealing.
infraredcalvin
I have a race motor that FAT built last year, there are a few others on the board as well that had street motors built at the same time. It’s my understanding they (we) are all happy with our builds. Their bad rep came from decades ago when they were first sold and the old guard left. That’s old news, do your own diligence, talk with the engine builder and gain a comfort level.
Rob-O
Thanks all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.