Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New video sunday 2/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Here's the latest episode...installing a refurbished steering rack and all front suspension components, with links to more detail. Hope you find it helpful or at least a good way to spend 20 minutes on a cold Sunday. It's 14 here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUncPMQ14A
rgalla9146

Ian I give you massive props.
You turn what is often difficult into digestable and doable projects.
Great job.
Thank you
Front yard mechanic
Nice & clean no swearing and no bloodshed beer3.gif
914Sixer
Another way to install ball joint. Install ball joint into strut first and install pin. You can then rotate the joint into the slot in arm easily. Install in control arm, put bottom lock nut on. Rotate around for alignment of for strut mount, compress shock down and install into the strut bearing. Gas shocks will shoot right into hole. Hydraulic will require you to pull them up. You can use an old engine lid cable to do that. Tighten everything up to spec.
tygaboy
Awesome, as always! aktion035.gif
Superhawk996
We need links to Ian's videos nailed to the Garage header.

Ought to be the first place to look for information for anyone not familiar with these cars.

I'm blown away the the production quality! We're lucky to have Ian in the community and doing these video's! first.gif
bdstone914
Great job. Dont forget to bent down the tabs on the plates under the caliper bolts. They keep the bolts from backing out. Or use wave washers like the are on the rear calipers.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 6 2022, 11:01 AM) *

We need links to Ian's videos nailed to the Garage header.

Ought to be the first place to look for information for anyone not familiar with these cars.

I'm blown away the the production quality! We're lucky to have Ian in the community and doing these video's! first.gif

I'll second this. Always enriching to watch Ian's work.

Dan
DBF
Thanks again for another great video!
iankarr
Thanks so much guys. Glad to contribute to this amazing community. Bruce…you’re absolutely right about the lock down tabs. And for that matter, the tab on top of the strut needs to be bent upward and locked as well. Thanks for the note and reminder to anyone watching.

The trouble with these videos is deciding how much detail to go into. Nearly every step of restoring a car, no matter how small, is important. I don’t want these to be a “manual” since I’m not a pro, nor do I want to lead people to believe that if you “just follow these steps exactly” you’ll be as good as a pro. My main goal is to inspire people to learn more, and discover the joys of wrenching. Also, shooting every washer and bolt would be a snooze fest smile.gif That said, I’m totally open to suggestions… and welcome people pointing out important things to consider. I try to straddle the line between showing the general scope of what’s involved, some key details, and entertainment. If you guys think I should tilt things more in one direction or the other, please let me know. The one thing I always want to communicate is to work within your comfort zone and keep safety a top priority. 914s are great fun, but working on them commands respect.

Thanks as always!

Ian
Cairo94507
I appreciate and would watch all of your videos regardless of length. I learn so much with each video. Thanks for all of the time and effort it takes to produce these for our community. You sir, are a valuable asset.
Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
914werke
aktion035.gif One note, about the dust covers, the color can also provide info as to what inserts "should" be found installed.
Oil damped OE Boge inserts = Black
Gas damped Bilstein inserts = Green
Gas or oil damped Koni inserts = Red
GBX0073
Ian the videos always have a good balance, and appreciate the humor added.
My workflow its I watch them over a few times before taking on the task ,And yes a quick reference on my phone while I am in the middle of the job too smile.gif

I also Like the extra info notes in the video description parts tools etc.
For extra steps and detail not in the video how about adding updates to the Video notes.
torque #'s for a quick reference would be cool
Thanks for All the time you put into making us all better at keeping our 914's on the road !
Freezin 914
Excellent! As always, thank you for all you do! beerchug.gif
jkb081
Just watched the new video. Great! One question: did all 914s come with front sway bars? I was looking at my front end, and noticed a set of tabs on both “A” arms with nothing attached to them. In watching your video, I saw that the tabs are for the sway bar mounting points. My car is a 73, 1.7. Perhaps it was an upgrade/option from the factory, or the previous owner removed it for whatever reason. Please advise. Thanks
iankarr
Not all 914s left the factory with sway bars. And not all A-arms have the tabs. Consider yourself lucky to have the option! Highly recommend at least the front sway bar.
jkb081
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 6 2022, 09:26 PM) *

Not all 914s left the factory with sway bars. And not all A-arms have the tabs. Consider yourself lucky to have the option! Highly recommend at least the front sway bar.

Thanks for the response. Just found a article on this subject from Pelican Parts. Very informative. In depth.
Chaznaster
Love these vids, Ian. Thank you.
eyecolor
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 6 2022, 07:03 AM) *

Hi Guys,

Here's the latest episode...installing a refurbished steering rack and all front suspension components, with links to more detail. Hope you find it helpful or at least a good way to spend 20 minutes on a cold Sunday. It's 14 here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUncPMQ14A

Thanks Ian

I just reupholstered my seats following your video and they turned out incredible.
My friends think I have skills. If they only knew!

The newest video will be tested in the Sring. I did a lot of this work about 10 years ago and it might be time to do it again, Properly

Keep posting

George
Delaware
krazykonrad
Ian,

Your videos are fantastic. Thanks! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.